Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

I have just installed Windows 7 (64 bit) on a PC that had been running XP (32 bit). As such, it is a clean install of Windows 7 onto a new SSD bought for that purpose. All current critical updates are installed. All optional hardware updates are installed.

Here are some of the specifics for the hardware installed:

System Model EP45-UD3R

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, 2133 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F12, 1/25/2010

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

CD-ROM Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA

DeviceDisplay ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series

Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x9598), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver Version 8.732.0.0

Audio & Ethernet is provided by the motherboard.

The BIOS, motherboard drivers and video card drivers are the latest available.

Under XP, the system would hibernate and/or standby and resume without problem.

Under Windows 7, the machine is setup for hybrid sleep and it will "go to sleep" (power down to S3 state) OK but when it reawakens, it will not do anything useful. Some of the taskbar icons (like the action center) will produce information-only popup windows but none of the other toolbar icons (like the "pearl" or Internet Explorer) cause anything to happen other than a spinning cursor.

If I have the task manager open and showing the Performance tab strip charts when the system is put to sleep, when the system is reawaken, it will still appear and the strip charts will still run until I start clicking around on things with the mouse, at which point the strip charts will freeze.

If the cursor is left to spin long enough (3 or 4 minutes), the screen will go black and only the cursor arrow will be left. A reboot of the PC at this point will retrieve the hibernation settings saved when the PC was put to "sleep" and after those settings are loaded the machine will be fully functional and in the same state it was in when it was put to sleep.

At this point, nothing other than what comes on the Windows 7 installation DVD and from Microsoft update is installed on the machine.

I've tried the extremes of the sleep-related power settings for the PCI-bus, processor and USB and those did not make any difference. Standby-only (no hybrid) works the same except the resume after reboot does not work.

I have run the Windows 7 provided extended memory diagnosis for a half-dozen cycles and those did not find any problems. The Windows 7 60-second diagnostic does not find any problem.

I found this discussion and setup to get a trace of what was happening when the system resumed from standby and everything went according to the script (Command used = xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP) until the system actually resumed running after S3 and a window popped up that said "Changing power state..." which lingered for about 4 minutes until I decided that the power state was never going to change (the network stauts icon in the taskbar area had a red X over it which is another symptom of this standby-hang state) and I pressed the reboot button. The system then restarted from the hibernation settings and the xboot log file ricked up from there and showed a normal completion of the process.

What else might I do to diagnose & fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Warren

are you using the latest BIOS? Reset the BIOS settings. Also make sure, you're using the latest drivers.

As I said in the original post "The BIOS, motherboard drivers and video card drivers are the latest available".

Just as an update, I just tied the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and it too has this same problem on this hardware, again with all the latest drivers (as of an hour ago) for the chipset, on-board audio & LAN and ATI video card.

The SSD is a OCZSSD2-1VTXLE100G. It sure seems compatible with the motherboard since absolutely all disk-related aspects of the system are operating perfectly. It is running in IDE mode so that I can still boot to and use the XP SATA HDD while I get the Win7 bugs ironed out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with Windows 7 Ultimate hanging at shutdown.

It only started happening about a month ago.

I have done everything suggested in this thread.

Now, what do I do?

I have 2 files:

shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl

xbootmgr.log

PS: I had to shutdown Windows 7 illegally as I have a shutdown issue.

Hi, create a new zip file and include the shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl. This will reduce the size. Do you have a LiveID? If yes, upload the zip to your public Skyrive folder (http://skydrive.live.com/). If not, upload the zip to Rapidshare.com and post the link hiere.

OK. It is done. It is in my Public SkyDrive folder.

I have never used SkyDrive before.

What information do you need to access it?

Hi, your Windows needs 11s to shutdown. You have notepad.exe open which takes 4s to close and I can see that the WindowsUpdate service is unresponsive.

I don't usually have notepad.exe open.

I probably had the command copied to it, but it is not usually open at shutdown.

Why would WindowsUpdate service be unresponsive?

I did notice one thing by zooming in close on the processes running from about 2 seconds into the trace to the EndShell notification for session 1 (this is where the bulk of the time is - from end shell to the end of the trace is only about 3 seconds). What I noticed is that only 4 processes sustain throughout, with one of them being one I expected to shut down much quicker - the 4 processes are LogonUI.exe, dwm.exe, explorer.exe, and taskhost.exe. It's not abnormal for these to be running, but for them to stick around for so long with no other obvious disk or memory I/O, no other process, driver, or even generic events, leads me to believe one of these 4 might be a problem. I noticed that the nvidia driver unloaded at around 4.5 seconds, and the nvsvc.exe process stopped at ~6 seconds, so I doubt it's dwm. LogonUI will exist until you are completely logged out, so that's likely out as well. explorer.exe still being around for the bulk of it is also pretty normal, so something is keeping the shell open for what appears to be all but 3 seconds of the entire trace of what I'm guessing is a problem to close down your logon session. I doubt it's notepad, and the Windows Update service being unresponsive isn't exactly abnormal anyway (it's supposed to be handled by services.exe, not during shell shutdown - it hasn't even been asked to stop yet, likely).

I actually think it's possible that you might be hitting a variant of this. I've never seen it on an English-language install before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen :) - I see that taskhost.exe is indeed still running MsCtfMonitor::ThreadProc while the ShutdownTasksThreadProc is running, so.... it's possible that this is it.