MICROSOFT VIRTUAL PC 2007

Required Operating System:

Windows XP / 2003 / Vista / 7

32 and 64bit programs available

Runs as a guest:

Windows 98 / Me / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7

Features:

Virtualised Hardware:

32-bit Intel Pentium II processor (but virtualizes the host processor on Windows versions) with an Intel 440BX chipset.

Standard SVGA VESA graphics card (S3 Trio 32 PCI with 4 MB Video RAM, adjustable in later versions up to 16 MB).

System BIOS from American Megatrends (AMI)

Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 ISA PnP (when Vista is installed as both the host (main) and guest (virtual) Operating systems, then the need to set audio configuration is removed, as the guest (Virtual) OS automatically synchronizes the settings with the host (main) Operating System.)

DEC 21041 (DEC 21140 in newer versions) Ethernet network card.

USB is not supported. Programs which use undocumented features of hardware, exotic timings, or unsupported opcodes may not work, although overall compatibility can be considered satisfactory.

The Macintosh version of Virtual PC uses dynamic recompilation to translate the x86 code used by a standard PC into equivalent PowerPC code used by a Mac.

The Windows version of Virtual PC also uses dynamic recompilation, but only to translate kernel mode and real mode x86 code into x86 user mode code, while original user mode and virtual 8086 mode code run natively.

It also uses some guest call traps (especially when using the guest extensions) to accelerate emulation or offer additional features, such as integration with the host environment.

Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) is the file format used by Virtual PC and Virtual Server, for which Microsoft has made available all documentation under the Open Specification Promise.

Pros:

Cons:

Notes:

The system requirements for Virtual PC 2007 (a virtualization software similar to VMWare Workstation) says that the host computer must be running Windows XP Pro or the tablet edition.

You can however install Virtual PC 2007 on XP Home machine without problems though the installer will throw a warning saying "Host OS Not Supported" – ignore the error. It’s only the Microsoft will not provide support but the software will work just fine.

Even Virtual PC 2004 can be used on Windows XP Home without problems.

Edited by galahs

Windows 95/98/Me is starting to run out of hardware support. So for many, the only way to run these OS's and the software designed for it is from a 'virtual box' within newer operating systems.

Virtualisation software allows a single host computer to create and run one or more virtual environments.

Virtualisation software is most often used to emulate a complete computer system in order to allow a guest operating system to be run, for example allowing Linux to run as a guest on top of a PC that is natively running a Microsoft Windows operating system.

So what Virtualisation software have people used that has allowed you to install a virtual copy of Windows 9x within new OS's.

What Win9x OS's do the Virtualisation Software work with:

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows Me

What modern OS's do the Virtualisation Software install on:

Windows 2000

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Are they 32bit or 64bit compatible?

Do your Win9x applications work

What about Driver and Hardware support

What are your recommendations

etc etc

Lets see if through a collective effort we can make a definitive guide for users who wish to use Win9x OS's on their modern machines.

I've had good experiences running Win98SE in VirtualPC (free from Microsoft). All software I've tried to run has worked just fine, but I haven't tried anything too taxing so haven't seen performance penalties firsthand.

Queue

I've tried 95B/98SE/ME all under Virtual PC 2007 and very briefly in Windows Virtual PC

Virtual PC 2007 does not include guest additions for 95 and DOS

If you are getting errors such as Windows Protection Errors try turning off Hardware Assisted Virtualisation

Windows Virtual PC does not include guest additions for 9x at all.

Virtualbox OSE: when I installed 98SE (Hardware Assisted Virtualisation Off) it was terribly slow

QEMU: I installed 98SE in this I think a long time ago but it was a bit slow I didn't use any of the accelerators though, I think 98SE was the host as well.

Edited by awergh

Guest wsxedcrfv
Windows 95/98/Me is starting to run out of hardware support. So for many, the only way to run these OS's and the software designed for it is from a 'virtual box' within newer operating systems.

What exactly is the point of running win-9x as a virtual process?

What software is either so relevant, important or useful that can't be run on win-2K or XP but instead requires win-98?

There must be thousands, millions of old PC's circa 2003-2006 for which win-98 drivers exist for all hardware components. Surely that is a better alternative for die-hard win-9x people vs running XP for the sake of running 98.

I've tried 95B/98SE/ME all under Virtual PC 2007 and very briefly in Windows Virtual PC

Virtual PC 2007 does not include guest additions for 95 and DOS

If you are getting errors such as Windows Protection Errors try turning off Hardware Assisted Virtualisation

Windows Virtual PC does not include guest additions for 9x at all.

