Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

• 2 weeks later...

reading the hibernation file is the cause of the slowdown:

hiberread="440503000"

440s is too long. You use an old 40GB HDD (SEAGATE ST340014A 40.0GB), maybe the drive is now at is end of lifetime. Install Windows to a different HDD.

• 5 weeks later...

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

did cause my PC to BSOD on boot and rebooting it gave me the options of Startup Repair or Boot Normally and the latter caused it to show the Windows boot animation and then reboot again. The next time, I pressed F8 and selected Last Known Good Configuration and it booted OK. I understand Windows creates this backup on each successful boot, so it would be identical to the previous working boot and won't result in any loss of settings, so this is probably a better, quicker option than using System Restore.

When using the xbootmgr command, where does it set it and is it wiped on the next successful boot, so that it will no longer be in effect if I reboot now? Otherwise I'd better remove it manually. Using the Last Known Good boot, xbootmgr did still run once Windows had loaded but then gave an error once the countdown had finished, no doubt because whatever it had set was not included in the Last Known Good configuration.

Edited by doveman

as I wrote in the first post the DRIVERS flag can cause a BSOD, but MS refuses to fix it.

To cancel logging run xbootmgr -remove.

Thanks.

Yeah I saw your warning but thought I'd try it anyway to see if it worked on my system ;)

One thing that was lost by using Last Known Good is that the path to xbootmgr isn't included in the Path variable but that's easy enough to fix and would be lost (along with more, most likely) by using System Restore anyway.

OK, I've done the procedure described here but I don't think it's helped, as my boot time before was 104s and after 107s (although that's close enough to say it's not changed).

I've done a boot trace and uploaded it here if you could take a look for me https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89phEESNFk0V2hyeGh3cXM/edit?usp=sharing

I also made a summary_end.xml as described in that other post and have attached it in case it's easy to analyse than the .etl. From that, I can see that bootDoneViaExplorer="22711" and bootDoneViaPostBoot="108311" so the problem seems to be somewhere after Windows has booted to the desktop but the rest of the xml is rather confusing to me.

02_summary_end.xml

Edited by doveman

the first delays happen at the first boot stage. Windows hangs several seconds while the attached drives are enumerated:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="42" endTime="7951" duration="7909">
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\5+1270fc08+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="2893" endTime="6407" duration="3514" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\5+1270fc08+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="2894" endTime="6407" duration="3513" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+223a9b9c+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="258" endTime="2766" duration="2508" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+223a9b9c+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="259" endTime="2766" duration="2507" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />

look at the duration of 2.5 - 2.5s.

The next delay happens while starting this service:

<serviceTransition name="MPExtended Service" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="40516" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="20927" processingTimeDelta="19589" container="MPExtended.ServiceHosts.CoreService.exe (480)" startedAt="24492" firstCheckpointedAt="45419" endedAt="65008" />

What is this MPExtended Service? Also MySQL and TVService are slow to start.

Yes, the largest delay happens when Windows loads all startup tools.

But I can see that the HDD is the bootleneck. Look at the disk graph and you see that the disk is busy. The Queue Depth is 149!!!!!!!!!! at the Init of some disk operations. Try a different AV tool, Avast seams to hit the disk very hard.

You should buy a SSD to fix the HDD bottleneck if you see the disk activity with other AV tools, too.

the first delays happen at the first boot stage. Windows hangs several seconds while the attached drives are enumerated:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="42" endTime="7951" duration="7909">
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\5+1270fc08+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="2893" endTime="6407" duration="3514" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\5+1270fc08+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="2894" endTime="6407" duration="3513" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+223a9b9c+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="258" endTime="2766" duration="2508" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />
<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+223a9b9c+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="259" endTime="2766" duration="2507" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />

look at the duration of 2.5 - 2.5s.

Thanks for that.

The drives is weird as I only have a single SATA HDD attached to the AHCI controller, so I'm not sure why it's enumerating the empty IDE channels. I think there should only be two of those anyway as there's only a single IDE port, so Master and Slave.

TVService and MySQL are used for MediaPortal (and MySQL also for my XBMC database) and are essential unfortunately and MPExtended Service is used to provide Browser/Internet access to the MediaPortal media files catalog/TV Guide so I need that as well but will ask if any of these can possibly be made faster to load.

I'll try uninstalling Avast and redo the trace and then try with Avira AntiVir, which is the only other decent free antivirus I'm aware of (Avast is probably better in terms of fewer false positives but not worth it if it's going to cause other problems).