How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

BTW, I run as Administrator, and on the second boot when I pressed FINISH it did tell me to let the app run elevated when requested. Could that have been part of the problem? Should I run as the HIDDEN ADMINISTRATOR and do this?

Irv S.

I couldn't find any personal info in there so I haven't passworded it. If you see anything personal, let me know and I'll take it down once you got it.

Thanks in advance :D

Alexander

sorry, I overlooked your reply.

I can see that your HDD is completely busy. COMODO slows down your PC dramatically. Remove COMODO and run the optimization again.

I'm also using the 2nd admin account which is created during setup ad it works fine. Do you use a firewall/AV software?

Yes, I have Computer Associates ISS 2010.

Wouldn't that have interfered with the first running if it were a problem?

Think it pays to disable it completely?

Irv S.

Hmm I tried uninstalling comodo and running the optimisations again, but it still took 10+ mins. and TBH I hated MSE so I got rid of that asap and reïnstalled comodo.

Is there any alternative to MSE that doesn't hog your PC? I've had Norton but I found it a bigger bload than Comodo and it costs money too.

I'm willing to try uninstalling comodo again and running the optimisations so you can take a look at that log. I haven't really had problems with comodo before as I have had that as long as I had this PC. Long before the slow down occured.

Thanks,

Kingdutch

Edited by Kingdutch

I'll try the free Avast version since both companies seem to be good at listing what their free versions _can't_ do rather than what they _can_ do.

It's nearing 11 PM here though so the reboots will have to wait for tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far, I'll report back soon.

Good Night,

Kingdutch

Yes, I have Computer Associates ISS 2010.

Wouldn't that have interfered with the first running if it were a problem?

this maybe the cause.

@Kingdutch

try Avira AntiVir or Avast!

Thanks, but I'd rather not switch security suites at this time. I can disable them from starting if necessary, but otherwise, unless I have to, I'll not switch or disable them.

Irv S.

try it out. If it wasn't the cause you can install it again.

I'd like too, but it isn't that easy. Uninstall takes ALL the settings out. I loose all the white list stuff, the network settings, and it bothers me again for all the stuff it had learned with respect to programs.

I may just disable it from starting, that would be the same I'd think?

What bothers me is that I know before the first boot, it was run as an Administrator. After the first boot, it wasn't? I know because when I pressed FINISH it told me in a dialog box to make sure I allow it to run as Administrator. Was it supposed to do this? Would I need to set the properties to always run that way?

Irv S.

I have installed my new harddrive and reinstalled windows 7, this got rid of the boot problem (10 min. +) so I'm not really sure what the cause was but comodo hasn't really slowed it down too much imo. I'm posting the boot traces from the start of the optimization and the end of the optimization.

I don't have any traces from before installing CIS, sorry.

Greetings,

Kingdutch

PS. couldn't attach the original .etl's to the forum post =/ sorry.

01_summary_start.xml

02_summary_end.xml

Hi Andre, I have a few questions, if you can kindly answer...

I noticed that when we execute the xbootmgr several files are created within \windows\prefetcher\ and \windows\prefetcher\readyboot.

Do you know what these files means? If I copy them to another pc with the exactly same specs, it will decrease boot time? Or do I have to run xbootmgr again mandatorily?

Thanks