How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Fantastic!!!

My CPU was being dominated and one of my cores stayed maxed out ALL the time. Through your tutorial, I found Bonjour to be the culprit. I did not uninstall, but just deactivated at start-up. When I rebooted my Pavilion dv6000 laptop both cores were running consistently between 0-14% when idle - wonderful!! Prior to uninstalling Bonjour, I read another post explaining that Microsoft Security Essentials did not run well with other anti-virus programs. I began using Norton 360 and there may have been some conflicts there. I'm not sure which of these gave the biggest improvement, but I am thankful that you took the time to give these very handy step-by-step instructions.

Thanks again - Jim

Hi Andre, I followed your procedure to determine the cause of the high CPU usage. It seems that ataport.sys is the culprit, averaging 30.68% CPU usage over the interval I highlighted. USBPORT.sys accounts for 4.64% of the CPU usage. I am running an Asus P5E Deluxe motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. I downloaded the latest drivers from Asus for my P5E, but no luck. My hard drive is a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black. Some people found NCQ to cause the issue, but my NCQ is turned off and so is AHCI.

A screenshot of my Interrupt CPU Usage Summary Table is attached. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

post-293276-127465550467_thumb.png

Edited by htrieu

hi , i have followed ur steps and so far i got stuck at one point , when i enter the command xperf -on latency i get this -xperf:error:NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.<0xb7>. pls tell me if this is what i should see or if i did smth wrong . ty

Hi,

sorry, this is not the result you should get. I've never seen this message before.

Have you installed the x64 version of the WPT?

sry for the late respons , yes i installed the x64 version of WPT but anyway i unistalled the x64 version of win7 and installed win7 x86 version , and i have the same high (100%) cpu , ill try ur tutorial when i get back from work . hope i wont have any problems . ill post later today :)

Hi Andre, could you please take a look on pictures below? I have usually problem when i connect some USB device, but sometimes just on mouse move the system blows up, processors are on 100% and disk usage is also extremely high, need to restart my notebook :(

I have all drivers updated with Driver genius professional to the newest, but not helped. Also BIOS is updated to latest...

system:

Acer Aspire 8935G

:: Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2 GHz

:: Memory - 4096 MB, DDR3

:: Graphics adapter - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 - 1024 MB, Core: 675 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz, DDR3

:: Harddisk - TOSHIBA MK5055GSX, 320GB 5400rpm

WIN 7 PRO x86

http://img294.imageshack.us/i/23394017.jpg/

http://img693.imageshack.us/i/55481186.jpg/

thanks in advance

Tom

post-293712-127501863623_thumb.jpg

post-293712-127501885543_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotyp

Hi everyone,

I also have massive DPC latency issues (spikes >60.000us in DPC Latency Checker), but it doesn't come with high CPU usage at all! If I analyse the .etl file of Win Perf Analyser, the Interrupt and DPC CPU usage is just around 0,5% :blink: See the attached screens.

When I restart my PC the latency problem is away for 5 minutes or so and then gets worse by the minute. It slows down almost any application (Windows runs like I have a 1Ghz Celeron) and seriously distorts sound playback esp. in video files. System is almost unworkable.

Any idea what could be causing this? Hardware failure maybe? Or a driver problem?

I will upload the .etl file to SkyDrive asp.

System specs:

Asus P5Q, Intel Core2Duo Q6600, 3GB DDR2 1066Mhz, ATI Radeon 4870, Win 7 x64

post-293838-127515132233_thumb.gif

post-293838-127515133144_thumb.gif

Edited by davidov2009

davidov, I have sometimes the same problems as you. I just restarted my notebook 5 mins before because had the troubles as you described above :(

on mousemove the sound was distorted and the system was extremely slow. I am very unpleased with this notebook/windows

This notebook was distributed with Win Vista Home but I have reinstalled it on the 1st day, probably I will try install Vista and will see if the problems will continue

Hi neotyp,

your etl file hast 49000 lost events.

The sdbus.sys is causing the DPC issue. Are you using the latest drivers for your SD card reader (SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller)? What is the vendor of this device?

For the interrupts, the driver is again unknown.

@davidov2009

upload the file please.