Run Windows 7 XP Mode even if your CPU doesn't have support for VT

MagicAndre1981

If you have a CPU (or not enabled in BIOS) with has no support for Intel VT-x and AMD-V technologies you can't use the new Microsoft Virtual PC to run the XP Mode.

The program VMLite Workstation makes it possible:

VMLite XP Mode offers similar functions as Microsoft Windows XP Mode, but doesn't require hardware virtualization. It allows you to run Windows XP at the same time from your desktop running on a different host operating system.

Even if your computer has VT-x or AMD-V, you should try out VMLite, because it runs faster, and will support 3D/2D acceleration in our next build.

VMLite XP Mode is a special feature offered from VMLite Workstation. It provides similar functions as Microsoft's Windows XP Mode. VMLite XP Mode allows you to quickly create a Windows XP virtual machine from special sources without going through installation steps from an OS CD.

When Windows Vista was released, people were surprised that many of their older Windows XP applications did not work. Same thing could happen for Windows 7.

VMLite XP Mode creates a virtual Windows XP environment in Windows 7 so that you can run your older applications. Through seamless integration, you can install such applications and invoke them directly from Windows 7 Startup Menu!

Microsoft realized the problem and created a similar solution ---- Microsoft XP Mode. But their solution has strict hardware requirement, and does not run on a lot of common hardware configurations. It also requires Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

VMLite XP Mode runs like Microsoft?s XP mode, but does not require virtualization support from hardware (it takes advantage of Intel VT-x or AMD-V if available). Neither does it require advanced Windows 7 options.

Here is a picture of the tool running XP Mode on Vista Sp2:

post-70718-1260236175_thumb.png

The tool is based on the Open Source Edition of VirtualBox.

To download it, register on the homepage:

http://www.vmlite.com/

Edited by MagicAndre1981

That's not really surprising. Without VT-x or AMD-V (mind you, AMD doesn't turn stuff like this off unlike Intel) you can still run 32 bit OS'es under vmware and various others. Mostly everything but Win7's XP compat mode. You could do something similar with the vmware player and various other apps. The main difference here, is that when you use Win7's XP compat mode, it already comes with the XP license to run inside the VM. If you use something else, then you need a separate XP license just for that.

Where it really sucks, and where there are no other options besides buying a new non-crippled, expensive-ish CPU (which sucks a lot if you still have a socket 775 mobo i.e. most people still), is when you want to run 64 bit OS'es in VMs :( Running the x86 version of Win2008 R2 seems kind of silly.

Edit:

but with this tool, you can use the XP Mode from MS (WindowsXPMode_de-de.exe) and have the features like startmenu integration, which are not offered by any other VM tool (except Microsoft Virtual PC) right now.

Cool. I had missed that. However, I definitely cannot use the de-de version :lol:

@CoffeeFiend

:lol: so it's time for you to learn german :lol:

@cluberti

yeah, they have issues with the Yahoo DNS server:

http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/forums/9-v...veral-hours#285

Due to Yahoo DNS problems, our website has been acting very weird last couple of days. Sometimes, it's not accessible; other times, it may go to a totally different site.
Edited by MagicAndre1981

Hello!

Where it really sucks, and where there are no other options besides buying a new non-crippled, expensive-ish CPU (which sucks a lot if you still have a socket 775 mobo i.e. most people still), is when you want to run 64 bit OS'es in VMs :( Running the x86 version of Win2008 R2 seems kind of silly.

Cheap Pentium Dual Core E6500, E6300 and Celeron E3300 all have VT:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pe...-core/specs.htm

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42771

BTW, there is no Windows 2008 R2 x86 ...

Cheers, Roman

Cheap Pentium Dual Core E6500, E6300 and Celeron E3300 all have VT

And are all slower than my existing CPU. The E6500 would be about $130 CAD taxes in and shipped, that's a bit much for something that would make my computer slower.

Anything with VT that's any faster than what I got starts at $200 with taxes, at which point I might as well bite the bullet and get an i5 instead or go with AMD instead.

Don't know about Canadian prices, but the Intel Core2 Quads can be had for well under $200 USD, retail boxed.

As for running a virtual machine, you don't need a CPU with virtualization tech at all. That BS is nothing more than MS propaganda. Yes, a VM will run better with virtualization tech, but it's not necessary.

I used Virtual PC, VMWare, and VirtualBox for several years on a Pentium 4 Northwood at stock speed (2.4ghz), 2 gigs ram and 32 bit XP Pro as host OS. VirtualBox ran the best of the three, but they all worked fine.

I still use VBox on my current Q6600 rig with 6 gigs ram and Win7 Home Premium.

Edited by SyntaxError

Don't know about Canadian prices, but the Intel Core2 Quads can be had for well under $200 USD, retail boxed.

Which Intel quad? Because LOADS of them don't have VT. If I look at what's in stock at my usual place (ncix), under $200, there's only the Q8200, and that doesn't have VT (newegg doesn't have anything else to offer either). The Q8400 does, but it's $201.65 + taxes + shipping (so more like $230)

I'm just not dropping 90% of the price of a i5 750 on a chip that's more like 3/4 the speed (less bang for the buck). I might as well sell my existing CPU/RAM/Mobo too, and get a i5 instead as it would basically cost the same. Then again, AMD has a decent quad with AMD-V for $100...

As for running a virtual machine, you don't need a CPU with virtualization tech at all

You do, if you want to run a x64 guest OS. Also, your Q6600 has VT.

Which Intel quad? Because LOADS of them don't have VT. If I look at what's in stock at my usual place (ncix), under $200, there's only the Q8200, and that doesn't have VT (newegg doesn't have anything else to offer either). The Q8400 does, but it's $201.65 + taxes + shipping (so more like $230)

I'm just not dropping 90% of the price of a i5 750 on a chip that's more like 3/4 the speed (less bang for the buck). I might as well sell my existing CPU/RAM/Mobo too, and get a i5 instead as it would basically cost the same. Then again, AMD has a decent quad with AMD-V for $100...

As for running a virtual machine, you don't need a CPU with virtualization tech at all

You do, if you want to run a x64 guest OS. Also, your Q6600 has VT.

I know my Q6600 has VT, never said it didn't.

And if you look around, I'm sure you can get the Q6600, retail boxed, for under $200 new. Newegg had them this past summer for around $185 and it wasn't a sale price. I wasn't aware they no longer carry it.

Though if the massive price hike of ram is any indication, that sub-$200 cpu price may not be around anymore. Wait till just after Xmas, when prices normally drop.

TigerDirect currently has the Q6700 in OEM packaging for $199, and the Q9400 retail box for $180, both have VT.

ChiefValue.com, which is a Newegg company and does ship to Canada, has the Q9400 retail box for $190 and the Q6600 OEM and retail box both for $200. Though they are currently out of stock on both.

Of course these prices are USD, I'm sure they would be a little higher in Canadian dollars.

Like I said, you just have to look around.

Edited by SyntaxError

Hello!

Cheap Pentium Dual Core E6500, E6300 and Celeron E3300 all have VT

And are all slower than my existing CPU

---

OK, you have a point ... BTW, does your mobo support VT-d:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/2181

Maybe OT, but if you are going to replace computer, you could add VT-c gigabit ethernet adapter: :)

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/...=PCI%20Express*

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009...r-connectivity/

bite the bullet and get an i5 instead or go with AMD instead.

---

I might as well sell my existing CPU/RAM/Mobo too, and get a i5 instead as it would basically cost the same. Then again, AMD has a decent quad with AMD-V for $100...

I agree, AMD looks nice :)

Regards, Roman