Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

your slow Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 is the cause of the terrible slow boot. it runs in Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 and not in Ultra DMA. Try to enable AHCI in the BIOS. Also try a different cable, maybe yours has issues which causes the fallback to multiword DMA

I enabled AHCI in BIOS, the hard drive is now running in the UltraDMA-6. Unfortunatly, the Windows still is booting slowly. I even installed AHCI drivers from amd website. Tomorrow I will check with another SATA cable.

Checked SMART and HDTune says it is correct. Screenshot of Benchmark:

hdtuney.png

When I launched xbootmgr again, the first boot is begins faster. The PreSMSS and SMSSInit is fast, but next phases are slower. I don't know maybe it is normal. The next boots lasts about 2-3minutes.

I uploaded both etl logs: first boot, after launching xbootmgr and after preparation and 6 restarts. Only CSWITCH+BASE, because DRIVERS causes BSOD :/.

http://sdrv.ms/VN85ZT

What do you think about it? Could it be connected with some kind of driver, or it is a hardware problem? When Windows is booting I see something like this:

- "System is starting", no logo, hard drive working

- Logo shows after 10seconds. hard drive stops reading/writing for a sec, and resumes

- After 20s I see "Wait", and in 5s it changes to "Welcome", next 10s and the desktop is shown.

It is booting like this for over 2-3months, so I thought it has to be like this :P

Edited by shder

the HDD is still busy all the time. remember you have a green HDD, which is extremely slow (look at the access time, not the linear transfer speed) and should be only used for storing data.

Also, the AMD Fuel and the File Sharing Service (Lanmanager) take some time to start.

I have a problem during shutdown, about 1/3 of the times the computer just goes to the "windows is shutting down" screen and sits there forever. It never shuts down.

I did a trace (let it sit there for a minute or something before shutting it down with the power button) and have attached the result.

If i interpret this correctly, the computer believes that it actually shutdown in about 10sec but that isn't correct :o

There is something odd with vsmon.exe but I know this isn't the cause of the problem since that is a process from zonealarm which I installed after this started happening (since I thought my precious firewall might be the cause).... I can't be 100% sure though.

summary_shutdown.xml

Edited by Jellygoose

Hello, reading through this thread i believe i found place where can i get some help or info at least.

I ran into strange issue: on new and freshly installed and updated machines (win7pro64sp1) after first reboot and joining domain the pc's start to have problem with really slow shutting down,and logging off.

Sometimes it shuts down immediately, but in most cases it takes 5 or even 10 minutes. Clearing page file was disabled and wait to kill service set to 2000, but no effect, machine hardware vary but all have ivy bridge cpu i3/i5, 120GB ssd drive and 8GB of 1600 Mhz RAM. I looked in event viewer and noticed number of events 6005 stating that:The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking long time to handle the notification event (EndShell), and 6006: The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 524 second(s) to handle the notification event (End Shell). I did:xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+DRIVERS+CSWITCH+POWER -resultPath c:\shutdowntraceand:xperf /tti -i shutdown9.etl -o shutdown9_info.xml -a shutdown.

I spent two days trying to figure out, but no succes...so, please help,i need some magic.

Edited by hUe9

Hello and thanks for fast reply

actualy pasword policies (Enforce password history 24 days, max age 365, min age 0,min lenght 7chars) and audit policy (audit account management succes/failure, audit logon events succes/failure, audit system events succes/failure) are aplied localy, no GPO from server i uploaded few traces to http://fbe.am/hGQ they are in.xml and compressed, i can uploadt .etl files if needed, pwd via PM.

Edited by hUe9

I did nothing, it seems to be "random".. yesterday i tried to clone system to 80GB seagate baracuda, and now system is slower to boot, but shutdown/logoff is normal, around 15s. It have to be something with taht ssd.. but is new and 100% healthy, this one is KINGSTON SH103S3120G, but we have same problem with machines with INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3... its realy annoying because we want to buy all new machines with ssd.

EDIT: removing gpsvc from HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control PreshutdownOrder fixed this problem, when later aded back, system still loging off fast, but on other sysytem with almost same specs this did not help

Edited by hUe9

Hi,

I am new to this forum and would *greatly* appreciate some help. I hope this is the correct place to post. I apologize in advance if it is not.

I am having some terrible problems with coming out of hibernate/standby. When I try to do so, the laptop gets stuck in a boot loop. It then take a few minutes in that loop before it finally starts normally-sometime. Othertimes I have tp unplug the computer, remove the battery, wait 20 minutes and the hold down the power button. Sometimes that shortens the boot-loop period to only a minute or two. Windows 7 "Performance event" Event Log states that I have numerous Event 300, 301, 302 warning and errors, a few of them which are "critical."

All of this started some time last November. Not sure what changed, but I have searched and searched for answers, but no luck. I am at the limit of my own technical knowledge.

Here is roughly what I have tried:

**I have disabled standby.

**I have updated my BIOS.

**I think I have problems with the display adapters (ATI Radeon HD 3200), which required that I install the CCC drivers and programs. This may be a source of the problem?

**I have no malware that I know of. I use Symantec Endpoint Protection and run scans at least weekly. I also enable (and disable when done) the PC Tool "Spyware Doctor" and Spybot S&D to run those weekly also. I think I am clean.

Having followed Andre's genius here a few times, I did run a few traces. The Shutdown Trace and the Standby Trace worked (and I eliminated "+DRIVERS" from the command function, since that caused the BSOD). I also tried to run the Hibernate trace, but when I did that, a black box with orange or red writing flashed on the screen quickly before disappearing. I think that was the CMD box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Two quick things:

**I cannot upload the Zip files, since they are too large. Any suggestions?

**Is there other information that might be needed?

Again, sorry if I am posting in the wrong area.

Thank you. :)

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I sent a PM to you with a link. If you did not get it, please let me know and I will try again.

Also, I ran into the boot-loop problems this morning when starting up the computer again (apparently the missus 'hibernated' the laptop before going to bed last night). The Event Viewer reported this morning errors for Event ID 351 (five of them) for the "Device Name: ACPI\PNP0C32\1" (and also \2, \3, \4, and \5 for the last character in that ACPI string).

Thank you again. I appreciate it.