How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

You don't have any DPC or interrupt issues! Both use less than 1% of CPU. You only have CPU usage spikes caused by Everest Ultimate.

ok then :) ! my mistake was to believe i needed to be in the 40 µs range under windows 7.

Thanks for your expertise and kindness André, you are a true blessing for all of us !

Okay...I'm back.When using the usb pci card that I bought to initially solve my problem, it seems I've ran into another. When I log off my system or restart it, I'll of my drivers disappear. So upon restart I have to let windows re-install them each time. Not sure what is causing that issue, so i went back to just using the usb ports on the motherboard and I'm getting the USBPORT.SYS issue again. Is there a way to resolve this, or do I just need to replace my mother board?

which card did you buy? Have you installed the latest drivers from the support page of the card?

It's a Ali USB 2.0 PCI card. Made by FS (generic brand lol). It came with the driver cd and I installed from there.

I found this as a possible solution, but don't know if the issue will reoccur:

I went to device manager and disabled all of the on board USB controllers and also the USB Root Hubs. After about 3 secs my CPU usage dropped to only 7-10%. Then I enabled them again and the CPU usage stayed at the 7-10%. So when inspecting which ".sys" files are controlling those devices, I saw USBhub.sys, USBohci.sys and USBport.sys all on the ATI I/O Communications Processors. Then on the USB Root Hubs I saw USBbd.sys and USBhub.sys. The question is, which file is most likely the culprit. Since I get the USBport.sys using most of my CPU, can I just replace that driver. And if so, where can I locate it. There are none on my motherboard manufacturers website and the one that is installed was installed by Windows 7 when I did a clean install.

I also read on another forum that if another device shares the same IRQ as the USB controller, that it could cause this issue as well. So I took a look at my Resources By Type in device manager and saw several devices sharing the IRQ of the USB controller. Also there were multiple instances of them...see screen shot attached below. Is there a way to change which IRQ these are on so they can run in sequential order to see if that will correct the problem?

As of right now I reinstalled the USB pci card. I just hope I don't have to turn of my computer for anything and go through the whole missing drivers issue again, or at least til I get this problem fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-292167-12739851394_thumb.jpg

Since I get the USBport.sys using most of my CPU, can I just replace that driver. And if so, where can I locate it. There are none on my motherboard manufacturers website and the one that is installed was installed by Windows 7 when I did a clean install.

I also read on another forum that if another device shares the same IRQ as the USB controller, that it could cause this issue as well. So I took a look at my Resources By Type in device manager and saw several devices sharing the IRQ of the USB controller. Also there were multiple instances of them...see screen shot attached below. Is there a way to change which IRQ these are on so they can run in sequential order to see if that will correct the problem?

The time usbport.sys is part of the chipset driver, at least on Intel chipset boards.

Sometimes a bios update can resolve USB issues, and others as well.

W7 irq discussion here, W7 is pretty good about flagging irq conflicts, they will show up in System Information. All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Hardware Resources.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/960a0b45-475c-44cd-b5ef-056ff6503e85

Looks like in W7, the only way to change an IRQ in device manager is if there is a conflict, otherwise the change button is greyed out. There probably is a registry hack, but would be risky to do so.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vista-tips/manage-irq-settings-windows-vista-7/

more on irqs

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/440166-windows-7-irqs.html

Edited by NewestGuy

Hi everyone,

I have spikes in CPU usage at fairly regular intervals when streaming video or playing a game full-screen.

I have done as MagicAndre has suggested and done a trace and found the USBport.sys is most likely the problem.

You mentioned updating chipset drivers, I think I did that but not sure if I did it correctly, I don't really understand the chipset thing.

Tried updating USB drivers, nVidia chipset? drivers and BIOS but still having problems.

Anyone able to help?

Let me know if there's any info you might need.

AMD athlon processors

ASUS M2N-VN DVI motherboard

nVidia chipset (nForce 560 and Southbridge nForce 630a) from CPU-Z

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Asus does not offer W7 32 or 64bit chipset drivers for that motherboard, they do offer them for Vista 64bit, and should work for W7, but they are dated 03/07/2008, they might work better than the default drivers W7 installed.

Choose Vista 64bit as the OS selection to download the chipset drivers.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=M2N-VM%20DVI&SLanguage=en-us

If found this on the Nvidia site, not sure it is the chipset driver though.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista64_15.23.html

Tried those (updating chipset drivers) and I think it helped, but still getting high USBport.sys in DPC and Interrupts CPU usage.

Still freezing up at regular intervals.

I did a search for my motherboards chipset drivers but couldn't find one. So I created a restore point and then uninstalled the USB 1.1 ans 2.0 OHCI Controllers and then rebooted. When the computer came back online, I let windows find the drivers for them, which included usbport.sys. So far so good...no latency or cpu usage issues. I'll report back in a day or two if the problem resurfaces.

Hi andre

I'm hoping that you could help me with my laptop issues. Firstly my CPU runs at aprx. 55% when nothing strainuous is being done, aslo when it is running at that % after a while my connection to my network becomes unidentified and the only way to get reconnected to the network is by restarting my laptop. I've tried disabling then re-enabling the ethernet controller in device manager but it doesn't help. I believe that the two problems are connected as I have never been disconnected from the network while the cpu % usage is normal.

I have gone through the steps that you gave us for identifying the cause of the high CPU usage and from the graph, ACPI.sys has the highest counts.

I don't know very much about computers and how to read the graph so could you please help me in this regard.

This is my 1st forum post too so I'm not too sure how to upload an image, do I click on insert image and drag the image into the box there?

Thanks for your time and will appreciate any help I can get.

I did a search for my motherboards chipset drivers but couldn't find one. So I created a restore point and then uninstalled the USB 1.1 and 2.0 OHCI Controllers and then rebooted. When the computer came back online, I let windows find the drivers for them, which included usbport.sys. So far so good...no latency or cpu usage issues. I'll report back in a day or two if the problem resurfaces.

Okay...it's been a day or two and it seems that by doing the above, it has resolved my issue. Two days with out interrupts. Not 100% positve that it will fix you guys problem, but it seems to have worked for me. Good luck.