Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Why the required data weren't found in the ReadyBoot cache? Should the data be stored in a specific order, I mean first HDD bits should be drivers, processes so ReadyBoot could rapidly load it into RAM? That's why we need defragmentation?

After I trained the prefetcher based on your guide my total boot time reduced from 178s to 87s. I must say it's very impressive, why I never heard about such methods before.

I will upgrade nod32, change to AHCI mode and post my results but basically I'm happy now with my 87s.

the misses mean, that the required data were not found in the ReadyBoot cache and must be loaded from the HDD which slows down the boot process.

Run this FixIt first:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

and next change the type in the BIOS to AHCI.

Now run the optimization and tell me the results.

with 'not found in the cache' I mean that the Prefetcher preloaded the wrong data in the cache/RAM, so the data must be read from the disk at the time they are needed. The idea of the prefetcher is to load the data at a time where the CPU starts devices, drivers and can't continue to boot. Instead of 'sitting there and doing nothing' a lot of data are read to the ReadyBoot cache which are needed later to start services or applications. The better the prefetcher works, the faster the boot is. You can see this in the 90s improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

Andre,

i need help. tried load of things i found on internet but so far with no success

startup problems, system usualy freez during startup aswell.

created new user account and it is a bit better but stil got problems.

i did scan and got etl file. i had to split the file with total commander to upload it on live id.

will you please have look at it?

file is not protected, but to grant you a permision i may need live id name or email address to do so, unless you have got other sugestions.

thanks in advance.

hiberread="176952000"

so reading from the hiberfile.sys takes 176seconds.

Run powercfg to disable the hibernation file, defrag drive C and enable the hibernation file again.

Does this help?

HD is a SSD, still need to defrag?

I had already tried to disable hibernate, reboot, re-enable hibernate, reboot, and hibernate was still taking awhile to resume.

Hi MagicAndre,

Thanks for taking the time to create this awesome tutorial! Im optimising the boot time on a Thinkpad with ehanced experience (rapid boot) 2.0, which should already be booting just under 40 seconds. I am not sure what is wrong with my particular laptop but it used to be booting in around 1 minute - 1 minute 20 (went up and down). After optimising i noticed the welcome screen loads up much faster after the windows 7 logo page and it reduced the time down around 56-59 seconds. Considering my laptop should be doing around 38 seconds out of the box, i know there must be something wrong.

Could you please look into my trace?

I uploaded it below. Thanks in advance!

http://www.mediafire.com/?6clf07rpeeyo383

the trace says that Windows takes 31.7s to boot to the desktop and 45s to boot completely.

Starting all services takes 12s and you needed 7s to input the password for your account.

Next, your Norton Internet Security seems to slow down the boot a bit. Do you also need all of the Lenovo tools (hotkey, zoom, access connection, thinkpad utilities)? remove some unneeded with AutoRuns and next run the optimization I linked in the first post.