How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

AMD 1090T, 8GB DDR3, SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 1TB it might seem faster but i instaled the loader at a friend with AMD x2 6400+,4GB DDR2 , SAMSUNG 500GB not spinpoint and he boots in 30-32 seconds but does not have all the crap i have in startup list ;)

After seeing how good this preloader is now i want to buy a hybrid hdd or ssd like ocz synapse cache to accelerate all my hdd not only the boot :)

Edited by draku

magicanndre I would be so grateful if you would look at my xml file. I can't figure out why my boot is so slow.

Hi, restoring the networkconnections take tool long:

post-70718-0-17682700-1321302780_thumb.p

This causes a 50s delay.

I use

net use /persistent:no 

in a CMD to mount network drives when I need them. This avoids such delays.

how do i get this view

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Magic Andre,

Sorry to bother you. I think my prefetch on windows 7 ultimate x64 is doing strange things. Basically I ran your optimisation a few months back and it worked well. My boot got a bit slower over time, so a few days ago I went into windows/prefetch and deleted only the .pf files to rebuild the prefetcher. I only did it this way to avoid the lengthy 2nd part of the optimisation due to a lack of time. Anyway all seemed fine, subsequent boots were a tad quicker. That was until the 6th or 7th boot after this. It was as if something happened & prefetch was no longer working/ or corrupt. No error messages but my boot suddenly increased by over a minute. 7 or 8 boots later and still it was slow. So I ran your optimisation and it all seemed to be ok again.

However, yesterday there were some windows updates which I installed and as a result the boot immediately slowed rapidly again despite constant reboots (about 8 in a row I tried). So I deleted the pf files again from prefetch folder. Instantly the boot sped right up until, yep you guessed it, the 6th or 7th boot when it slowed right down again. Very odd??? So late last night I ran your optimisation again. At first it errored as it had to wait too long for the prefetcher. I deleted the pf files again and after doing this your optimization ran through just fine. And since then (some 8 boots after running it) my boot has been okay again (about 100ms according to event viewer which is about normal/peak for my laptop).

Has my deleting the .pf files caused my problems? I only deleted these and not other files in that folder. Also I wasn't emptying them from the recycle bin (until the last optimisation) so I wonder if this caused part of my problems. So at this moment in time my boot is fine but i worry as soon as I install another windows update or any other type of program the problems will come back? I am worried my deleting of the pf files in the prefetch folder has caused all my issues? Should I have deleted the whole folder including the readyboot sub folder when i did it? I kind of wish I'd never touched it now! I was under the impression deleting the files would cause Windows to rebuild it.

Many thanks,

Wayne

Edited by Scottyboy99

Thank you. Ok will do. Do you think I have messed the prefetch up by deleting the pf files? Not that I will do this again but should I of just deleted all the files on the folder and not the pf ones because old data still existed and conflicted? I find it strange that the prefetch seems to work until about the 6th or 7th boot and then something goes wrong. Hopefully the latest optimisation did the trick as its been 8 boots since and currently seems ok.

MagicAndre1981, urgent question: after having completed the entire process, can I uninstall the Performance Toolkit and SDK? Will it keep all the optimizations?

I'm guessing it's safe to uninstall, since it just optimizes existing services. But I just want to make sure. It's for a customer and I usually just like to remove all the maintenance software after I'm done with it, to prevent them from ruining their own computer.

Anyway, I really can't thank you enough for this tutorial!! You gave me an automated (= quick & low-cost) method of seriously improving boot performance. Especially on Vista machines. Awesome! :thumbup

Ok, cool. Thanks! It's not so much the space it takes up. I just want to prevent customers from running software they don't understand. A lot of people I encounter just press buttons without thinking.

Bit of a background story:

For instance, I install ccleaner on customer's pc's. I schedule it to run once a week silently and I remove it from the start menu. This way they won't start tinkering with the settings themselves, without knowing what they're doing. Like, one day they'll check the Cookies box and then..."ZOMG, I'm not logged into teh Fazebookz anymore and can't remember my password! It's all Miletos' fault for installing that evil ccleaner software!" -_-

Maybe I'll just remove the shortcuts for the Performance Kit from the start menu, but I'd rather just uninstall it to prevent them from ever finding it.

Edited by Miletos

Magic Andre

I will try and run a boot trace soon on my machine. Although can I ask about the layout.ini file in the prefetch folder? I did the optimization a couple of times last week. After the last optimization the layout.ini file was updated 17/12/2011 but it hasn't updated itself since. I was under the impression it updates itself every 3 days but I quickly turned the laptop on this morning and it still shows date of 17/12/2011 as last modified. Do you think something is broken here? Does the laptop need a certain amount of idle time for it to update itself?

Many thanks,

Wayne

Edited by Scottyboy99

MagicAndre1981,

Thank you for this, now my pc boots just 19 seconds :w00t: , which is extremely good for a HDD. :thumbup

This is screenshot comparing boot times before and after,

BootCompare.png

In case the above link doesn't work, I have attached a Image file with this post.

My PC Configuration :

Windows 7 Ultimate x86

ASUS P5KPL-CM

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz

2.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB

Western Digital HDD 250 GB (System)

Hitachi HDD 160 GB

:D

Edit : I don't know why the After Summary has 27 seconds, Infact my PC boots in 19-20 seconds only. :angel

post-341699-0-00505400-1324464865_thumb.

Edited by 4Dialga2

@Scottyboy99

I don't know why the file is not updated. Mine was updated yesterday. But I didn't modify anything in the folder while you did this.

@4Dialga2

your Windows boots in 17.3s. Substract 10s (idle detection time) from the value BootDoneViaPostBoot or add the value of postBootDisturbance to bootDoneViaExplorer to see the boot time.

Edited by MagicAndre1981