Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi, this is my first post here, but I have been reading the first post of this thread at least 150 time :w00t: ...

So I have run xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+POWER -postBootDelay 30 to trace boot on a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

-All Windows updates done.

-All my bios/Orom are updated to the very last version.

-All my drivers too.

I "bootDoneViaExplorer" in 10.5s witch is not bad BUT reading the .etl boot traces I can clearly see a "gap" of at least 2.5s in graphs where there is no CPU activity, no disk activity, no IO, no Generic Events :huh:

It looks like the major delay is caused by "Contrôleur audio haute définition" (Hight definition audio in english I think) but Im not sure.

If you could have a look to my .etl :hello:

here are the .etl and the XML in .rar

Thanks for your help.

It looks like the major delay is caused by "Contrôleur audio haute définition" (Hight definition audio in english I think) but Im not sure.

your Windows boot in 10s to the desktop and is fully booted in 13s.

And yes the Audio HD controller causes the delay:

"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_84181043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&D8"

Provider Name, Field 2, Time (s), Task Name, Stack, Count, Opcode Name, Field 1, Field 3, Field 4, Field 5, Field 6, Field 7, Field 8, Field 9, Field 10, Field 11, Field 12, Field 13, Field 14, Field 15

, "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_84181043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&D8", , , , 7, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

, , 2.398196733, DeviceStart, ?, 1, win:Start, 60, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

, , 2.398208177, DeviceStart, ?, 1, win:Suspend, 60, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

, , 5.660206738, DeviceStart, ?, 1, win:Stop, 60, 0, 0, "", 0, , , , , , , , ,

So update the ATI/AMD graphic drivers to update the HDMI sound driver and the realtek sound driver and see if this fixes it.

The other thing I see is the Acronis service (nonstop backup) takes some time to start.

your Windows boot in 10s to the desktop and is fully booted in 13s.

And yes the Audio HD controller causes the delay:

"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_84181043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&D8"

Provider Name, Field 2, Time (s), Task Name, Stack, Count, Opcode Name, Field 1, Field 3, Field 4, Field 5, Field 6, Field 7, Field 8, Field 9, Field 10, Field 11, Field 12, Field 13, Field 14, Field 15

, "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_84181043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&D8", , , , 7, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

, , 2.398196733, DeviceStart, ?, 1, win:Start, 60, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

, , 2.398208177, DeviceStart, ?, 1, win:Suspend, 60, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

, , 5.660206738, DeviceStart, ?, 1, win:Stop, 60, 0, 0, "", 0, , , , , , , , ,

So update the ATI/AMD graphic drivers to update the HDMI sound driver and the realtek sound driver and see if this fixes it.

The other thing I see is the Acronis service (nonstop backup) takes some time to start.

Many thanks for answering that quicly :thumbup

The only way I have found to reduce this delay is to disable de audio device in the bios :}

No matter what driver I use for both AMD video HD audio and Realtek onboard : the very exact same delay occur.

But what is strange is that in the device manager the culprit "high definition audio" PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_84181043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&D8 is listed in the "system device" and NOT in "audio, video controlers".

So the driver this device use during the boot phase seams to be a default Microsoft one while under Windows it use Realtek one?

The only way I have found to reduce this delay is to disable de audio device in the bios :}

No matter what driver I use for both AMD video HD audio and Realtek onboard : the very exact same delay occur.

But what is strange is that in the device manager the culprit "high definition audio" is listed in the "system device" and NOT in "audio, video controlers".

I have no idea why this is so. Do you really care about this 2 seconds? 13s is very good. With Win8s hybrid/fast bootthe resume of devices should be faster. Have you tried Win8?

I prefer to wait a litle for Win8.

But I would probably try it in VM first.

That said, I think there is one thing I didn't try : flash my Radeon back to its original bios :whistle:

I did flashed it a year or so and I muust admit that I have completly forgotten it :D

****...4 days now that I m fighting thoose ##£££^£})à++ing 2 or 3 seconds delay....

hyhrid/fast boot doesn't work in a VM.

But I can't see the relevance of the flashed BIOS.

Well, the Radeon video card has also some drivers for the audio so I guess that at least some of its hardware has some audio related parts.

I was hopping that it could be a conflict with this Radeon parts and my onboard Realtek audio since Radeon'sbios wasn't the original one.

So I have try to find its original bios and flashed it = no change :thumbup:w00t::realmad:

Edited by n6666661

Hi for everyone.

I've a problem with my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on HP EliteBook 6930p with Samsung 830 SSD disk. Start time is about 80-130 sec, too long. I check many things, but with no results.

I prepare two etl file (by xbootmgr with your instrutctions on first page). They are available at https://rapidshare.com/files/3383616086/Boot.rar.

I suspect WmiPrvSE.exe and LogonUI.exe processes to Windows delay, but i cannot find any hard proof for this.

Could you please to help me with this problem?

Many thanks!

ok, loading your profile is extremely slow. can please you try this hotfix:

Unexpectedly slow startup or logon process in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617858/en-us

When you perform one of the following operations on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7, the operation may take a long time to complete:

Start the computer

Log on to Windows

For example, the computer takes three or more minutes to start.

CAUSE

This issue occurs because the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) component unnecessarily performs a full validation of the WMI repository.

Note A full validation of the WMI repository is a time-consuming operation.

Does it help?

Thanks for HotFix. But installation do nothing.

I see Hotfix at Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and features -> Installed Updates --> Microsoft Windows: Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB2617858), installed today.

After two times of laptop restarting, i try one again xbootmgr. Results (with evtx file: Boot_Performance_Monitor_2012-05-01__eventId100.evtx):

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=88dc8880049aa7a0&resid=88DC8880049AA7A0!158&parid=88DC8880049AA7A0!121

the hotfix worked for the WMI issue. Is is now completely gone.

But loading profile is still slow. I need more data. Start ProcessMonitor and activate boot logging. Now run the xbootmgr command. After reboot, start ProcessMonitor again and save the data into a PML file. Stop the xbootmgr log and compress all files and upload them.