How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Hi Andre,

I haven't posted a trace yet becuase the original instructions told us to run the trace until we expereianced a problem and I have yet to expereiance one while running the trace.

But not being sure if that was still a condition I realized i should let you know whats going on and see if that changed the strategy at this point.

I did run one trace where I had sonar working plus allot of other activity and the sumary information then listed many processes, with USB at the top, but again, not sure if these are right conditions under which i should generate the trace file.

The Latency monitor app still reports I have issues that could cause audio drop outs,its just I have yet to expereiance them//Also FYI, I will be traveling later this week away from my home studio compouter so should I delay to respond, you know why.

Again, thans for your time and help. I sincerely appreciate it

HSC III

It's hard to help when you have provided so little information. Since this was your first post we have no idea what your experience is or what you know how to do. What is your reason you felt you needed to come to this thread, ie what exactly is your problem?

What have you done? Did you install the Windows Performance Tools Kit.? What did you do to get the prompt "C:\Users\Theo>" Do you know what that is/means? Do you know how to find your Temp directory and open a cmd prompt window there? The first post in this thread is the tutorial. What part of it do you not understand? How did you "isolate the problem to Hal.dll and iaStor.sys"? Is there anything you think might be helpful for us to know about your system, either hardware or software?

If you expect help, you have to do your part. We will HELP you, NOT do it for you.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Apologies. You understand the despair of having a laptop problem and having no idea how to fix it. I've gone solo before, but this is above my head. But don't insult my lack of intelligence too much; I wouldn't stumble across this thread unless I was here for the exact reason everybody else is - Latency. LatencyMON has shown me that hal.dll, iaStor.sys and USBport.sys have either IRS and/or DPC's on a different planet to everything else.

Anyway yes most of what you said is true. I installed the Tools Kit, but now, what, the rest is too vague for me to follow. Do you mean the C:\Temp file that is found in C\Windows\Temp? How do I open the Command Prompt in that?

ok, I see you have issues with the command line. Install this programm:

http://code.kliu.org/cmdopen/

It adds 2 new items to the context menu (right click):

cmdopen-2.0-menus.png

Open the Windows Explorer, go to C:\temp, make a right click and select "Open Elevated Command Prompt" and run the first command. Wait 30s and next run the second command. Now compress the etl with to a RAR or 7z file and upload it to our SkyDrive, dropbox or whatever you use and send me the link.

have you renamed the kernel.etl to DPC_interrupt? You must run the 2nd command and give me this file.

From your current trace I can see that Google Chrome causes high HDD usage and this causes ATAport.sys Interrupts. Install the latest SATA drivers, look if your laptop supports running AHCI instead of IDE and check the HDD with chkdsk.

have you renamed the kernel.etl to DPC_interrupt? You must run the 2nd command and give me this file.

From your current trace I can see that Google Chrome causes high HDD usage and this causes ATAport.sys Interrupts. Install the latest SATA drivers, look if your laptop supports running AHCI instead of IDE and check the HDD with chkdsk.

Yes, I did. I thought they were the same, apologies :)

I'll do it again and pm you the link. Thanks!

Total = 12235 for module ndis.sys

Elapsed Time, > 256 usecs AND <= 512 usecs, 43, or 0.35%

Elapsed Time, > 512 usecs AND <= 1024 usecs, 0, or 0.00%

Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 0, or 0.00%

Elapsed Time, > 2048 usecs AND <= 4096 usecs, 12, or 0.10%

Looks like your network adapter is the cause. So update the driver for your realtek network adapter. Also make sure you sue the latest Hamachi version. Do you play Diablo with Hamachi?

Looks like your network adapter is the cause. So update the driver for your realtek network adapter. Also make sure you sue the latest Hamachi version. Do you play Diablo with Hamachi?

just updated the driver from the realtek website from 5/22, and i'm still having the issue, i don't play diablo with hamachi and when i run the xperf test hamachi isnt enabled, i pm'd you the second test too

edit: my network adapter has been having some issues with turning on and off (when i hibernate my computer and turn it on in the morning the adapter disappears, even though it isnt set to turn off to save power) and i have had some problems with my browser showing a lot of "time outs" for a few minutes, but the other computers on my network have no issues loading pages during this time, do you think it could be an issue with the network adapter itself? i also had this issue before i moved my hard drives onto this new motherboard (with my old setup)

Edited by iatnuolas