Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Before you wrote I was trying to switch to AHCI - but didn't know that first it has to be enabled in registry (as in link from microsoft you've given). So I changed it only in BIOS and windows crashed at boot, when colorful logo started to appear. Windows went in the repair mode and made successful recovery - and after that THE BOOT WAS FAS AGAIN! I mean the color logo start to appear in 3-4 seconds after title "windows 7" was shown. Then I followed your advices, disactivated Superfetch and properly installed AHCI drivers, changed BIOS to them as well. And... the boot is long again. I tried to repeat all I've done before to get it fixed, but this time, windows recovery didn't help. Grrrr....

I started to doubt if the complete windows reinstall would help it...

>Disable Superfetch because this causes more read/write activies for a SSD and this reduces the lifetime. I can't really see a cause. But I can see that your run the SSD in IDE mode (ATAPI). So change this to AHCI:

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

>and look if this improves speed.

>>Hi Andre,

>>I see your already an expert in analyzing boot traces and helping guys like me, who cannot read it properly enough. So, if you could have a look at my PM log and etl file, I'd be very grateful, I've spent an awful amount of time trying to learn the reason of boot delay that probably appeared after some windows update or after some >>operations with booting from usb.

>>This appeared only two days after fresh install of W7 Ultimate on new SSD. Freshly installed system was booting in about 15-20 sec, now it's approx. 2,5 min. Don't know why first etl was about 130MB, now it's more than 300MB. Packed, together with ProcMon log I uploaded here: http://www66.zippysh...96662/file.html

>>I've checked all drivers in Device Manager, and it shows them all updated. HDD's (SSD + Barracuda7200.11 500GB + Barracuda7200.12 1TB) are all up to date.

>>Hope you'll find a minute to look at it. Big thanks in advance!

P.S. I copied first two post from PM, for everyone's eyes.

BINGO! :)

as disabling Superprefetch and AHCI didn't help I spent further hours trying to fix it. Even fresh install of W7 didn't help. I was "a bit" frustrated but it had to be resolved so I searched the web again for any new idea. And eventually found this:

"http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2064-63-windows-install-hangs-starting-windows-screen"

I had a similar problem, though the freeze at the "starting windows" screen would go on to load windows after 1-2 minutes.

The problem for me was I had a memory card reader plugged into a USB header. In the BIOS, there was an option for "Legacy USB Storage Detection" that was enabled by default. After that option was disabled I was able to have my card reader installed without hanging the system.

As others have suggested, unplug anything not required to boot up and if you have anything plugged into your onboard USB then check for a similar option in your BIOS and disable it.

Exactly my problem and exactly my solution. I turned off "Legacy USB Storage Detection" in BIOS and Windows started to boot without almost any delay between "starting windows" and appearing logo. Just for info my current .etl files is here:

http://www.filedropper.com/w7ssdm4

My motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, BIOS v. F12b

@AllanFreelancer

have you removed all the snakeoil tools? Do this and let the PC idle for some time. Windows runs defrag it's own. After 2 days try again to make a trace.

Hi MagicAndre,

I don't know if you remember me... I noticed from my premerged trace that Windows Search service took a LOT of time, so I disabled the service and voila!

I was able to capture the whole trace and got no errors during xperf processing.

and here it is the download link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QEF5PW4V

but as I mentioned before, I needed to disabled the service of windows search.

kind regards,

Allan

Yes I remember you.

Windows takes 30s to boot to the desktop and 47s to boot completely:

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="30044" bootDoneViaPostBoot="57444"

The service NanoServiceMain (Panda - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSANHost.exe") causes a 20s delay. Is version 3.0.0.78 the latest Panda version? If not update and if it is, remove it and try a different AV tool

Yes I remember you.

Windows takes 30s to boot to the desktop and 47s to boot completely:

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="30044" bootDoneViaPostBoot="57444"

The service NanoServiceMain (Panda - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSANHost.exe") causes a 20s delay. Is version 3.0.0.78 the latest Panda version? If not update and if it is, remove it and try a different AV tool

Hi again MagicAndre,

thanks for your promptly respond, but I was checking the official site of panda cloud and 1.5.1 is the latest version as a free antivirus.

please see the attachment and I don't know what antivirus install on my system since Avast cause a delay of 30 seconds on my PC

and seems that my computer sucks with any antivirus I install.

pandap.png

kind regards,

Allan

Edited by AllanFreelancer

I checked the fileversion of the PSANHost.exe and this version is 3.0.0.78. But if you use the latest version from the website than it is the latest version. Try a different AV tool (Avast, Avira AntiVir, MSE)

Hi MagicAndre,

here it is the new boot trace, I switch of antivirus for Avira free antivirus.

hope this time everything is ok.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EW4TZ1KW

kind regards,

Allan

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="21695" bootDoneViaPostBoot="62795" 

it not a real change. Windows boots in 22s to the desktop and is finished completely in about 53s. AntiVir service now takes 25s to start. Also the Modem service takes too long to start. (Yota Access Service (Modems) - "C:/Program Files (x86)/Yota/Yota Access (Modems)/YotaAccessService.exe" ).

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="21695" bootDoneViaPostBoot="62795" 

it not a real change. Windows boots in 22s to the desktop and is finished completely in about 53s. AntiVir service now takes 25s to start. Also the Modem service takes too long to start. (Yota Access Service (Modems) - "C:/Program Files (x86)/Yota/Yota Access (Modems)/YotaAccessService.exe" ).

MagicAndre,

is anything that I can do for my operating system????

since it seems like my systems sucks and I run

the boot optimization several times

and Yota access services is my internet connection.

kind regards,

Allan