How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Hello Andre,

I've been looking for newer chipset drivers, I've updated all my other drivers such as the network adapter, wireless, etc. I have updated the Intel Storage Matrix drivers which should contain chipset drivers as well correct?

The main usb devices I use on my system are the following.

Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ

Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol X1

They both have the latest drivers installed, however the spike occur when they are connected or not regadless.

Edited by djquartz

The main usb devices I use on my system are the following.

Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ

Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol X1

They both have the latest drivers installed, however the spike occur when they are connected or not regadless.

contact the Native Instruments support about this.

What I meant to say is I still get high spikes when those devices are not connected. I was just stating which usb devices I use normally with this system.

I can get the same spikes without those devices connected. So what I'm trying to troubleshoot is the source of the spikes being seen in windows without any external devices.

I'm a beta tester for Native Instruments so I always get the newest drivers when available and I have been in contact directly regarding dpc issues.

However the system has the issue when just sitting idle without any external usb devices connected.

Also, with suspending the acpi.sys thread with Process Explorer, it stops the spikes with or without these same devices connected.

Edited by djquartz

I found a utility that actually was able to identify the chipset properly. I have the Intel GM45 Express chipset on my motherboard.

I'm looking for updated chipset drivers to see if I can update the usb controller drivers. The current drivers installed are from 2007.

I think, keyword THINK, I might have fixed the problem. Now I don't know if it's a combination or just the driver update that fixed it.

I had a Seagate 500gb 5400 rpm drive installed as a secondary drive in my laptop for over a year now.

I replaced it with a 750gb 7200rpm drive this evening after ghosting all the data over to it.

Now, I booted up and yes I still had spikes shortly after my last post about the chipset, etc.

So I jumped on the Intel website in search of newer drivers. It's telling me my chipset drives are the latest released 2009, which I don't fully believe. I updated my Intel 5100 drives about a week ago to a 2009 release because that's all I could find. The online inf identifier informed me there was a newer driver for my wireless adapter as of 07/2010.

I installed that driver and checked with the dpc latency checker. I had no red spikes, nothing but green. Also, keep in mind I have my wireless disabled when using audio applications.

<UPDATE>

While typing this message I seen a couple yellow spikes, and then one red spike. However, it has really improved from previous because I would get them continuously with the wireless disabled. I think the laptop was running for almost 15 minutes straight without any spikes which has never happened before.

I'm still in search to see if I can find updated chipset drivers because that could be the missing piece of the puzzle and solve the interrupts for good.

Found a newer installer from a thread and learned a good piece of information. I had to install the inf updated with the /overall switch. This forced the new drivers onto the system. Now I have usb drivers 8.3.1.1011from 2008 installed and my controller drivers, etc are updated to 9.3.1.1013 from 2009.

I'll have to see how my system performs now.

I was using my laptop as normal and it became slower and slower until it almost ground to a halt. So I rebooted, thats when the problem started. This isnt the first time either its quite regular.

I have the trace commands set as .bat files on my desktop, it took 20 minutes to run the trace and to stop the trace and the desktop to fully load.

I dont know how much use the .etl file is or if it even captured all of the problems.

Looks to me like svchost.exe is the culprit, but there are so many processes below this tree that I cant pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

http://rapidshare.com/files/435243592/100_CPU.ETL

the Indexer casues the issue:

Process Name, Process, Stack, Count, Time (s), Cpu, Count: Sampled Profile
System, System (4), [Root], 8652, , , 8652
, , |- ntkrpamp.exe!PspSystemThreadStartup, 8496, , , 8496
, , | |- ntkrpamp.exe!ExpWorkerThread, 8232, , , 8232
, , | | |- syscache.sys!ScpInitializationWorker, 7969, , , 7969
, , | | | syscache.sys!ScpInitializeCache, 7969, , , 7969
, , | | | |- ntkrpamp.exe!ZwLoadKeyEx, 7968, , , 7968
, , | | | | ntkrpamp.exe!KiFastCallEntry, 7968, , , 7968
, , | | | | ntkrpamp.exe!NtLoadKeyEx, 7968, , , 7968
, , | | | | ntkrpamp.exe!CmLoadKey, 7968, , , 7968
, , | | | | |- ntkrpamp.exe!CmpCmdHiveOpen, 7967, , , 7967

syscache.sys = discache.sys = System Indexer/Cache Driver

I don't know why the driver opens registry hives. How large is your Index? reduce the size of the indexed locations.

You can also run Process Monitor in background and look which registry values are being read all the time.

Hello Andre, thanks a lot for this tutorial, it is very helpful.

My problem with High CPU usage by Interrupts begins 5 secs AFTER I run a game. However, the problem doesn't appears allways I run a game (I can't determinate why sometimes the problem shows up and other times it doesn't)

When the high CPU Usage begins, it doesn't stop when I (slowly and patiently) shut down the game. The problem remains for about 5 minutes, and then the computers is back to normal.

Here are the pics when i have just shut down the game and the problem remains:

23ml8xh.png

30230nm.png

I Have:

-AMD Phenom II x6 1090 T Processor

-ATI Raedon HD 5770 Graphic Card

-Asus M4A89GTD PRO Motherboard

I hope you can help me solve this problem, I am dealing with this since I purchase this computer. Any ideas about what SCSIPort.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, and ataport.sys?

Thankyou Andre

PD: Sorry for my bad english

Any ideas about what SCSIPort.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, and ataport.sys?

SCSIport and ATAport.sys are HDD drivers. Are you using the latest drivers for your ASUS motherboard?

dxgkrnl.sys = DirectX driver which is used for Aero Glass. Are you using the latest ATI/AMD Catalyst driver?

You are the man Andre... I had high CPU usage on 3 different PC's and couln't figure out what the cause was. I formatted the first two and the issue went away but I was determinned to find the cause on the 3rd. I came across this forum and your information. I was able to use xperf to find that the driver fslx.sys which is tied to Norton was the cause of my issue. I had a norton/firefox virtual browser installed which I removed and since then the issue has been none existant.

Mine was hard to troubleshoot because sometime I could go almost a day without high cpu usage so it took me alomost a week of trying different things to figure this out. I def could not have done it without the info provided here.

Thanks

Any ideas about what SCSIPort.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, and ataport.sys?

SCSIport and ATAport.sys are HDD drivers. Are you using the latest drivers for your ASUS motherboard?

dxgkrnl.sys = DirectX driver which is used for Aero Glass. Are you using the latest ATI/AMD Catalyst driver?

Thanks for the answer Andre, I think I am going to format and reinstall Windows 7 all over again, because I'm very confused about what is actually installed and what it isn't (this days I installed, uninstalled, and re-installed A LOT of applications, drivers. etc)...

I will be back in here maybe tomorrow or in a few days for posting my results.