Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

I will try AutoLogon and report the results.

I use a domain logon.

I also inform you that a reboot doesn't take much time. Resume after Standby (not hybernate) doesn't take a long time either. Unless the Standby mode has been for a longer period, i.e. more than an hour or so. In that case the resume would take several minutes.

Hello,

I've been debugging a slow Windows 8 CP boot for days and can not figure it out. Symptoms are a 50 Second boot time. . .

It seems that StorPort.sys and WDF01000.sys are stalling the process but both are MS drivers so I can't disable to isolate the problem.

Boot Trace is here -

https://skydrive.liv...rive&Bsrc=Share

and System Summary is here -

https://skydrive.liv...rive&Bsrc=Share

Of course if there are any other problems that you see (I left the trace running for the full 120 seconds post boot) I would appreciate the comment!

Thanks a ton in advance,

Victor

Edited by vicbyrd

look like the USb 3.0 controller is the cause:

post-70718-0-20519600-1331319773_thumb.p

post-70718-0-96116000-1331319775_thumb.p

Which device have you connected to this USb3.0 controller?

Also, run WinSAT to calculate the Experience Index so that Superfetch is stopped. Currently the service runs which is not recommend for SSD drives.

I don't have any USB 3.0 device connected to any USB 3.0 port.

I ran WinSAT, but I already had the Superfetch service disabled.

I will test booting and resuming time again.

AutoLogon did not make any difference.

Magic,

I don't have any devices connected to the USB 3 ports but I will disable them (in BIOS) and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip on running WEI - will do.

I'll report back in a few,

Victor

Magic,

Worked a treat! Disabled USB3.0 in BIOS and disabled ASMedia SUB 3.0 devices (both ports) in Device Manager. Reduced boot time to about 15 seconds.

BTW, in your previous reply, what table did you snapshot to show the offending drivers? I was not offered that view in xperfview.

Thanks - you 'da man,

Victor

Worked a treat! Disabled USB3.0 in BIOS and disabled ASMedia SUB 3.0 devices (both ports) in Device Manager. Reduced boot time to about 15 seconds.

:thumbup You should also send this to Microsoft. Go to connect.microsoft.com, join the IE10 feedback, download the Feedback tool and install it on Windows 8 and tell MS the issue and send them the xbootmgr trace file.

BTW, in your previous reply, what table did you snapshot to show the offending drivers? I was not offered that view in xperfview.

look at the "boot phases" graph and you see that SMSSInit/Session Int takes some time.

post-70718-0-14918100-1331390227_thumb.p

In my first post I wrote that Windows loads all not boot relevant drivers and starts all not boot relevant devices. So make selection in the bootgraph that covers the delay, right click and select "clone selection". Go to the "Generic events" graph and make a rightclick in the highlighted area and make a rightclick and select "Summary table". Now expand the "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" and under "DeviceStart" you can see that gap in the Time:

post-70718-0-96993000-1331390557_thumb.p

To see which device it was, I opened the "System Configuration" under "Traces" and look in the PnP table and found which devices use those IDs:

post-70718-0-06386900-1331390638_thumb.p

This was all I did. Took my 5 minutes

@leof

have you made a new trace?

Hi Andre,

Discovered something: when I typed my password while the screen was black, nothing happened at first. But when finally my monitor lit up, the desktop was displayed in stead of the logon screen!

First thing I now did was replace the monitor cable. But maybe it's a monitor problem. I have a spare one so I will go on to experiment.

I will keep you informed how this develops. In the mean time I thank you for your attention!

Leo

Andre,

Thanks for the explanation of how you displayed the offending device on my machine. I've run thru the steps and now feel confident that I could troubleshoot a bad driver in the future. My machine has run flawlessly all weekend. Based on the # of reboots that one normally goes thru during a new OS install I'm guessing you saved me about 24 hours.

Thanks for all your help,

Victor

:thumbup