Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi, I'm running windows 7 with an ssd, it only takes around 30 seconds to boot, but shutdown is the problem...

It says windows is shutting down the spinning circle freezes, nothing for another 15 seconds, then the screen goes black and with no signal warning from my monitor, and even after that it takes another 2mins for the pc to finally turn off...

Please can someone take a look at whats happening

http://hotfile.com/dl/77863146/5c11cee/trace.rar.html

Hi, 3 services are hanging during shutdown:

RP_FWS (Fws.exe), RadialpointIDSAgent (AVGIDSAgent.exe) and the Windows Search.

Do you need them? If not disable them. If the shutdown faster?

Also 1 taskhost.exe is taking too long to stop. Which scheduled tasks do you run?

Hi, 3 services are hanging during shutdown:

RP_FWS (Fws.exe), RadialpointIDSAgent (AVGIDSAgent.exe) and the Windows Search.

Do you need them? If not disable them. If the shutdown faster?

Also 1 taskhost.exe is taking too long to stop. Which scheduled tasks do you run?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I've been trying to find the culprit for a while with the slow shutdown issue

I the fws.exe is part of my internet providers firewall, I disabled that, also the

avgidsagent.exe seems to be part of the avg security, that program has already been

removed for a while, and I stopped it from running in msconfig through the services

tab along with windows search, however the I was running bitdefender and removed it

because some people were saying thats probably the issue, it was not. As for

scheduled tasks I don't think I have anything scheduled? is there a way to check?

is the shutdown now faster after disabling the services?

I can't really tell, but I think now the services /start up items are not the problem, I can go into safe mode, then choose shutdown, and the pc completely shuts off in 5 seconds. I've tried disabling everything through msconfig for startup / services and it made very little difference maybe 5 seconds at most. I finally tried something different, I disabled my video card in windows 7 device manager, and with that done my pc will shutdown in 15 seconds! I've tried different drivers, using driver sweeper, to remove all traces of my GTX 470's drivers, and reinstalling the drivers again, and even drivers from maybe 4 months ago... same issue, very very slow shutdown...

Maybe an incompatibility of some kind? or hardware resource conflict? I can't see 2 or 3 versions of drivers having the same issue... other then my shutdown issue my video card is rock solid, playing any of the recent games... So, I'm at a loss other then to say its video related...

If this helps, my video card is a Galaxy GTX 470, MB is an Asus p7p55d-e pro, OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 60GB, 4 Gb G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600

give me a new trace with the 2 services disabled.

I did the shutdown trace again, this time using selective startup in msconfig,

the only services running now is the group policy client, rpc endpoint mapper,

task scheduler, and nothing is checked in the startup options.... and I still

have the same issue... well over a 2min shutdown after the screen goes black

saying no video signal.

http://hotfile.com/dl/78060104/9491f73/trace.rar.html

Hi Francis,

your Windows takes 210s to boot to the desktop and 299s to boot completely. This is way too much.

interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="12766" duration="12766">

The PreSMSS subphase begins when the kernel is invoked. During this subphase, the kernel initializes data structures and components. It also starts the PnP manager, which initializes the BOOT_START drivers that were loaded during the OSLoader phase.

When the PnP manager detects a device, it loads and initializes the device’s drivers.

This takes for you ~13s. The driver sptd (part of Demon tools, alcohol) takes 4 s to start. Update the driver, please:

http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads/

<pnpObject name="\Driver\sptd" type="Driver" activity="Init" startTime="74" endTime="4117" duration="4043"

<interval name="SMSSInit" startTime="12766" endTime="151750" duration="138984">

The SMSSInit subphase begins when the kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe). During this subphase, the system initializes the registry, loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START, and starts the subsystem processes. SMSSInit ends when control is passed to Winlogon.exe.

This takes most time (over minutes). I've checked it and found this:

smss:BootExecuteList starts at 17s and runs till 128s. I looked in the processlist which tool runs during this time and found this:

OODBS. From what I can see this is the BootTimeDefrag from O&O Defrag.

interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="151750" endTime="181256" duration="29506">

The WinLogonInit subphase begins when SMSSInit completes and starts Winlogon.exe. During WinLogonInit, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and Group Policy scripts run. WinLogonInit ends when the Explorer process starts.

<services autoStartStartTime="166812" autoStartEndTime="339865" autoStartDuration="173052">

The start of the services takes too long.

<serviceTransition name="Schedule" group="SchedulerGroup" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="160760" .

The service "Taskscheduler" takes too long to start.

serviceTransition name="AVP" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="70493" . This is the Kaspersky service which takes too long to start.

serviceTransition name="hpqddsvc" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="144772" . A HP printer service is also starting too long.

The ICQService also takes 4s to start. Nero BackitUp takes 4.5s to start.

serviceTransition name="QBCFMonitorService" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="23474" . This service is part of Quickbooks 2009 and takes too long to start.

serviceTransition name="StarWindServiceAE" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="107178" StarWind AE Service which is part of Alcohol 120% takes too long.

serviceTransition name="VAIO Event Service" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="12134" Do you need this Sony service? if not, remove it.

The services also cause the 2 last 2 phases too proced too slowly.

<interval name="ExplorerInit" startTime="181256" endTime="210697" duration="29440">

<interval name="PostExplorerPeriod" startTime="210697" endTime="299397" duration="88700">

The ExplorerInit subphase begins when Explorer.exe starts. During ExplorerInit, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it for the first time.

The PostExplorerPeriod are the startup applications.

So, REMOVE ALL crap tools like this: "C:\Program Files\Uniblue\SpeedUpMyPC\", Alcohol, O&O Defrag, Kaspersky, the sony services and other useless things.

After doing this, run the boot optimization from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

which trains the ReadyBoot prefetcher (your is damaged):

bad_ReadyBoot.png

and after doing this, NEVER ever run O&O Defrag, again. It breaks the prefetcher and dramatically slows down Windows!

best regards

André

Thanks for all these information. As I noticed, one thing is causing this long boot. When the first black screen shows up "Starting Windows" with that windows logo there is horizontal long line appearing on the top which looks like some glitch. And this screen continues to run long time until that glitch line disappeared, then Windows boots normally. What it could be?