How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

My problem is my nividia drivers seem to be causing the problems. (Example, uninstall drivers, no more cpu usage from system interrupts) but I have no clue what to do, I have tried different drivers to no luck.

Can anyone help? It causes ripping and popping audio wise in anything cpu intensive like skyrim or deus ex...

post-339346-0-23034300-1323048614_thumb.

which GPU do you have? Some users had issues when the GPU shares the IRQ with other components. So run "C:\Windows\System32\msinfo32.exe" and check under IRQs if the GPU shares an IRQ. If this happens and your board has 2 PCIe 16 slots insert the card in the other slot and test again.

If this doesn't help, compress and upload the trace to mediafire.com and post a link here.

• 3 weeks later...

When I use BitTorrent to download stuff I do have this an intrerruption problem causing high cpu usage (see the attachement)

The ntoskrnl.exe seems to have some high values.

In Process Explorer I do see a 5-6% CPU usage for Intrerrupts.

I do have a Intel i7 @ 2.0Ghz and 12gig of ram.

What happens? My mouse starts to slug.

Thank You!

post-341592-0-74037300-1324393908_thumb.

Edited by h3x00r

• 4 weeks later...

I found that with the ndis.sys problem, going into the driver properties in Device Manager and going to your network LAN card, then enabling IEEE802.11h in the advanced tab solved the problem. Might be worth trying in the first instance instead of going through the whole process :)

Is it normal to get a bunch of results in these tests? On my DPC CPU Usage Summary Table ataport.SYS is what came up with the most usage but I really don't know how to go about fixing that one. On the other table: Interrupt CPU Usage Summary Table, hal.dll came up as the highest actual duration. Do any of my results really need to be fixed?

post-344107-0-39976000-1326774825_thumb.

post-344107-0-47164700-1326775194_thumb.

No, all devices that are plugged in run in AHCI mode. From my bios it states that the bluray drive, samsung 830, and samsung HDD run in AHCI mode. When I go to device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers it reads:

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 1

ATA Channel 3

ATA Channel 4

ATA Channel 5

Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02

I'm not sure if the above has anything to do with the problem, but figured I'd list it anyway.

Hello Andre!

I actually arrived to this thread after googling why NT Kernel & System was having CPU usage spikes on my new computer (~25% every minute or so, constantly).

I just got this Dell laptop a few days ago and CPU usage issues started happening yesterday. I did update several drivers, including those of the graphics cards and the BIOS from the Dell site.

I did everything you recommended on your post and I can't figure out what the results mean, could you help me out? I can't relate the results to a specific driver.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the Sampling Summary Table showing the culprit (ntoskrnl.exe).

If it helps I should tell you this:

- The CPU usage spikes won't happen on safe mode.

- A few days ago I shut down my computer and it started installing Windows Update files, I was in a hurry so I physically shut it down, next time when I tried to log in it crashed before the Windows start screen. I restarted it and it went fine.

Could it be that I have a corrupted ntoskrnl.exe?

post-344236-0-18981600-1326865325_thumb.

Edited by Damascus