How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i'm getting high DPCs all time, and even on idle my CPU never goes to 0%, always around 2%. DPC are around 1000us all time flat, tested with DPC Latency Checker. It causes my system don't work good.., i'm work in Audio production and get drop outs.

Here is my ETL file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7yzqsba2bsdd2da/DPC_Interrupt%20VOSTA.rar

I'm using Vista Ultimate x86.

My Rig:

- C2D @ 3000MHz

- GA P35 DS3L

- 4GB ram

- 3 Terabytes hdd.

- GeForce 6600gt

Please help me!! I've tryed everything! :realmad:

One thing: i'm testing Windows 7 (x64) on same machine.., and no errors at all... 13us dpc WTF! :}

Thanks.

Edited by bertox

update your nVIDIA driver for the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT. Also update the driver wdmqua.sys (QUARTET Audio Driver?)

The trace says you use an Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, not a Core2Duo.

CPU 0 Usage, CPU 1 Usage,

usec %, usec %, Module

25192 0.07, 23162 0.07, nvlddmkm.sys

17650 0.05, 18341 0.05, wdmqua.sys

All my drivers are updated (same drivers on 7 works ok)...

My e2180 IS a CONROE.., aka C2D. And it's running at 3GHz, oc'd. No matter what this app say...

Maybe is the USB port/sys? I see a lot of calls.. Or TCPIP.sys..? :blink:

Thanks.

Edited by bertox

Well, uninstalled graphics and audio and DPCs go to 100us (do you want etl file?).. :whistle:

Installed again and all up to 1000us like before.. :wacko:

There is a problem with multimedia hardware and the rest of OS i see.., don't think faulty drivers but some VISTA problem..

Edited by bertox

Hello Magical Andre,

I've been chasing a dpc issue since last year and revisited the issue about a week ago with them. They want to offer me a replacement but I want to do my homework because I did find a 'workaround' originally. I want to permanently fix the issue because the laptop I have right now has great features. Also, there is nothing 'wrong' with it except for this dpc issue.

Just to give some history on the problem, the workaround I'm referring to is suspending the acpi.sys thread. If that thread is suspending using the process explorer or process hacker the dpc interruptions stop.

However, I want to find the root of the problem and I stumbled across this forum while searching on Google for information.

I read the explanation on the first page and the SDK link you provided is for Windows 7. Do you have a link for Windows XP?

Edited by djquartz

Thanks that worked, I was able to install it on my win7 test machine and copy the folder over to the problem laptop running XP. The viewer wouldn't run on XP, so I viewed the file using the win7 machine with your explanation. It appears the following are the highest.

- usbport.sys

- ntkrnlpa.exe

- atapi.sys

- sptd5789.sys

- acpi.sys

There is one in there for the dpc latency checker but I won't include that. The only reason I had this open during the trace is so I could run xperf when the spikes were high and capture the data.

Here is a link to my file,

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wt5cgg

Edited by djquartz