How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Hello! I did as you asked and I recorded when I get the huge latency spike. Please tell me what I need to do to fix this!

This spike ONLY happens when I'm listening to music/watching a video AND typing at the same time.

I joined today just to get your help; I've searched everywhere and I don't know what to do.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XKZNBR0W

Edited by ZodiacFlop

the i8042prt.sys driver causes the spikes. This is the PS2 mouse/keyboard driver. I can see you use the Microsoft PS/2 Mouse/Standard PS/2 Keyboard. Can you connect them to USB?

How do I do that? I don't have a converter or anything. Oh and what about hal.dll? Isn't that causing problems too?

Edited by ZodiacFlop

I managed to find a USB mouse laying around my house and I replaced my PS/2 mouse with that one.

I ran the test again on page 1 and the USB mouse doesn't show up on the graph at all so it seems my PS/2 connections are to blame. But hal.dll is really worrying me. It's WAY higher than the PS/2 drivers in interrupt latency; is that a problem?

Oh. Whenever I checked the Interrupt DPC graph it always shows hal.dll as #1 with around 30 thousand avg time.

I disconnected my PS/2 mouse and put in a USB and it shows that it's not giving any more latency. Now it only shows my keyboard giving the high amount. I don't have a USB keyboard but I'm going to look in to buying a PS/2 to USB converter. I'll get back to you if it fixes the problem.

Also err, hal.dll had me worried so I restored my system to it's factory settings. It didn't change anything; the problem is still there but I thought I should try.

Okay I rechecked what was causing the DPC latency after I restored my system, and apparently something called storport.sys is causing just as much interrupt CPU usage as i8042prt.sys.

I also saw that USBPORT.SYS is taking up a lot of DPC CPU usage now after I restored my system to factory settings. So I have two more new problems >_< do you know how I can fix these? I tried going in to device manager and updating drivers for my USB ports but it said they're all up to date.

zoom into the spikes, and cehck the summary table. There you only see the PS2 driver as cause.

storport is HDD / RAID related:

In addition to the SCSI Port driver, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and later versions provide Storport (storport.sys), a storage port driver that is especially suitable for use with high-performance buses, such as fibre channel buses, and RAID adapters.

Source:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff567541%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Do you use such devices? Also install the Sp1, you still use the Win7 RTM with an outdated kernel.

Sorry x( I have no idea what RAID is. I don't know a lot about computers. I'm just determined to fix all these problems. HDD is an external hard drive right? No I don't use any kind of devices like that except USB storage when I need to bring files with me to school. Does that mean I shouldn't have storport.sys?

Also will getting a USB converter for my PS/2 keyboard fix my latency problem? Or should I just buy a brand new USB keyboard?

And I thought you may want to take a loot at my DPC after my system restore, so I put it on mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?spoprg8t3si7wne

I'm reupdating my OS with service pack 1 as I type this.

And sorry again. I thought you meant I needed to select the interval of the entire graph, not just the spikes. When I did that it showed hal.dll as the highest.

Edited by ZodiacFlop

Hey again,

I posted my problem a few days ago and I feel stupid for thinking the PS/2 thing was something to do with the PS2 emulator I installed like a year ago but I see that ZodiacFlop is experiencing the same problem as me.

According to the Latencymon test, it says that the hal.dll, HDAudBus.sys and the i8042prt.sys drivers are causing the popping noises.

I am also using a keyboard and mouse with a PS/2 plug so I know that the drivers for these are causing the problems.

Going to try an USB/Keyboard mouse asap to see if this changes...

dpctest.png

Edited by Illisvyel