How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

ACPI.sys is mostly power saving issue. So update the BIOS and change the power plan in Windows to high performance. Does it help?

Thank you for the reply. So i updated the BIOS and changed the power plan still facing the same problem.

ACPI.sys is mostly power saving issue. So update the BIOS and change the power plan in Windows to high performance. Does it help?

Thank you for the reply. So i updated the BIOS and changed the power plan still facing the same problem.

can you run a xperf trace and upload the ETL file?

I have uploaded a new trace as requested.

this is really strange. the HDAudio, the directX and the USBport drivers cause the issues:

Interrupt Info

--------------------------

CPU Usage Summing By Module For the Whole Trace

CPU Usage from 0 us to 33500000 us:

CPU 0 Usage, CPU 1 Usage,

usec %, usec %, Module

5470720 16.33, 0 0.00, HDAudBus.sys

5824632 17.39, 0 0.00, USBPORT.SYS

3921832 11.71, 0 0.00, dxgkrnl.sys

you use several other USB devices (Generic USB MS/CF/SM/SD Reader USB Device). Can you disable them and check it again? Also does it happen when you disable AVG? the IDSFilter.Sys driver calls some USB functions.

Also do you use the latest drivers for your graphic card ( Intel® 82945G Express Chipset)?

Hi, thanks again for your efforts.

the HDAudio, the directX and the USBport drivers cause the issues:

As far as I can find out I already updated my HD audio and display drivers from the Asrock web site months ago and nothing is found if I search for updated drivers from Device Manager.

you use several other USB devices (Generic USB MS/CF/SM/SD Reader USB Device).

Yes I have one of those (card reader - connected via internal USB) along with a webcam, printer, erm...oh, a wireless joystick, erm...that's it I think. Other things are plugged in as and when needed like my phone, camera etc but not while I've been doing the traces here.

Also does it happen when you disable AVG? the IDSFilter.Sys driver calls some USB functions.

Haven't tried but I'll try disabling it next time the problem occurs. I wouldn't want to leave it disabled for long. Is the IDSFilter.sys just related to the Identity Protection feature? If so could I just disable that particular part?

Also do you use the latest drivers for your graphic card ( Intel® 82945G Express Chipset)?

As discussed above the display is integrated on the MB so I've always just used the drivers from Asrock. To my knowledge I am using the latest ones from them.

EDIT - Actually I may be wrong, I have a vague memory that maybe I did use a driver directly from Intel some time ago. Dev Mgr shows it as v. 8.15.10.1930 dated 23/09/2009 from Intel so that sounds like what I did. I'll have another look there at Intel website now. EDIT2 - Yep that looks like the latest driver, (strangely also numbered as 15.12.75.4.64.1930). Intel now describes it as discontinued so I don't know if they're updating it anymore?

Edited by hottroc

The problem occurred yesterday again, I tried to disable AVG but there doesn't appear to be any way to do so without completely uninstalling. I can disable individual elements, so I just disabled the Identity Protection feature but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I have disabled all my USB devices (I think) in Device Manager now so will see if that has an effect. I'll post a new trace if/when the problem occurs next time.

do the old Clean Boot approach and eliminate all 3rd party apps/services.

I think I answered that in post #390.

It sounds like this topic isn't the answer I hoped it would be. Basically I cannot understand why there is no tool available that can show what device is using the interrupts. Surely Microsoft should have invented this by now. I would have thought it was an essential part of any OS to know when and what devices are calling for action, but xperf isn't really helping here. Is there another tool that can do what I need?

Having said that I do want to thank you for your help and effort. I really appreciate it even if in this instance the answer wasn't found.

xperf doesn't show all. I helps to get some hints. I can see that the HDD is busy most the time and that those 3 drivers cause a lot of CPU usage. Write a PM to cluberti so that he can look at the latest trace. he is the genius here and knows more compared to us normal users.

To get a better help you should contact the MS Support if we can't help ypu.