Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Your Windows satrts extremely slow:

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="532027" bootDoneViaPostBoot="577827"

532s to the desktop and 567s to boot completely (over 8 minutes!)

starting the services is extremely slow:

<services autoStartStartTime="54996" autoStartEndTime="498464" autoStartDuration="443467">

The Multimedia Class Scheduler Service takes 43s to start:

MMCSS" group="AudioGroup" transition="stop" totalTransitionTimeDelta="42865"

Do you use the latest audio drivers? If not update them.

Next the Akamai service takes 20s to start.

serviceTransition name="Akamai" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="20941"

The largest slowdown are the SQL Server services:

serviceTransition name="MSSQLSERVER" totalTransitionTimeDelta="417300"
serviceTransition name="MSSQLServerOLAPService" totalTransitionTimeDelta="401192"
serviceTransition name="ReportServer" totalTransitionTimeDelta="407688"

Do you need them directly at start? If not, set the starttyp to "on demand /manual" and start them via CMD script (net start MSSQLSERVER, net start MSSQLServerOLAPService and net start ReportServer)

teamviewer is also very slow:

serviceTransition name="TeamViewer7" totalTransitionTimeDelta="390061"

Next you run your Toshiba MK6465GSX in IDE mode (IDE\DiskTOSHIBA_MK6465GSX), try AHCI if possible.

Also look at the optimization I linked in the first topic. Install the hotfixes, reboot and run the optimization command. If this doesn't speedup Windows, make a new trace and this time upload the compressed ETL file.

<interval name="ZeroHiberFile" startTime="11535" endTime="59594" duration="48059" />

you delete the Page file at shutdown.

Run regedit.exe, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and set the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 0

this fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having problems where this computer I just built was taking a very long time to boot even though the windows install is on an SSD.

My trace is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20377915/boottrace.zip

I've notice that the Profiles process is likely the problem, but I have no clue how to fix this.

My SSD is drive C: and it holds the windows install and various programs that I want to be able to run very quickly.

My Data HDD is drive E: and it has other data as well as my Users and ProgramData directories.

To move my Users and ProgramData directories onto the HDD from the SSD I used this method: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/124198-user-profiles-create-move-during-windows-7-installation.html

Windows booted very quickly just a few days ago, but yesterday and today it has been taking nearly 6 minutes or more to hit the desktop. Any help would be appreciated.

@DuskDragon,

Are there any changes you made recently (within the last couple of days)? What is taking the longest is the LogonUI.exe.

Another one that you can turn off because it takes almost 12 seconds is the GoogleUpdater.exe. You can turn that off in msconfig.exe

Maybe MagicAndre will know exactly whats wrong. He seems to be a wizard at this.

Thanks,

SonofNun

Here is my new trace:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20377915/bootlog2.zip

I uninstalled MSE, restarted once and then ran this boot trace (a second restart). It was still a very long boot taking about four and a half minutes.

Hopefully I can reinstall MSE at some point without this problem continuing.

Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DuskDragon

Hi, I have a problem putting to sleep my pc. I have windows 64 bit since I assembled this pc, but one day I started experiencing this problems. When I try to put it to sleep it takes at least 10-15 seconds, then it seems working and turning off, but after like 5 seconds it turns on again. What can I do? I tried to use "xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP" but it tells me that xbootmgr is non recognized as a valid command.