How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

so now you use the VGA driver? Can you use the 185.93 which is part of Windows 7?

no, at the moment, there is no driver installed, when I check it throug dxdiag. its displaying 1280 times something.

I removed the LAN cable after deinstalling the nvidia driver and restarted the pc. when he rebooted, he couldnt download a driver and he didnt install a driver.

so now you use the VGA driver? Can you use the 185.93 which is part of Windows 7?

no, at the moment, there is no driver installed, when I check it throug dxdiag. its displaying 1280 times something.

I removed the LAN cable after deinstalling the nvidia driver and restarted the pc. when he rebooted, he couldnt download a driver and he didnt install a driver.

I went to the device manager and hit update driver (without internetconnection) and win7 installed automatically 266.58. but after rebooting, the error appeared again.

should I choose select driver manually? or what how do I get the inbox driver installed?

I see that the inbox driver only supports the GTX 295 as highest card (C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_lh.inf_amd64_neutral_bc69f20e3115af59). Try to select the GTX 295 and force the driver installation. if this works and you still have the high DPC issues run a new trace.

If not, make a BIOS reset, restore the powersaving options/power plans, try also older drivers. Also check the temperature of the GPU, maybe the GPUs are too hot.

Also which PSU do you use? Maybe the PSU not not powerful enough for 2 cards.

OK. I'm having an issue similar to the one described. But kind of different. Basically, when I am playing a game (even a really old one, Freespace 1 for example (it's from 1998) or an HD flash video, it will work fine for a couple minutes, then slow down dramatically for 5 to 10 seconds, then go back to normal again. And it'll do this every minute or so. During the slowdown, process explorer shows the application that's running jump up to 80% to 85% CPU usage, and the remaining 15% to 20% are taken up by Interrupts.

Here is a graph from process explorer:

menOc.png

This happens with both a pci express graphics card and an onboard graphics card.

HD videos using media player software work fine (tried media player classic, mplayer, and windows media player).

I use XP Pro x64, and don't have access to a win 7 or vista machine, which is most annoying because I'd like to look at what's happening. I did get the xperf software so could run the trace, and I was hoping it would be possible for you to take a look at it. I would if I could.

I have the etl file below. When I tried to run the x64 version of xperf, i got the error:

xperf warning: This system is not fully configured for x64 stack tracing. Please modify the registry under: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and set the value: DisablePagingExecutive <reg_Dword> = 1

Then reboot before retrying tracing.

I also ran a trace of the x86 version of xperf and made the file below:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k0hkqtc29832x9m

I did follow the directions of the x64 version and ran the trace after setting that registry value. Here is the etl of the x64 trace

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h4dh3u7qcc9fu49

I really thank you for making this thread, and sorry for asking you to look at the etl files.

Turns out RATTV3 doesn't work for XP x64. It refuses to generate the accumulator report. Plus the help file says it doesn't work with a 64 bit OS.

EDIT: Figured out the problem. MY PC throttles the CPU speed when it reaches 55°C. It reaches 55° pretty fast, too. Maybe an issue with my heat sink, or my CPU. Mystery solved at least!

Edited by GreenGlowingGoo

I see that the inbox driver only supports the GTX 295 as highest card (C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_lh.inf_amd64_neutral_bc69f20e3115af59). Try to select the GTX 295 and force the driver installation. if this works and you still have the high DPC issues run a new trace.

If not, make a BIOS reset, restore the powersaving options/power plans, try also older drivers. Also check the temperature of the GPU, maybe the GPUs are too hot.

Also which PSU do you use? Maybe the PSU not not powerful enough for 2 cards.

Hello again!

Failed to force GTX295 driver installation (This Windows version is not supported.)

So I reseted the bios to default values, restored the power plan to their default values (I use Max Power), installed the original box driver of the graphic card (258.56), changed the power cords of the gtx460 from 2 pcie cord 6-pins to 2 molex-to-pcie adapters (included with the gtx460).

The only thing that happened is, that the load switched from cpu3 to cpu2.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b58759b11am91v1

I checked the gpu temp, see *.gif in attachements.

Its a Thermaltake Thoughpower XT 675W, at the moment Im running one card over 2 molex-to-pcie adapters I mentioned above without changement.

Sounds like a broken hardware of the moBo to me. Softwarerollback should have eleminated any driver collisions, RAM's are ok, gpu-mem ok. Could check cpu with the OCCT cpu stress test and gpu stress test. When I connected My usb3 drive after the LAN party, I got an error message, Voltage overload on the usb3 port, perhaps it has something to do with that, cause the asrock p55deluxe3 has a optimisation of ther pciexpress lanes between graca and sata3 and usb3.

post-347133-0-50006900-1329311248_thumb.

Edited by littlegoliath

When I connected My usb3 drive after the LAN party, I got an error message, Voltage overload on the usb3 port, perhaps it has something to do with that, cause the asrock p55deluxe3 has a optimisation of ther pciexpress lanes between graca and sata3 and usb3.

maybe or maybe not. I have no idea :no::blushing:

Do you have a friend who has updated from the older Intel iCore series to Sandy Bridge so that you can use his motherboard for testing?

Hi

I said I'd be back ;) I've been trying to play Skyrim now and find it unbearably juddery when moving or looking around. I've just done a fresh install of it, so no tweaks or mods.

I made three traces under different circumstances and I think they were all much as bad as each other, so I'd be very grateful if you could have a look and see if you can see anything that might be causing this problem.

The first trace is without the THX driver installed and with R263 of the HD Audio driver http://www.mediafire.com/?fabugqs8w73bfjv

The second trace is with the THX driver installed and all the THX effects disabled http://www.mediafire.com/?y8ttzt6c819acan

The third trace is with the HD Audio driver updated to R267, but I disabled the audio device to see if that would help and I killed as much as I could think of (antivirus, firewall, etc) http://www.mediafire.com/?t02s2vw3zyvjgrx