How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

I used the latest release driver 12.6 which seems to have a later date than the beta. How long should the driver take to load?

That disk utilization graph is useful - a pity it doesn't appear as default!

I am ahead of you with the AV. I tried reinstalling Avast as suggested elsewhere and while it was an improvement there was still a delay in the desktop appearing - so out with Avast and in with Avira. So far, it is not giving me the same irritation!

Thanks Andre.

Edited by f1charlie

How long should the driver take to load?

I ave no idea value. But your time is too long. Have you used the normal 12.6 driver? The normal version should no longer support DirectX9/10 hardware. Maybe this causes the issues.

That disk utilization graph is useful - a pity it doesn't appear as default!

the new Win8 version is more worse. It shows completely empty and you have to drag & drop the graphs you need. But new users simply don't what they need, but MS doesn't understand this :(

so out with Avast and in with Avira. So far, it is not giving me the same irritation!

nice to hear this. How long does Windows now boot? Generate the XML with the command in the "Trace tutorial" and look at the values.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="40516" bootDoneViaPostBoot="120316" osLoaderDuration="1926" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="69800"

So booting to desktop has improved, but Windows is fully booted in 120s, which is worse :( , but at least I can actually use the computer while it is still booting!

can you make a new boot trace? This time, also open the CAB file in the same folder, extract the file ReadyBoot.etl.old and run

xperf -merge YOURTracefile.ETL ReadyBoot.etl.old FINALTARCEWITHReadyBoot.etl

xbootmgr only includes the Readyboot events by dfault in Windows 7 or later.

Have you checked the Disk graph? Is there still a process which causes high disk usgae?

I have uploaded the new merged trace to the same Skydrive location.

avguard.exe and svchost.exe seem to be the main processes causing disk usage.

There are black areas on the Readyboot I/O graph which I believe is not good?

yes, black is not good.

But the "Apowersoft_AudioDevice" still starts slowly. Can you update this driver?

And what I can see is that WindwosDender service task 33s to stop:

<serviceTransition name="WinDefend" group="COM Infrastructure" transition="stop" totalTransitionTimeDelta="33426"

And the services "File sharing" and LanmanWorkstation which provies funtions to map network drives also start slowly:

<serviceTransition name="LanmanWorkstation" group="NetworkProvider" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="6188"/>
<serviceTransition name="LanmanServer" group="NetworkProvider" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="15160"

Also VistaFirewallService starts slowly. Why don't you use the Windows Firewall?

Also why do you run tools like \SUPERAntiSpyware if you already use a AntiVirus tool?

Andre (The Great) :).

I've been experiencing really long start delays for the last couple of days and hope you can help.

I've pm'ed you the link to the xml export. Unfortunately not able to include a drivers report as this was causing me a boot BSOD loop.

My main boot drive is a Crucial SSD that benchmarks at around 390 megabytes per second read vta SATA 6 gig.

I'm running Windows 7 64 Home Premium which used to boot up in around 30 seconds.

Anyway, hope you are able to help.

Many thanks for your help via this forum.

Regards.

Simon.

Just thought I'd reply to say I've resolved the issue.

It was actually a mapped drive connection to a NAS drive that had locked up and required rebooting.

Once the NAS drive was reset, Windows starts up without delay now.

Many thanks for your time though, and although I found this issue without actually trying to decipher the ETL log, I'm still curious if anything in there would of helped track that issue down.

Andre thank you again for replying. I'm sorry for the delay, but I have been away.

yes, black is not good.

Should I run the Readyboot trainer again?

But the "Apowersoft_AudioDevice" still starts slowly. Can you update this driver?

This was from giveawayoftheday, so there is no support.

And what I can see is that WindwosDender service task 33s to stop:

<serviceTransition name="WinDefend" group="COM Infrastructure" transition="stop" totalTransitionTimeDelta="33426"

Any idea what would cause that?

And the services "File sharing" and LanmanWorkstation which provies funtions to map network drives also start slowly:

<serviceTransition name="LanmanWorkstation" group="NetworkProvider" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="6188"/>
<serviceTransition name="LanmanServer" group="NetworkProvider" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="15160"

Can these be speeded up? I don't use any network drives, so could these be disabled?

Also VistaFirewallService starts slowly. Why don't you use the Windows Firewall?

This is just a front end to Vista firewall which allows more control over outgoing processes.

Also why do you run tools like \SUPERAntiSpyware if you already use a AntiVirus tool?

I installed this to provide on demand scans, just in case something got through the anti-virus. However I have just tried to update the definitions and it would not work, so it is now uninstalled!

Just thought I'd reply to say I've resolved the issue.

It was actually a mapped drive connection to a NAS drive that had locked up and required rebooting.

Once the NAS drive was reset, Windows starts up without delay now.

I can see this, too:

post-70718-0-46702800-1345055497_thumb.p

It takes 160s to reconnect the network drive.

Should I run the Readyboot trainer again?

you can try it.

Any idea what would cause that?

not really.Open regedit.exe, go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender" and set the value DisableAntiSpyware to 1.

Can these be speeded up? I don't use any network drives, so could these be disabled?

you can disable both if you don't need them.

This is just a front end to Vista firewall which allows more control over outgoing processes.

Windows includes the advanced config UI. Look at the admin options in control panel.

Andre.

You are a star, and many thanks for pointing the location of the drive in the log.

I've been having a good look at the ETL file, along with posts and replies in this useful thread. It is making sense now thanks to your informative posts.

Cheers.

Simon.

I gave this a try on Sunday, and got positive results. Went from 2:30 boot times to about 1min, but unfortunately it seems to be back to those over 2 min boots. I've been trying for a while to lower my boot times, and this seems to give the best results. In the past I have tried disconnecting all my USB (excluding my wifi adapter and keyboard adapter), and my second HDD, and my esata external drive. Which didn't do anything to decrease the times.

Here is my boot trace:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14475416/boottrace.rar

Hopefully, someone can pinpoint the culprit, and I can get these boot times to an appropriate level.

Thanks.

Your Windows boots in 36s to the desktop and is fully booted in 65s:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="36634" bootDoneViaPostBoot="75334"

What I can see is that 2 services start slowly:

<serviceTransition name="MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="8525"
<serviceTransition name="WSearch" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="8668"

if you don't need MS SQL Server Express all the time, start the service on demand.

The largest delay is caused by starting all apps at logon. Do you really need all those Logitech tools at startup?