Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

the shutdown takes 11s (stopping the services takes 3.5s and stoping all programs takes 2.2s)

<timing shutdownTime="11418" servicesShutdownDuration="3448">

I need the ETl for the hibernation, but the time to write the file is still too long. I have no idea why you see this with the DVD burner and the Intel driver. Ask this the Intel Support

http://www.mediafire.com/?z6p4zplels1lkf8

I can see that the svchost.exe writes the following file:

C:\System Volume Information\{6510fb93-6ee6-11e0-a0ce-f0def1002c95}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}

for a long time:

Service Time (us)

but the size is very low. this is confusing, why does writing takes so long.

I have no idea why this is so.

Hi Andre,

My system load is pretty fast, ~25s to the logon prompt, but another 40s to reach the desktop. Does this summary boot log give you any more specifics other than it being winlogon/profile causing a long delay? If not, what other information can I provide to isolate the issue? Thanks!!!

Jim

summary_boot.xml

Your Windows takes 82s to boot to the desktop and 90s to boot completely.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="82206" bootDoneViaPostBoot="101706"

- <notification type="Logon" sessionId="1" startTime="40144" endTime="79843" duration="39698">
<subscriber name="Profiles" startTime="40144" endTime="79826" duration="39681" />

the largest delay occurs while loading the profile. I need the ETL file to see more. Is the PC part of a domain?

Your Windows takes 82s to boot to the desktop and 90s to boot completely.

the largest delay occurs while loading the profile. I need the ETL file to see more. Is the PC part of a domain?

It is a domain member. The ETL file compressed with Zip/RAR/7Zip is 81MB/63MB/45MB. Where can I upload the 7zip archive?

why have you disabled Superfetch? This slows down the boot extremely.

I can't see anything why the profile load takes so long. Do you use the Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN or the Intel® 82567LF Gigabit Network Connection? if you use the WiFi, make sure the connection is fine.

Superfetch: It could have been in some guide which I absentmindedly trusted :( I've looked in my registry and both Enable Prefetch & Enable Superfetch have a value of 3. The Superfetch service is set to manual. It depends upon DCOM Server Process Launcher (which is Automatic/Started), RPC Endpoint Mapper (Automatic/Started), and File Information FS MiniFilter aka FltMgr, which is not shown in my list of services.

NIC's: I use the Wifi at home but usually not in the office. I try to always have it disabled by a physical switch when I'm using the gigabit connection. The slow login seems to occur regardless of whether I'm connected to any network. Is there a method to further trace the winlogon process?

Edited by Jimm69

set the starttype of Superfetch to automatic

you must enable bootlogging in Process Monitor and run the xbootmgr trace again. After the reboot stop the ProcMon trace, open the ETL and find the time where the profile is loaded. Go into ProcMon and exclude all events before/after the profile loading occurs and look what happens there. So you may find out what is slow in loading the profiles.

set the starttype of Superfetch to automatic

you must enable bootlogging in Process Monitor and run the xbootmgr trace again. After the reboot stop the ProcMon trace, open the ETL and find the time where the profile is loaded. Go into ProcMon and exclude all events before/after the profile loading occurs and look what happens there. So you may find out what is slow in loading the profiles.

I set Superfetch to automatic and restarted, then downloaded and ran Sysinternal's Process Monitor, enabled boot logging, and set the timing to 100ms. I re-ran the boot trace and let the capture timer run the full amount of time. It then gave me a warning about who to let see the file, then it said waiting for prefetcher, and then it later said something along the lines it gave up waiting for the prefetcher after 300s. I re-ran ProcMon and it asked me if I wanted to save the data, and it created 5 files.

In the ETL, the Subscriber "Profiles" says subs. started at 28.038, but that's elapsed time. The ProcMon logs show the system time... how do I sync the system time with the elapsed time?

New archive is here, 130MB: http://www.mediafire.com/?ibbed2calfk7gi3

Edited by Jimm69

Hi, I've been having this issue for a year now. I did the steps you suggested but I'm unsure of how to read my logs. Can you help me with this?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nvcuknji8cajany/boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nxtumlntf61xm44/summary_boot.xml

Those are my etl and summary files. I've checked the summary log but I'm not sure how to figure out which is slowing my boot up.

The ProcMon logs show the system time... how do I sync the system time with the elapsed time?

activate the column "Relative Time". I looked at the interval and found nothing useful. You shoukd reduce the amount of loaded tools and try other AV tool, your symantec is also slow.

Hi, I've been having this issue for a year now. I did the steps you suggested but I'm unsure of how to read my logs. Can you help me with this?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nvcuknji8cajany/boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nxtumlntf61xm44/summary_boot.xml

Those are my etl and summary files. I've checked the summary log but I'm not sure how to figure out which is slowing my boot up.

the Session Init Phase takes too long:

<interval name="SMSSInit" startTime="4221" endTime="76356" duration="72135">

I can see that the autchck.exe is running and next there is a huge delay. So you may have an issue with your WDC WD32 00BEVT-22ZCT. Scan the HDD with diagnostic tools.