Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi--thank you for your reply.

As you suggested, I uninstalled the Symantec, and then restarted the laptop. It did not stop the boot-loop, but it is *better*. The boot-loop does not seem to take as long to reboot, but it still does loop. Might you have another suggestion?

Also, I took a short video of the boot-loop on my crappy digital camera. I uploaded it to Dropbox. I will PM you the link. That way, you can see what I am dealing with if that helps.

Thank you again for your help. Things are getting better!

:thumbup

Hi,

I'm fairly new here and would like to learn diagnosing windows boot time. I understood most of what you've written (very well written, by the way) and would just like someone to confirm of what I think is the cause here.

I'm having a slow time in PreSMSS which is 29327. I don't what is the normal value of it but it boots a lot slower than before.

I've look in the .xml file and found that: HID\VID_1BCF+PID_000A+Col01\6+3a19b3c5+0+0000 which is HID-compliant mouse is the cluprit but may also be others.

Please check for any other anomalies that it may contain.

Thank you for the guide, help and especially time.

BOOT .ETL

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your help. Very useful.

If it is a hardware issue, might you (or anyone else reading this) have a suggestion of somewhere else on the web that I can go to post this problem? I would prefer to do the work myself, since I am a student, which means I have limited money and time to work with. I would like to avoid taking this laptop in for repair, since it will tax my already small budget.

And I would second AlexCeed's point about the clarify of writing here. It is very good. That was one reason I posted here first--quality!

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

HID\VID_1BCF+PID_000A+Col01 = your uSB mouse

I check the file, but the LiteOn CD/DVD drive is the cause:

- <phase name="systemStart" startTime="4447" endTime="22933" duration="18486">
<pnpObject name="cdrom" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4448" endTime="22877" duration="18428" prePendTime="18428" />

this takes 18s. Do you use the Windows driver or a drive from LiteOn.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

I have a dvd write Lite-On but I'm using windows default drivers for it (ie haven't installed any 3rd party utils from liteon).

I've installed a driver for my usb mouse that changed the polling rate above it's limit. For this I also have enabled Test Mode and it seems that this was the culprit. I have disabled it now and PreSMSS is 13 seconds. Is this normal?

loading the CDRom driver still takes over 8s and this still causes the slowdown :

- <phase name="systemStart" startTime="4587" endTime="13232" duration="8644">
<pnpObject name="cdrom" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4588" endTime="13173" duration="8584" prePendTime="8584" />
</phase>

Could the cause be daemon tools? I have one device loaded.

If it's my lite-on writer I don't know what to do with it. It shows no signs of usage (no sounds, lights nothing) in the booting procedures.

//LE:

New test with daemon tools devices removed:

- - <phase name="systemStart" startTime="4319" endTime="7672" duration="3353">
[b] <pnpObject name="mssmbios" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="6321" endTime="7560" duration="1239" prePendTime="1239" /> [/b]
[b] <pnpObject name="rdbss" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5246" endTime="6155" duration="909" prePendTime="909" /> [/b]
<pnpObject name="cdrom" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4320" endTime="4732" duration="411" prePendTime="411" />
<pnpObject name="Null" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4732" endTime="5075" duration="342" prePendTime="342" />
<pnpObject name="nsiproxy" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="6155" endTime="6321" duration="165" prePendTime="165" />
<pnpObject name="CSC" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="7584" endTime="7636" duration="51" prePendTime="51" />
<pnpObject name="VgaSave" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5076" endTime="5117" duration="41" prePendTime="41" />
<pnpObject name="AFD" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5148" endTime="5178" duration="30" prePendTime="30" />
<pnpObject name="blbdrive" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="7644" endTime="7672" duration="28" prePendTime="28" />
<pnpObject name="discache" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="7560" endTime="7584" duration="24" prePendTime="24" />
<pnpObject name="TermDD" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5230" endTime="5246" duration="15" prePendTime="15" />
<pnpObject name="ws2ifsl" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5182" endTime="5197" duration="15" prePendTime="15" />
<pnpObject name="NetBIOS" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5200" endTime="5214" duration="14" prePendTime="14" />
<pnpObject name="RDPREFMP" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5121" endTime="5135" duration="14" prePendTime="14" />
<pnpObject name="Wanarpv6" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="5216" endTime="5230" duration="13" prePendTime="13" />

Thanks for your help so far. Any ideas on what to do next?

Edited by AlexCeed

<pnpObject name="mssmbios" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="6321" endTime="7560" duration="1239" prePendTime="1239" />

Any idea as to what this does? It's the only one that takes up this amount of time to load.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andre,

I have a problem with my windows 7 64 bit shut down. It took 10~20 minutes for it to shut down.

I have tried a clean boot but the problem is still there. So i try to trace the issues with the method shows here.

I successful trace the shut down with "xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP"

But i cant continue the analysis with this command "xperf /tti -i shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_shutdown.xml -a shutdown"

when i type this in command prompt, is shows "xperf: error: shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl: The Specified path is invvalid. <0x800700a1>"

Here is my shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1 and xbootmgr.log zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/1642021596/shutdown%20problem.zip

I also provide you my normal and safemode bootlog for reference....

http://rapidshare.com/files/2171301341/normalbootlog.txt

http://rapidshare.com/files/2564884532/safe%20mode%20bootlog.txt

Please help me with this..

Thankyou

Seong.

Edited by kise01