Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

@SonofNun

Windows takes 25s to boot to the desktop and 60s to boot completely. Most time is no spend by running all startup apps. So the only chance to speed the boot more up is to disable the tools you run at startup.

@AllanFreelancer

have you removed all the snakeoil tools? Do this and let the PC idle for some time. Windows runs defrag it's own. After 2 days try again to make a trace.

@SonofNun

Windows takes 25s to boot to the desktop and 60s to boot completely. Most time is no spend by running all startup apps. So the only chance to speed the boot more up is to disable the tools you run at startup.

@AllanFreelancer

have you removed all the snakeoil tools? Do this and let the PC idle for some time. Windows runs defrag it's own. After 2 days try again to make a trace.

Yes, I uninstalled all of them:

PC Boost

SuperRAM

Soluto

PC Tools

but not Advanced System Care, since this program is a maintenance tool, but if you think that is not necessary I will uninstall it right away,

but how could keep the system running like a charm if I uninstalled it???

kind regards,

Allan

Edited by AllanFreelancer

Hi Andrei. Thank you for this tutorial.

But, in my case, the command prompt seems can't open the output file which is in .xml

It said.Failed to open output file.

What's wrong with it? Thank you.

But, in my case, the command prompt seems can't open the output file which is in .xml

Try changing the directory in the command prompt to the "temp" folder. (In case you don't know how to do this, type - cd c:\temp - and hit enter.)

Then you can run the command to convert it to xml.

Thanks,

SonofNun

but not Advanced System Care, since this program is a maintenance tool, but if you think that is not necessary I will uninstall it right away,

remove it, too. it is only crap. No Windows needs a maintenance tool. Windows has it included. It defrags the HDD if the PC is idle. I run the disk cleanup tool once per week with the task scheduler to delete my temp files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253597

That's all you need.

when you start the cmd.exe with admin rights, the current patch is C:\Windows\system32. So you must do what SonofNun told you to go C:\temp. I already replied to the Speedup topic.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask you guys to have a look on my attached boot trace XML because my Windows 7 just takes too long to start up. I know that the beginning of this topic has the solution what to do but i just still dont know which drivers or other things are slowing my laptop down (dell inspiron n7110)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=cac384aa6779d3d0&resid=CAC384AA6779D3D0!211&authkey=sGLy*vugUGI%24

Thank you,

Laz

Laz,

After looking at your boot trace, several main things pop out at me.

1) Roxio takes a total of around 25 seconds to start, so, depending on whether you use it, you can either uninstall it, or use MSConfig to turn off the startup of this program

2) Google updater should be turned off. It takes 5 seconds to start up.

3) I am not sure what facebook update is, but it takes a few seconds and probably is unnecessary.

4) OK, here is the big one. A WMI service takes 190 seconds, and a second WMI service takes 89 seconds, and a third one takes 76 seconds. I am not sure why there are three of these running and why they take so long, but it is unusual and we should try to find a fix for that.

5)Acrodist.exe (Adobe acrobat distiler) takes 52 seconds to start up. Try and see if you can shut it off using either the Services console or MSConfig

If I understand it correctly, I think it shows that it takes around 4 minutes to complete startup. Does that sound right?

How long have you used this installation of Windows?

Thanks,

SonofNun

Laz,

After looking at your boot trace, several main things pop out at me.

1) Roxio takes a total of around 25 seconds to start, so, depending on whether you use it, you can either uninstall it, or use MSConfig to turn off the startup of this program

2) Google updater should be turned off. It takes 5 seconds to start up.

3) I am not sure what facebook update is, but it takes a few seconds and probably is unnecessary.

4) OK, here is the big one. A WMI service takes 190 seconds, and a second WMI service takes 89 seconds, and a third one takes 76 seconds. I am not sure why there are three of these running and why they take so long, but it is unusual and we should try to find a fix for that.

5)Acrodist.exe (Adobe acrobat distiler) takes 52 seconds to start up. Try and see if you can shut it off using either the Services console or MSConfig

If I understand it correctly, I think it shows that it takes around 4 minutes to complete startup. Does that sound right?

How long have you used this installation of Windows?

Thanks,

SonofNun

Thank you SonofNun for your fast reply :)

You are right, it takes like 4 minutes to start up :S. So i will do the steps you recommended and i will post the results.

Regards,

Laz

@MagicAndre

If my value for bootDoneViaPostBoot = 46951, that means it took almost 37 seconds to finish booting right?

yes, the 10s are the idle detection. Nice to see that you're interested in this topic and try to help other users :)

@Laz11

after you did what SonofNun told you run the optimization from the first topic. Your ReadyBoot Cache is broken. This causes the terrible performance.

Thanks. I want to understand this topic inside and out so I can be doing this for other people without having to mess with the waiting involved with asking on this forum. (Not that I don't appreciate what you do to help, but if I am doing this on someone else's computer who wouldn't be able to do it themselves, I wouldn't have their computer long enough to wait for a response from here.)

Thanks again for your help.

@MagicAndre

If my value for bootDoneViaPostBoot = 46951, that means it took almost 37 seconds to finish booting right?

yes, the 10s are the idle detection. Nice to see that you're interested in this topic and try to help other users :)

@Laz11

after you did what SonofNun told you run the optimization from the first topic. Your ReadyBoot Cache is broken. This causes the terrible performance.

Thank you for your help as well. Now I am just trying to figure it out how SonofNun could read out the Roxio, facebook updater, etc..from the files. Where can i find these information?

Thanks,

Laz

@MagicAndre

@Laz11

I did the hotfixes and then i used this command: xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

Everything went well until the 6th restart.

Error Message on the pop up window 1: Stopping trace...

Error Message on the pop up window 2:

"Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds.

Could not wait for prefetcher.

Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list.

Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list."

My laptop is booting now faster than before anyway but still......

Thanks,

Laz