How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

Not really sure why avg shows up, as I dont have it set to start at boot, soluto appears to use alot so maybe I should remove that from the startup.

Im not really sure how much is normal usage for the system processes, maybe you can determine anomalies from the screenshot... the top 28 of 45 are included

detailedsummary.png

Edited by volting

Ok Iv removed both Soluto and AVG, what do recommend instead of AVG ?

HDD is a 250GB 5400RPM Western Digital -- WDC WD2500BEVT-22A23T0

The laptop is fairly new so Id imagine its in sata mode, although Im not sure that I can verify this, I checked in the Bios, the mode is't explicitly stated there, although the drive is refered to as IDE0, but I think (hope) this is just poor choice of wording...

In the Device Manager under IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers there is only one entry,

an Intel SATA ACHI Controller, which Im guessing proves my assumuption to be correct.

As for the disk io, I expanded the system entry, the bigest offender is "Unknown" and doesnt show any more detail when expanded.

systemio.png

I tried running the trace again but the problem persists.

I check the disk utilization graph, most of the io utilization is system which the majority is unknown(0) so no problem there,

next is svchost of which the vast majority is from readyboot

detailed.png

Your Windows takes 25s to boot to the desktop and 45 to boot completely.

your 5400rpm WD HDD is the bottleneck. The prefetcher does its best to improve it. What I can see is that apache takes 13s to start. Set the start-type (also for MySQL) to "on demand" and start the 2 services after you booted completely to the desktop with (NET START Apache2.2, NET START mysql. looks like you use XAMPP, correct?). Also the Intel Management service (IAStorDataMgrSvc) takes 5s to start. This happens during the time where your HDD is completely busy.

André

Indeed I have xampp, I changed both mysql and apache to manual start, and ran the trace again for 6 runs.

I timed the boot to the desktop with a stopwatch on my phone, takes 35 seconds to desktop, which is excellent considering it took about 3.5 mins before I started optimizing...

I had a feeling since I bought this laptop a few months ago that hdd was a bottleneck and had been contemplating upgrading, think Ill get one of seagates hybrids

Thanks for all your time and help, your skill is legendary!

• 1 month later...

Hello Andrei. Thank you for this excellent tutorial. Haha. you're so great.

here is the improvement on my PC.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0u8axdmzeyh63f3

http://www.mediafire.com/?v9cwk0hs2dfbj7p

i guess that it is still slow. can you show what are the problems that may cause slowing down the boot of my PC.

I use windows 7 ultimate x64

a reply would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Hi Richard,

It improved the boot a lot!

before the optimization your Windows booted in 117s to the desktop and now in 25s!!!

Open the bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl and look at the ReadyBoot graph. All was black. Totally broken!

post-70718-0-00289100-1319030095_thumb.p

The optimization improved it a lot.

After the optimization the start of some services is still slow:

In your case Avast! AV which takes 33s to start.

avast! Antivirus" group="ShellSvcGroup" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="33906"

and the this Autodesk service:

="Autodesk Content Service" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="15232"

post-70718-0-56887500-1319030425_thumb.p

So try a different AV tool and look if you need the Autodesk service.

can I ask again? you said that we must not use any defragmentation program except for the MS tool because they places file at a different offset on HDD.

What can you say about the option in Auslogics Disk Defrag which is "Defrag" only?

from what I understand, it only defrags all the files but all those will stay where it is.

I'm thinking of using it with the MS tool.

I'll only use MS tool if i will optimize my HDD. but when it comes to defragging, i'll use Auslogics'.

do you think it's okay?

I just like the Auslogics disk defrag because of its fast defragmentation (using only Defrag option) compared to other defragmentation programs.

but if it will not do, i'll only use the MS tool.

Thanks for all your help. :DD