Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

I did update my C300 SSD firmware from v6 to v7 and that made a huge difference - it now takes less than 30 seconds to hibernate, but about 90 seconds to resume. Here is my new trace.

I did also disable write caching on the SSD in device manager as recommended by "somewhere" - that remains a question, should write-cachine be disabled for SSD drives?

This laptop is an MPC Transport T3200E with AMI BIOS v8.00.14 (11/14/2007) which doesn't have settings for SATA to be IDE or AHCI. Given it's age - about 4 years, I don't know if it support AHCI or not. How would I know?

I've been reading up on the xperfview - I wish I could read it better. The timeline shown - is that from shutdown through resume? So the big dead-space in the middle is time lapsed while the computer is off? In the Driver Delays CheckPoints graph, it shows bowser.sys as consuming the dead-space, and the Process Lifetimes underneath that LogonUI, SearchFilterHost.exe and SearchProtocolHost taking up almost the entire timeline, so these throw me off. Do you have a good resource that better explains what I'm looking at (the ones I've found on haven't been very helpful in explaining this). Do you have a quick explanation?

Thanks Andre' - you're obviously the authority in this matter and your reputation is excellent. I'm surprise and very please that you are still providing this service - you must enjoy it...or at least enjoy being "the hero" so frequently. :-)

Edited by BKeadle

Thanks Andre' - you're obviously the authority in this matter and your reputation is excellent. I'm surprise and very please that you are still providing this service - you must enjoy it...or at least enjoy being "the hero" so frequently. :-)

:lol: no I just want to help users. This makes me happy.

The value is still too high:

hiberread="72192000"

Run Process Monitor, start the logging and now run the xbootmgr command. After Windows resumed, open Process Monitor again, stop the trace and look in the duration column if you see a larger delay. What happens there?

Based on IDE\DISKC300-CTFDDAC064MAG______________________0007____\5&816A8CE&0&0.0.0 I would say it runs in IDE mode and not in AHCI. Is this the latest BIOS for your laptop?

I've enabled Boot Logging in ProcMon, but after a hibernate and resume, procmon doesn't report a boot event, so I have no boot logging. Thinking that procmon monitoring needs to running/capturing, I tried enabling capture, but then when I try the xbootmgr command, I get an error message, "Couldn't start tracing session to ... Unable to start trace.". Am I doing something wrong here? Cold boot and boot up is plenty fast - no complaints there. Even hibernate is acceptable, it's just the resume time I'm chasing here - though the 60-120 seconds is *A LOT* better than the several minutes earlier, prior to the SSD FW update.

Care to comment about reading xperfview?

I've been reading up on the xperfview - I wish I could read it better. The timeline shown - is that from shutdown through resume? So the big dead-space in the middle is time lapsed while the computer is off? In the Driver Delays CheckPoints graph, it shows bowser.sys as consuming the dead-space, and the Process Lifetimes underneath that LogonUI, SearchFilterHost.exe and SearchProtocolHost taking up almost the entire timeline, so these throw me off. Do you have a good resource that better explains what I'm looking at (the ones I've found on haven't been very helpful in explaining this). Do you have a quick explanation?

Edited by BKeadle

I am unable to take a trace as long as ProcMon is capturing events. We are talking ProcMon.exe from Sysinternals, right? It would seem that you are expecting this to work, and I've read elsewhere in this thread people using Process monitor as a diagnostic tool for this issue. I don't understand why I'm unable to.

My last resume took over 7 minutes (I wasn't tracing at the time). This is *so* irritating!

>>>>>>>>

This last trace shows a ~70 second hibernate, and an almost 9 minute resume!

Edited by BKeadle

I also run both tools to tarce my slow hibernation resume and it works.

I started ProcMon and next run xbootmgr and it works for me fine.

reading is slow (over 500seconds):

hiberread="503716000"

Try to disable the hibernation file, defrag the SSD (yes, running defrag 1 time should be ok), enable hibernation again and try again.

