Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

I walked away the last time that it booted and when I got back, it was scrolling some text. (black screen with white text) im assuming it was a disk check, but im not sure... i rebooted then and it started up how it usually does, 3.5 mins.

Edited by Nimso

i just disabled gsata and usb 3.0 in the bios, and windows loaded in like 10 seconds.... way shorter... i can try to turn one on and see if its one, or both of them now...

**Edit** I just tested, and usb 3.0 works, but whenever i have sata 6g enabled, it does the long boot. i disabled usb3.0 and enabled sata 6g and it took 3.5 mins to load windows, the same as with usb3.0 and sata 6g enabled. it only loads in 10 secs when i have sata 6g disabled.

Edited by Nimso

Andre,

First, thanks for all the time you spend on this. My Windows 7 installation started acting strangely after I moved My Documents to a secondary drive, so I made an image copy, wiped the boot partition and reinstalled. Because I have an Upgrade license, I did not activate on 1st install, shutdown and "upgraded" the original Windows 7 install. This seemed to work well except that the shutdown now takes 3:52 to 3:55 (m:ss).

Other than Windows and MS Updates, I installed Avast Free v5 and an AD1888 sound driver from the motherboard vendor in XP compatibility mode. The motherboard is PC Chips Goal 3+.

When I use xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath D:\TEMP the result always shows 15 or 16 seconds to shutdown, instead of nearly 4 minutes. Here is the link to the trace:

http://cid-a79fe3f6b8b4fd21.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=A79FE3F6B8B4FD21!102

My original upgrade of Windows 7 (from XP SP3) shutdown in approximately 1:10 to 1:40.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Buckeye

Edited by BuckeyeInWi

correct, the trace says that it takes 16s to shutdown (5s to stop all running programs, 3s to stop the services and the rest is to shutdown Windows itself).

The trace doesn't show anything why it should take 4minutes.

I just did a restart, and found that it does indeed Restart in 15 to 16 seconds. It's only a shutdown that takes nearly 4 minutes. This is quite odd, but I guess I can live with it.

Thanks again,

Buckeye

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i just wanted to update you guys with what was causing my windows to load in 3.5 mins... my sata 3 works now, it ended up being a dvd burner drive that i was using... i swapped it out with one from my other computer and everything works fine... thanks for the help :)

it ended up being a dvd burner drive that i was using

ok, thanks for the feedback. Which DVD burner was it? Maybe other users have such an issue, too.

thanks for the help :)

you're welcome

Its a Lite-on LH-20A1H

Model Number: LH-20A1H186C

Manufactured date: Jan 2007

I ended up putting in a Plextor slot loading dvd burner that I bought a long time ago....

Again, thanks for the help Andre! Let me know if you need any more info!

Its a Lite-on LH-20A1H

Model Number: LH-20A1H186C

Manufactured date: Jan 2007

Let me know if you need any more info!

ok, this is what I want to know. So if other user have they can find it here. But I don't unerstand why a ATAPI/IDE drive is the cause of slow loading when you enable SATA3.

Edited by MagicAndre1981