How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

andre, i'm not really sure how to fix this as all of my drivers are updated and it doesn't seem to be something that's happening all the time :(

what would you suggest to fix it?

edit: sent you one more, and if i can fix this by purchasing a sound card, usb pci card or a network pci card, i will do that :)

Edited by iatnuolas

last trace shows NDIS.sys again as cause:

Total = 2769 for module ndis.sys

Elapsed Time, > 2048 usecs AND <= 4096 usecs, 2, or 0.07%

Total, 2769

Go to the device manager, open the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller options and make sure all Offloading options are enabled.

Do you have a different Ethernet card to test?

andre, i just checked the offloading options, the ARP Offload, Large Send IPv4/6 and NS Offload were all enabled, but the IPv4 Checksum was disabled, so i set it to Rx & Tx Enabled

i don't have another ethernet card unfortunately, but if it would fix the problem i can order one from newegg :D

it seems like the sound is stutter free now, and i'm uploading an xperf trace that i'll send you as soon as it finishes so we can know for sure

edit: just started dropping out again :(

Edited by iatnuolas

Dear MagicAndre1981 Thank U very Much for Your Guide Very insightful especially for people like me that know nothing about this sort of thing I have followed your guide as far as i could understand i managed to get the results and got the second latency mon program u mentioned i have had these problems for about 2 or 3 months now and have been researching how to fix it until i found your guide and narrowed the problems down to the drivers from your guide

my issues are mainly my computer getting really hot and every now and again just shutting off i am guessing from the heat when i first had the issues i formatted my laptop and then had the same issues then i found out about the system interrupts not sure if explaining the issues will help the other ones are the pops in the sound my wireless adapter disabling its self mainly while downloading then i have to restart just to get it working and while playing a game star-craft 2 is usually when it gets bad the game lags i turned the graphics down but still lags then eventually my computer shuts off again with the heat i have checked all my drivers no little yellow symbol i found in system devices 7 drivers with no drivers for the device i have tried to research all i can at this point i am just shooting in the dark and am in need of some sort of help or guide any help would be greatly appreciated thank u for your time

Every time you have the DPC issues, Punkbuster has some cpu usage. Try to update it. Does this fix it?

no luck :(

i have two updates though, when i built this computer my processor was doing this high pitched "whistle" sound when it was idling, so in the power options of windows 7, i changed the processor idle off (processor power management > processor idle disable > disable idle), and this gets rid of the noise (this was around two weeks ago or more), however, i noticed recently when i toggle this setting to off it immediately stops the stuttering of the music, even though it comes back about 10-20 seconds later :(

i also ordered a new pci network card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166004) so hopefully this will resolve the issue :)

@Anonymous101

upload the xperf trace file and I'll take a look at it.

thanks for the reply how do i do that like i said i have no clue how to do anything i can however follow directions well should i run another trace i am not evan sure if i did it right not sure if this is right but i found a file named kernel.etl let me re fraze that i tryed to upload it takes to long and dosent up load is that the xperf trace file?

Edited by Anonymous101

i also ordered a new pci network card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166004) so hopefully this will resolve the issue :)

this is also a cheap NIC and it is only 100MBit. If you need GBit you should use a card like this one:

41kP8hD-X7L.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

This card is better and can process the DPCs on the chip to reduce the CPU load.

i found a file named kernel.etl let me re fraze that i tryed to upload it takes to long and dosent up load is that the xperf trace file?

the kernel.etl is useless. Run this command:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -Buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d DPC_Interrupt.etl

capture 30s and press key to stop logging. Now Compress the DPC_Interrupt.etl as 7z or RAR (this reduces the size a lot!!). Now upload them RAR/7z file.

ok i found the DPC_Interrupt.etl i cant get it under 500k to upload i managed to get it from 16mb to 2 but still cant get it smaller i tried i appreciate your time i don't mean to be making something so simple difficult just bare with me I also am getting this message when i try to use winzip to try and compress it

Action: Add (and replace) files

Include subfolders: yes

Save full path: no

You are trying to create a new Zip file on a disk that is read-only: "C:\Windows\System32\DPC_Interrupt.zipx".

Irrecoverable Error: The archive file cannot be opened for output.

So i just right clicked and sent to compressed folder on desktop and it became a zip folder smaller than the original

Edited by Anonymous101

andre, i just popped in the new network card and installed the drivers, looks like we're off the realtek pci-e gbe drivers which is good i hope :D

i sent you the new report i took as soon as i started it up, i havent noticed any pops or stuttering unless i open a big program or something, also, i'm going to be getting my SSD sometime this week and i'll be reinstalling windows 7 onto that so hopefully that will clear up any issues if this didn't help :(

edit: opened up an application and it spiked, so i sent you a report from that too, z & z1

Edited by iatnuolas