Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

the trace still doesn't show any delays:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="30360" bootDoneViaPostBoot="68360" osLoaderDuration="2363" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="28000"

so booting to the desktop takes 30s and your Windows is fully booted in 58s. The osLoader takes 2.3s to load and not 1minute. So I can see where you have the delay. The only thing which is a larger delay is that AntiVir service takes 14s to start.

the trace still doesn't show any delays:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="30360" bootDoneViaPostBoot="68360" osLoaderDuration="2363" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="28000"

so booting to the desktop takes 30s and your Windows is fully booted in 58s. The osLoader takes 2.3s to load and not 1minute. So I can see where you have the delay. The only thing which is a larger delay is that AntiVir service takes 14s to start.

OK, thanks for checking it anyway. Obviously whatever's causing the delay isn't caught by the trace.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi magicandre1981,

Im wondering if your still willing to have a look at start-up times etc. I have gone through your tutorial and the HDD optimisation you linked to and have made it a little faster but it is still very long time. I have narrowed the longest time down to the WinlogonInit and PostExplorerPeriod sections of the log generated but in the services are im unable to find much after the initial changes i made.

Before doing your tutorial i also went through my usual speed up routine which i have attached which hopefully didn't cause this problem but basically it uninstalls unneeded/unused software, checks for virus/trojan/etc and removes old drivers.

I have attached the before and after XML summaries but the etl's before is 480KB and after is 603KB.

What is it that you would need if you were going to look?

Best regards,

JohnC.

summary_boot_before.xml

summary_boot_after.xml

speedUpRoutine.txt

Hi and thanks for the response.

I have added to dropbox with the following links:

1. Pre-Fix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmm4l6qluen07bo/pre-boot-etl.7z

2. Post-Fix: <- Most current

https://www.dropbox.com/s/240phjpkm9rlg02/post-boot-etl.7z

Please let me know if those links dont work as i have never used Dropbox share function...

Regards

Now your Windows boots in 66s to the desktop. It doesn't show the time when all startup apps are loaded:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="66092" bootDoneViaPostBoot="-1"

What I can see is that your HDD is busy all the time.

Disk_usage.png

When I checked what causes the issue I can see that Defender/MSE causes a lot of disk activity. I always had this issue with MSE, so I don't use it any longer.

I can also see that the DNS client service causes some high cpu usage. Add -stackwalk profile after -trace flags to the command and give me the new file.

Do you know why it shows -1? I thought the number might be to high but that didn't make sense :P What does the -stackwalk profile command do and what would you recommend instead of MSE in that case if you don't mind me asking.

Also I'll post it up within the hour. Have to get access to laptop.

Edited by jeked

-stackwalk profile captures the callstack. this is helpful to see which function of the DNS service causes the CPU usage.

The -1 is shown when Windows was still busy with running all startup applications when the trace was finished.

Try AVG or AntiVir as alternative.

Hi,

I just realised that i didnt send the post to you, so sorry to make you wait:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3xlw4q4bor9ly0/fix2-boot-etl.7z

That is the latest etl file. I installed Avast for its low boot impact compared to a couple other before i got you second message about Avir and AVG. Ill check them as well after we sought out some more issues...

Any help you can give is awesome.

Regards