Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi, you have the same issue like the user supjack.

<interval name="ZeroHiberFile" startTime="17352" endTime="140686" duration="123333" /> 

I don't know why Windows overrides the hibernation file with 0. This takes some time (123 seconds) for your 4GB hibernation file.

I'll be calling and paying for MS support to look this into today. One thing I did notice about this is that the issue creeps up after adding the PC to the domain. However once you add the PC to the domain MS will not help resolve anything without agreeing to pay a per incident fee or having an business support contract, free installation support is available for the OS as long as the OS has not been setup as a member of a domain.

MS paid support will not help fix until we upgrade the domain controller. They went through everything I did all over again to confirm that the issue is after adding the PC to the domain. Its not third party software or user tweaks after the install. Something with the add of the PC to the domain makes a change in the PC so that it now looks for a hybernation.sys file which does not exist so it just sits and spins. The over all feeling that I got as a result of the time spent with MS support was that once they had a BAILOUT they took it. I my gut tells me that an upper level tech more or less told the person I was working directly with that its a $$ loser support call due to the need to get deeper into things and to just dump it and move on over to another support request in the queue.........being that Win 2000 is no longer supported thats the BAILOUT. I doubt its an issue with Win 2000 because we have a couple of physical and virtual Win 7's working on the domain.

Yes for now we have a Win 2000 domain. We have a couple of Win 7 boxes running without this problem. Trying to move to Win 2008 SBS but we have issues with the changes MS made with how things work with Unix. Were not using a sophisticated file sharing setup here, or a sophisticated active directory. It used to be that we could just use simple mapping via the services for Unix application to allow a couple of accounts on the Unix system to put files out on the shared drives. MS has changed things in that it now requires a more detailed and in depth server configuration and network setup to play nice with Unix. I'm going to try and just muck with the system on my own today to see if I can figure out why after adding to the domain that the system changes with regards to hibernation. I'm thinking that I may use a sysinternals utility to watch what gets changed on the machine when added to the domain. I have confirmed that I can remove it from the domain and the shut down issue goes away, and then comes back again after again adding it.

Edited by supjack

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the WinLogon Init phase takes too long:

RequestCredentials takes too long:

start: 23.331936128

stop: 644.723953709

Do you wait to long to enter the password?

The sign in screen does not come up until after you let it hibernate.

It is a black screen with a mouse arrow you can move around.

After 30 minutes of idling it hibernates. Once move mouse after that, the login screen comes up with the 4 user icons to choose from.

I received a critical error message saying my driver is causing windows to resume from standby to slowly. I have uploaded a 7zip file to my skydrive account. It contains the 2 error reports from the windows diagnostic program along with the boot, shutdown, standby, and hibernate logs. I went to my OEM Dell to get an updated driver and from what I found I have the most current one. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this one out before I came upon your guide here. It impressed me so I have decided to join the site because if the help is all like yours the site is by far one of the best.

Thankfully,

Jeremy

P.S. Here is the link to access the files on my skydrive account: https://cid-1fea2dcab93c5516.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=1FEA2DCAB93C5516!1397&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink&authkey=tcQuF0sZ0Kc%24

You should make a complete dump when it's black and upload it and ask cluberti if he can look at it.

what do i need to do exactly to do this?

EDIT: OK I am following this...

installing net framework 4 and then debugging tools....

I basically will do that right cntrl + scroll twice when its at the black screen at bootup?

Edited by Prodeje79