How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

Your Windows boots in 36s to the desktop and is fully booted in 65s:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="36634" bootDoneViaPostBoot="75334"

What I can see is that 2 services start slowly:

<serviceTransition name="MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="8525"
<serviceTransition name="WSearch" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="8668"

if you don't need MS SQL Server Express all the time, start the service on demand.

The largest delay is caused by starting all apps at logon. Do you really need all those Logitech tools at startup?

I don't, they must have popped in with Visual Studio, or something else.

How many Logitech tools do I have at startup? I thought I only had one (setpoint). I thought I disabled like my webcam, and what not. I'll disable the entry in MSCONFIG for Logitech anyways.

What other applications are starting up? I try to keep stuff clean in MSCONFIG and services. I'm new to working in the services section so I'm sure there must be stuff I'm missing. But in MSCONFIG I only have:

MSE

Realtek HD Audio Manger

HD Audio Background Process

Microsoft Windows Operating System

JMB36X IDE Setup

USB 3.0 Monitor

Dropbox

I feel like one of those audio items can be disabled, but I'm not sure which one. The Windows OS one is for gadgets, JMB I'm pretty sure is for my external esata drive, and I think I need the USB3 for my USB3 ports to work. Dropbox I guess could be disabled, and I could just start it up manually, but I like the convenience of it starting on its own. Since I use it a lot.

But, I'll disable some of the above, and see what happens. Are there any other stuff starting up that I did not mention above?

Thanks for the boot trace decrypt :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14475416/boottrace2.rar

There is a more updated boot trace. After turning some stuff off, and some more.

Edited by microboom

boot is now much, much better:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="25069" bootDoneViaPostBoot="40769" osLoaderDuration="2073" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="5700"

so booting to the desktop takes 25s and running all tools at startup only impacts Windows by 5.7s and Windows is fully booted in 30.7s :)

I think this should be ok.

Hi, i have with success done the trick for speeding up my system boot, but now i have a small question... is the xbootmgr.exe the cause i now have apparently new files in the Windows/Prefetch/Readyboot folder?

Those files have extension *.avail, *.dqpafm, *..dqpafmsg, *.dqpa, *.dqpaf and seems to be refreshed after every bootup. Are they necessary for the OS, or only a logging purpose? They also make extra hard disk activity immediately after the system seems to be operational.

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for my bad english... :unsure:

those files belongs to ReadyBoot, the advanced prefetcher which makes Windows booting faster.

Last week i have formatted and installed in a brand new laptop Windows 7 Home X86 Service Pack 1 (with all Windows Updates), and i see in this folder only five Trace*.fx files, with one Readyboot.etl file. I have also rebooted it so many times, but the new files that i have in my pc don't appear in the laptop. Sounds strange :huh:

Edited by ElGringo

• 2 weeks later...

MagicAndre1981,I tried the boot optimization process you suggest in this guide.But it seems that I get those two error popups after only one reboot , I get the following messages: first one is ” Waiting for prefetcher...” which stays on screen around 3 minutes or so and after that comes this one:” Microsoft Windows Performance Analyser : Gave up waiting for virtual prefetcher after 300 seconds.Could not wait for prefetcher.Couldnt find kernel logger in active logger list.Couldnt find user-mode logger in active logger list” and no more boot from now on (it should be 5 more times , or not ?),please help me with this problem when you have the time!

how may i know if d version installed is 32bit or 64bit?.. it has d same pop up message when i tried to click xbootmgr.exe in its folder...

Just right-click on Computer icon --> Properties, and in the new window it will show you your os version :yes: , also the installer is named "wpt_x86.msi" for the 32 bit version and "wpt_x64.msi" for the 64 bit version.

Edited by ElGringo