Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

use the internal defrag tool. Run the optimization and if this doesn't improve the speed upload the compressed ETL file.

Internal defrag tool? You mean the one that comes with Windows 7? After Using Ultimate Defrag 3, my HDD is now 0% fragmented. Even Window says so.

Thanks,

SonofNun

[Edit]

Here is my most current Boot trace:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22446065/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1.etl

Thanks again.

Edited by SonofNun

yes, I mean the Windows included defrag tool. The prefetcher is broken, you have too many cache misses.

The service UleadBurningHelper takes 6s, service PwmEWSvc takes 6.5s, the SUService takes 4.5s to start. If you don't need both, disable them. Service UNS hangs completely. Also why do you need the SQLWriter service? Why have you installed SQL Server?

Also do you need all of the Lenovo tools? Check if you can stop some.

The Defrag tool places the files so terrible on the HDD, that the HDD is totally busy. Don't use such crap tools. Remove the tool and check the optimization topic I linked in the first post. Install the hotfixes and run the command I provided. If this doesn't fix it, remove Norton360 and use a different AV tool. Norton is really slow.

yes, I mean the Windows included defrag tool. The prefetcher is broken, you have too many cache misses.

The service UleadBurningHelper takes 6s, service PwmEWSvc takes 6.5s, the SUService takes 4.5s to start. If you don't need both, disable them. Service UNS hangs completely. Also why do you need the SQLWriter service? Why have you installed SQL Server?

Also do you need all of the Lenovo tools? Check if you can stop some.

The Defrag tool places the files so terrible on the HDD, that the HDD is totally busy. Don't use such crap tools. Remove the tool and check the optimization topic I linked in the first post. Install the hotfixes and run the command I provided. If this doesn't fix it, remove Norton360 and use a different AV tool. Norton is really slow.

I don't know where Ulead came from, maybe Corel DVD movie factory? Either way, I don't use it so I'll remove it. I'll probably get rid of the Thinkvantage updater, but I like the Lenovo Power management, so I will probably just deal with that. What is the "Service UNS"? Do I need it? SQL Server installed when I installed Visual Studio 2010 (I take programming classes at my university). I don't need it, I don't get why it even affects the boot. I'll get rid of the Lenovo tools that I don't need.

Sorry about the defrag tool. I don't usually install things like that, but I was "tricked" into believing that it would do a better job than windows would. Though when I think about it, if I allowed Windows to do it, it would know best where things are and should be. When I installed the three hotfixes, I thought that the cmd line that you gave was specific only to Vista, so I'll give that a shot.

What do you suggest for an AV tool. Ever since version 4 of norton 360, I have been pleased with the performance. But if you say so . . . What do you think of Microsoft security essentials?

Thanks again for all your help,

SonofNun

use the internal defrag tool. Run the optimization and if this doesn't improve the speed upload the compressed ETL file.

@AllanFreelancer

what is the starttype of the superfetch service?

Sorry to reply late MagicAndre,

these days I was very busy working, but here it is a screen capture of the Superfetch service

post-334378-0-62851000-1318712627_thumb.

which according to the image you see that is set to "Automatically" I'm not sure if this is right as it is,

so you are the expert, please give me your opinion about it.

Also here it is the command line that I put on the Windows SDK command prompt

xbootmgr -trace boot -postBootDelay 300 -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

kind regards,

Allan

Edited by AllanFreelancer

After doing those things and ditching Norton for Microsoft Security Essentials, my boot time is now around 1 minute. I still would like to get it less if possible, but if not I will be satisfied with a minute.

@SonofNun

disable the SQLWriter service and do the other tips and run the optimization. This should really help. Reply again if this makes Windows faster.

@Allan

try this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wptk_v4/thread/b88aa183-d3ee-4cd1-92d6-e466c07e1a2f

Hi MagicAndre,

I think this time everything is ok and the files report as well, since no error pop up was found.

and here is the link with the files report http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7IKC1XA0

I'm not sure if the report is complete, but you tell me please

kind regards,

Allan

After doing those things and ditching Norton for Microsoft Security Essentials, my boot time is now around 1 minute. I still would like to get it less if possible, but if not I will be satisfied with a minute.

can you give me the latest trace so tjhat I can look at it?

and here is the link with the files report http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7IKC1XA0

The Nanoservice hangs for 49s. What is this? Do you need it? If not stop it.

Also uninstall this SuperRAM tool, do you need this Advanced SystemCare and PC Tools? "PC tools" often causes issues and crashes and you are already running the Windows firewall. The PC tools damages the prefetcher completely. This generates the cache misses and slows down the boot. Also don't use a different defrag tool. Uninstall Perfect Disk and ONLY use the Windows integrated defrag tool. Also uninstall Soluto, only trust xbootmgr and not such an tool. Also uninstall C:\Program Files (x86)\PGWARE\PCBoost\PCBoost.exe. This is all crap.

Uninstall all those snakeoil tools and only use your Panda AV and the Windows firewall. This is enough. After removing all tools run the optimization again.

I tried changing the registry values to this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction]

"OptimizeComplete"="Y"

"OptimizeError"=""

"LcnStartLocation"="0"

"LcnEndLocation"="0"

"Enable"="Y"

But it still doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Remove the WPT 4.6 and install version 4.8 from the Windows SDK for Windows 7 ad .Net Framework 4.0 and try it again.

Hi again MagicAndre,

post-334378-0-45793100-1318596923_thumb.

Same error again MagicAndre, as same as SnofNun, I don't get it, why this error appears after a boot optimization

maybe a bug??? and I have the same values as in your post is.

post-334378-0-98289700-1318792240_thumb.

post-334378-0-59678900-1318792298_thumb.

kind regards,

Allan