Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

• 2 weeks later...

so, first the enumeration of IDE devices takes over 5s:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="17" endTime="5113" duration="5096">  <pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+bff9540+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="223" endTime="2730" duration="2507" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />   <pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+bff9540+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="223" endTime="2730" duration="2507" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" /> 

But the longest delay is the WinLogonInit phase:

<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="8880" endTime="37095" duration="28215">

Here I can see that restoring the network connections is slow:

networkconnections.png

This is the main cause of the boot delay. Only connect the network drives on demand with

net use X: \\server\share /persistent:no

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your time and expertise. Yes, I have mapped several network drives to the home server, connected via Gigabit and set to "reconnect". I use these drives regularly for work and entertainment so it is not convenient to re-map them each time they are required. Is there any other way to make this more efficient, some form of Delayed Start perhaps? For most of the time I don't need the drives immediately after logging on.

Hmmm an idea is you can use a scheduled task to map the drive using the /persistant:no option. When creating a task with an "at startup" or "at logon" trigger you have an option to delay the task from executing

See here for more on triggers:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748841.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• 4 weeks later...

MagicAndre,  thanks a ton for this tutorial. I have been having issues with the delay in boot right after windows splash, before the login screen, lastas apporx 45 secs.  I have an ssd so this is bothersom for me.  it ha sonly recently started.   Using your tutorial I think I was able to trace the issue to the winlogininit section and specifcally the rpcss service,   Howver, I am unable to get my graph layout to the easy to read one you show with your screen shots. I like the layout of those.   Could you take alook at my xml and etl file and tell me what you think?   I can post  here or pm it to you.   Thanks again.

WaitForLSM is slow (caused by the slow RpcSs start).

Try this hotfix:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2661001

If you still have the issue, run this command, here I capture wait data:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+LATENCY+DISK_IO_INIT+DISPATCHER+FILE_IO+FILENAME+POWER -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread+DiskReadInit+DiskWriteInit  -resultPath C:\TEMP

Also please compress the ETL file as 7z/RAR to reduce the size.

Applied the hotfix and after the prompted reboot it looked p[romising, however, after a subsequent reboot, the issue still persists.

I have sent you the 2nd compressed ETL file.

I can see the 40s delay in the Wait data. rpcrt4.dll!Invoke calls sspisrv.dll!SspirLogonUser and later lsasrv.dll!NegLogonUserEx2 and wait for a response of lsass.exe.

wait_1.png

The lsass.exe checks some registry keys if you have the system configured to automatically logon with a username/password (authui.dll!CAutoLogon::IsAutoLogonMode, authui.dll!CAutoLogon::GetAutoLogonCredential, kernel32.dll!RegCreateKeyExW).

wait_2.png

wait_3.png

Do you have this configured? If yes, disable it and enter your password on its own. Is it faster now?

I did have autologin enabled but the delay is the same with it turned off, I sent you another etl with autologin turned off

Its pretty much 45 seconds from when 'Starting windows' disappears to when the login screen shows up.

w7 is on a SSD.

still the same. I need to capture registry information to see more details:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+LATENCY+DISPATCHER+POWER+REGISTRY+REG_HIVE -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread+RegQueryKey+RegEnumerateKey+RegEnumerateValueKey+RegDeleteKey+RegCreateKey+RegOpenKey+RegSetValue+RegDeleteValue+RegQueryValue+RegCloseKey  -resultPath C:\TEMP