Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hello,

I have a newly built system which is failing to resume properly from S3 sleep. After 10-15 minutes of sleep mode, on resume, the system simply shuts down completely. The only way to get the system up and running again is to power off the power supply, wait a few seconds, turn the switch back on, and then turn the system back on. I have reflashed BIOS to the latest BIOS version, reset CMOS, installed the OS on a different hard drive, installed the latest video, chipset, sata drivers, and even RMAd the board and memory once. Hibernate mode works without a hitch. It is an intermittent problem, which remains unresolved. There are no BSODs and the only error I get in event viewer is Event ID 41 Kernel Power error, stating that the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

The system components include Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard with 24 GB DDR3 ram( 6 DIMMS of Crucial PC-10600 (4GB DDR3-1333Mhz) (CT51264BA1339), Core i7 950 CPU, EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB, and Corsair AX850 power supply. The system is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Attached is a sleep trace for my system using xbootmgr. Please review and let me know if you have any suggestions.

sleep trace.rar

Hello,

Please find the attached etl file at http://rapidshare.com/files/450493924/sleep_mode_trace.rar

I have a newly built system which is failing to resume properly from S3 sleep. After 10-15 minutes of sleep mode, on resume, the system simply shuts down completely. The only way to get the system up and running again is to power off the power supply, wait a few seconds, turn the switch back on, and then turn the system back on. I have reflashed BIOS to the latest BIOS version, reset CMOS, installed the OS on a different hard drive, installed the latest video, chipset, sata drivers, and even RMAd the board and memory once. Hibernate mode works without a hitch. It is an intermittent problem, which remains unresolved. There are no BSODs and the only error I get in event viewer is Event ID 41 Kernel Power error, stating that the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

The system components include Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard with 24 GB DDR3 ram( 6 DIMMS of Crucial PC-10600 (4GB DDR3-1333Mhz) (CT51264BA1339), Core i7 950 CPU, EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB, and Corsair AX850 power supply. The system is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Attached is a sleep trace for my system using xbootmgr. Please review and let me know if you have any suggestions.

I can't see anything from the log. The sleep/resuming is fast, but the complete trace takes over 60s. But I don't see where the gap is.

But you use Windows 7 + GDR updates. Try to install the Sp1 which includes nearly 800fixes for Windows 7. So try if it makes a difference.

A word of warning.

After setting up a boot trace like described in the OP, my computer first got a BSOD at startup saying something about "IRQL_OR_LESS...". Then after restarting my RAID1 array (not the win drive) notified me of a "degrade" and then the startup hung at a blinking cursor (before "Starting Windows"). Then after restarting AGAIN, the RAID1 array notified of a "rebuild" and then Windows started again normally (after I skipped a Windows Repair menu). Upon entering Windows again the trace logger notified me of a successful log, then said "Waiting for prefetcher..." for a while and then said;

Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds.

Could not wait for prefetcher.

Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list.

Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list.

After running the .etl file through xperf, like the OP says, the summary_boot.xml contains just this line;

Boot action failed: Could not locate ExplorerReady event or mark.

I guess I can live with a 30 second delay on my SSD setup. :}

Edited by Mouseplay

I have a problem with welcome screen.when I enter my log-in pass it delays for about 20-30 sec and during this period Hard disk led doesn't show any activity. I tried every thing like defrag, stopping windows desktop management service ,and stopping all services. but none of them worked.I have win7 sp1 and using raid 0 config. I don't have such a problem when I boot up in safe mode(with/without networking) . I'm running win on standalone computer not network.Any help really appreciated.I couldn't generate summary.xml because it says I should do sth about min and max buffers and it lost some traces :wacko:

How to solve this problem

the 2 boot phases take the longest time:

interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="27931" endTime="48662" duration="20731">

<interval name="ExplorerInit" startTime="48662" endTime="102320" duration="53657">

which shows the delay.

Run the optimization, which I linked in the first topic.

thank for your help

but my attached file was the one just after trying improve the boot time instruction

I wonder if it is possible to know which apps or services causee delay in explorerinit and winlogininit

thx