Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Remove WinImage and try again. This is a virtual DVD drive software. maybe the driver has some issues with resume.

What is KB2559635? I can't find what this is. Is it a private hotfix?

Have you installed new drivers for the SATA controller at this time?

Remove WinImage and try again. This is a virtual DVD drive software. maybe the driver has some issues with resume.

What is KB2559635? I can't find what this is. Is it a private hotfix?

Have you installed new drivers for the SATA controller at this time?

Winimage is removed.

The correct KB number is KB 2539635 :blushing:

The 3ware driver was updated at 2011-09-17. Driver update from 3.00.04.070 (2009-03-24) to 3.00.05.056 (2011-08-10). Today I have updated the controller bios. Its now FE9X 4.10.00.024.

At last I tried hibernation - but without success. Everything was powered down, but resume fails (as mentioned above).

Edited by panolis

All of the shutdown time here appears to be because a WMI provider takes forever to shutdown, but the CPU time is all in a thread in the shutdown logonui.exe process (showing you the shutdown status screen). To get anything useful out of this, you're going to need to take a new trace with only the following options:

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceflags dispatcher+latency -stackwalk readythread+threadcreate+cswitch+profile -resultPath c:\shutdown_trace

I followed the step to record a trace for shutdown but I'm not 100% sure I did everything correct. Either way my issue is really long shutdown times, it seems to hang the system anything from 1-5 minutes. My OS is on Crucial M4 SSD. I have tried clean boot which seems to get rid of the problem but when I activate my regular start up items it starts hanging the system again.

I have uploaded two trace files, one with the parameters in the OP and one from first time I tried, just a regular boot. Can someone take a look at it?

http://min.us/lG8MRVCzJ1ZZ5

http://min.us/luH8XNBs9aPGa

Thanks in advance

the trace says your Windows is ok:

- <timing shutdownTime="8517" servicesShutdownDuration="5019">

So the complete shutdown takes 8.5s and most time it takes to shutdown the services (5 seconds). And here there is1 hanging service:

unresponsiveServices numUnresponsiveServices="1">
<unresponsiveService name="BsMailProxy" />

So update or remove BullGuard and check if this fixes the sporadic delays.

the trace says your Windows is ok:

- <timing shutdownTime="8517" servicesShutdownDuration="5019">

So the complete shutdown takes 8.5s and most time it takes to shutdown the services (5 seconds). And here there is1 hanging service:

unresponsiveServices numUnresponsiveServices="1">

So update or remove BullGuard and check if this fixes the sporadic delays.

Did you check both logs though? second should show about a 50 seconds delay. i'll try and re-install my firewall, see if it changes anything.

in the second trace the system kernel took longer to shutdown:

interval name="NtShutdownSystem" startTime="16726" endTime="61308" duration="44581" />

and the Bullgard services were also slow and not responding:

- <unresponsiveServices numUnresponsiveServices="3">
<unresponsiveService name="BsFileScan" />
<unresponsiveService name="BsFire" />

Remove Bullgard and test again.

I did what you suggested and there is no longer in hangups. I also re-installed Bullguard and have now tested shutdowns a few times, again no delays.

Thank you for the quick help.

MagicAndre :) Can you have a look and tell me whats wrong if I upload a trace for you? Where/ how should I upload/ make it accessible for you?

This is the issue I've been facing and want to figure out which driver is causing it.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=99689

One Z file containing 3 separate instances of Summary. The ETL was too large for the upload bandwidth I have at this time. Can you help figure out the issue(s) here?

http://www.mediafire.com/?0wk30o3sgg4o7cd

all summaries don't look good. But I need the ETL files. Can you compress them as 7z (LZMA2/Ultra) and upload them?

In all cases the WinlogonInit (starting services, request password, connect network connections) is slow

WinlogonInit" startTime="23322" endTime="418517" duration="395195">

If you use a HDD run the optimization I linked in the first post and look if this improves it. And xbootmgr doesn't tell you why it only boots while docked. I can only see why it is slow and how to solve the slowness.

All of the shutdown time here appears to be because a WMI provider takes forever to shutdown, but the CPU time is all in a thread in the shutdown logonui.exe process (showing you the shutdown status screen). To get anything useful out of this, you're going to need to take a new trace with only the following options:

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceflags dispatcher+latency -stackwalk readythread+threadcreate+cswitch+profile -resultPath c:\shutdown_trace

Here is the new trace with the options you specified. The computer took long to shutdown as before, but after I got back on my desktop, there was a notification asking me to Cancel or Finish with a timer of 130 seconds. I clicked "Finish" not knowing what it was, other than assuming it was part of the trace, and my computer rebooted again this time not delaying to shutdown. With that said, I dont know if the Trace data is accurate on that account but here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?feo7cbfq8567toa

this time the shutdown is fine. It takes 9s and 5s to stop the services.

timing shutdownTime="9376" servicesShutdownDuration="5006">

Add the -noPrepReboot parameter to the command line to avoid 1 reboot. This should now trace the delay from the first shutdown.

Edited by MagicAndre1981