Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Run the xbootmgr command and try to follow the steps.

If this is too complicated, compress the ETl as 7z or RAR and upload it to Dropbox and post the link here.

I've sent a PM with a link to you.

I have been checking the etl but I cant figure out why it is taking so long to boot. Also I couldnt put DRIVERS in the command because I got blue screen...

Thanks for looking into it!

Edited by robe

the trace doesn't include all data. The services.exe causes a high CPU usage and I need the callstack data. Disable Paging Executive first:

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" -v DisablePagingExecutive -d 0x1 -t REG_DWORD -f 

reboot and next run this command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -stackwalk profile

and upload the trace.

the trace doesn't include all data. The services.exe causes a high CPU usage and I need the callstack data. Disable Paging Executive first:

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" -v DisablePagingExecutive -d 0x1 -t REG_DWORD -f 

reboot and next run this command:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -stackwalk profile

and upload the trace.

I tried the commands but I got a blue screen, said something about USB drivers.

After restarting the laptop it booted up with latest working config.

Tried it again without DRIVERS in the command. Sent you a PM with the link to the new boot trace.

Edited by robe

the new trace doesn't show the high CPU usage of services.exe for such a long time, only some smal spikes :wacko:

The high CPu usage spikes show reguistry issus:

ntkrnlmp.exe!NtInitializeRegistry and later ntkrnlmp.exe!CmpSaveBootControlSet caus the high CPU usage. So Windows hangs while scanning the registry keys.

According to it, it boots in45s to the desktop and is fully booted in 98s.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="45570" bootDoneViaPostBoot="108170" osLoaderDuration="3227" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="52600"

Here I can see that the Avast, the Atheros and the Windows Image Acquisition service cause delays:

post-70718-0-00287800-1346424895_thumb.p

The Windows Image Acquisition service hang maybe caused by your Logitech USB Camera (HD Webcam C270), so disable the webcam and enable it only if you need it).

The largest delay is the amount of tools you run at startup. Use AutoRuns to disable useless tools.

Yeah, I saw that the big spike wasn't there now, weird. Makes me wonder if my system is unstable is some way? :blink:

What can I do about the registry issues? (ntkrnlmp.exe)

I'll check through startup tools in Autoruns, you've got any idea which ones is worth keeping except Avast AV?

But now I'm more concerned if there's anything wrong with my system.

Is it enough just to unplug the webcam to make Windows Image Acquisition service work ok? Or should I put the service on delayed start?

Edited by robe

• 2 weeks later...

My computer is taking over 2 minutes to shutdown.

Sadly every time I try and trace I get this:

[2012/09/15-21:05:15.810] Registering for auto-run with a 120000 msec delay...
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.814] Completed auto-run change.
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.814] Registering for auto-run with a 1 msec delay...
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.814] Completed auto-run change.
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.826] Starting trace...
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.875] Couldn't start tracing session to 'C:\TEMP\shutdown_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1_km_premerge.etl' (0x000000b7).
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.876] Unable to start trace.
[2012/09/15-21:05:15.876] Stopping trace...
[2012/09/15-21:05:16.240] Stopped kernel logger.
[2012/09/15-21:05:16.240] Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list.
[2012/09/15-21:05:16.240] Unregistering auto-run...
[2012/09/15-21:05:16.240] Completed auto-run change.

OK, this 1 worked: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177443-gathering-startup-shutdown-sleep-hibernate-reboot-trace.html after I did:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

My shutdown trace: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-4fc37a1d.html

Edited by war59312

OK, I figured out my issue.

The issue is http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk which seems to have a bug.

My small 1GB RAM drive should be saving to my super fast SSD in a few seconds which it seems to be doing but the driver is taking too long to exit which causes shutdown to hang for 2+ minutes. :(

Going to see if there new version 4 makes any difference.