I see what you mean - the .XML is easier to read. I'm now better able to interpret the results and see what you see.

I see suspend apps, services and devices, but I only see resume devices - is there a way to include apps and services in the resume information?

In this line:

<scenario start="292709" duration="534922390" suspend="11947000" resumecritical="1242341" hiberwrite="53216000" hiberpageswritten="233423" hiberread="426693000" resume="1852000">

Am I reading this correctly:

~ 12 seconds to suspend

~ 53 seconds to write to hibernate file

~ 2 seconds to resume after ~426 seconds (7 minutes) to read the hibernate file?

I had yesterday removed the hibernate file (powercfg -h off), defragged, then restore the hibernate file (powercfg -h on). I'll try again. Still 7+ minutes to resume.

After deleting the hibernate file, defragging, including consolidating free space (defrag C: /V /H /U /X) and doing another trace, I see the hiberwrite was done in 22 seconds (good!), but hiberread is 146 seconds - over 2 minutes. Since I'm unable to get this SSD in AHCI mode because of the age of the hardware it is in, perhaps this is the best I can hope for. Boot up and shutdown are plenty fast ... I wonder what's specific about *reading* the hibernate file that is being so difficult.

Thanks Andre' for your help - I've learned plenty through the process. If anything comes to you about what might be going on please let me know. If I have a break through, I'll report back.

Hmmm, W.A.T. ... I guess I'll "play" with that too. Thanks.

Do you mean the "internal" Assessment tool - the one that provides the performance index? I did discover here that there is command line access and verbose details to that. Here are my results:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit>winsat formal

Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running the Formal Assessment
Machine alrady has a WinEI rating. Rerunning all assessments ...
> CPU LZW Compression 46.66 MB/s
> CPU AES256 Encryption 23.22 MB/s
> CPU Vista Compression 141.49 MB/s
> CPU SHA1 Hash 169.73 MB/s
> Uniproc CPU LZW Compression 23.48 MB/s
> Uniproc CPU AES256 Encryption 11.58 MB/s
> Uniproc CPU Vista Compression 70.77 MB/s
> Uniproc CPU SHA1 Hash 84.91 MB/s
> Memory Performance 3197.67 MB/s
> Direct3D Batch Performance 180.06 F/s
> Direct3D Alpha Blend Performance 176.46 F/s
> Direct3D ALU Performance 56.68 F/s
> Direct3D Texture Load Performance 48.28 F/s
> Direct3D Batch Performance 0.00 F/s
> Direct3D Alpha Blend Performance 0.00 F/s
> Direct3D ALU Performance 0.00 F/s
> Direct3D Texture Load Performance 0.00 F/s
> Direct3D Geometry Performance 0.00 F/s
> Direct3D Geometry Performance 0.00 F/s
> Direct3D Constant Buffer Performance 0.00 F/s
> Video Memory Throughput 4541.81 MB/s
> Dshow Video Encode Time 17.65172 s
> Media Foundation Decode Time 2.86259 s
> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 124.36 MB/s 6.9
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 65.24 MB/s 6.8
> Responsiveness: Average IO Rate 2.18 ms/IO 6.9
> Responsiveness: Grouped IOs 12.87 units 6.5
> Responsiveness: Long IOs 10.56 units 7.3
> Responsiveness: Overall 135.92 units 6.7
> Responsiveness: PenaltyFactor 0.0
> Total Run Time 00:05:06.89

As for the assessment summary I was familiar with, my disk metric is 6.9/8.0, whereas my lowest rated component is the Processor @ 3.1/8.0. Anything in the above output of interest?

Edited by BKeadle

MagicAndre,

I am running Win 7 x64 on an Intel D975XBX MOBO with a C2D E6600 processor and 8Gb of Gskill RAM. After entering standby (s3) my computer hangs on resume before waking the monitor. I have made a trace of the operation at:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0d8f89132a995684#!/?cid=0d8f89132a995684&sc=documents&uc=1&nl=1&id=D8F89132A995684%21325

Can you take a look at it for me.

Thanks