Uhm, NO! Not true! If you download VPC 2004 (I think it may still be available), it has an ISO within it (extract it out) that can be mounted in VPC2K7 and installed.

BTW, I think you have to -

1 - set the VPC2K7 VM as an "other" machine, i.e. manually create the VHD first

2 - then define the VMC and point to it

3 - mount the Install ISO and run it (installs fine)

4 - using the extracted VPC2K4 "add-ons ISO" install the "accelerator/sharing" stuff

Not swearing to this, but I think I already tried it.

This guy has a wealth of information regarding MS VPC.

Look here for some more specific info.

Here is every version listed for download from MS (use VPC2K4SP1).

VPC2K4 might not install on Vista/Win7/2K8 (probably not), but the tip mentioned should work with VPC2K7.

What exactly is the point of running win-9x as a virtual process?

What software is either so relevant, important or useful that can't be run on win-2K or XP but instead requires win-98?

Uhhh, not everything runs on non-Win9x systems and some folks (small mom/pop business) just can't afford to upgrade all of their software, besides the fact that the data may be in a special format only accessible in a Win9x+Apps PC. Conversion anyone?

Oh, and if this topic is meant for "What Virtualization will run on Win 9x", VPC will not, but QEMU will (as awergh stated), but it looks like it's more for "as a guest"...

HTH

Edited by submix8c

VPC 4/5.1 both ran on 98SE when I last tried it although only 4 seemed stable.

Uhm, NO! Not true! If you download VPC 2004 (I think it may still be available), it has an ISO within it (extract it out) that can be mounted in VPC2K7 and installed.

It is true but as you said you should be able to use the VPC 2004 Guest Additions to get it to work.

I don't know if VPC2004 works in 7/2008R2 but VPC2007 works as long as you change the name of the Virtual PC.exe file.

What sort of graphics do these virtualisation software support?
Google on them and look up the specs. Some use their own, including other hardware, and others use the Host hardware. Some optionally allow you to use either/or/both...

Usually virtualisation software doesn't support 3D Acceleration which is the case of VirtualPC and VMWare (except VMWare 7)

Windows VirtualPC doesn't actually support 2D Acceleration either so no chance of running games like Diablo

VirtualBox now has experimental support for DirectX3D

MICROSOFT VIRTUAL PC 2007

Required Operating System: Windows XP / 2003 / Vista / 7 - 32 and 64bit programs available

Runs as a guest: Windows 98 / Me / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 XP Home without problems.

... and VPC2k4 will run just about anything (DOS thru 2k3, including Linux, I believe). Might even install on Win2k (not sure, haven't tried). Dunno about VPC2k7 (tried it once, then uninstalled). Again, create the VHD independently, then define the VMC and point to the created VHD, boot into the OS-Install of your choice, install, and add your drivers. Refer to the specs for correct drivers. :thumbup

Hardware - VPC2k4

- ACPI (AMI)

- S3Trio 32/64 PCI (8mb), backwards compatible with MDA, CGA, EGA, and VGA

- Yes, you can load the Host Monitor INF

- Intel 82371AB/EB BMIDE Controller

- Intel DEC21140 PCI FastEnet (add LoopBack adapter, install ICS, "hook" to "real NIC", define it)

- Sound Blaster 16 redirected to Host

- Share your Host Printer (w/NIC definition) to print to Host USB printer

- Browse the Web (w/NIC definition)

- Share Host folders (w/NIC definition) w/o Shared Folders feature (a Map Drive function) "natively"

- COM1/2 Emulation redirected to Host ports

- LPT1 redirected to host LPT port

- No USB support (exception - Keyboard/Mouse via emulation)

- Note1 - although 3D support is not there, OpenGL is

- Note2 - although no Modem support, one may do the same "loopback" trick for Host Modem

Bets are up same for VPC2k7. MS bought Connectix VPC5 (circa 2002) and improved it, ya see. If you look real hard, you can find specifics.

You may as well include any/all Virtualization contributions and get this added as a General Sticky(?). It may help some poor souls in search of Free (and otherwise) software for their particular Host/Guest requirements.

Attached is Hardware-related Everest HE report (w/installed VM Additions)... Note that it incorrectly shows the memory sticks and shows USB ports (must be a "future" or a "removed" item). (err, upload limit? it's a ZIP file.)

VPC2k4_Report.zip

Edited by submix8c

?VMWare, VirtualBox, QEMU?

Awergh posted about them two already. I tried Win95 as guest OS of Virtual Box, last version, under XP and yes, it crawls with CPU at 100%, but this is stated in VBox's manual.

?VMWare, VirtualBox, QEMU?

Awergh posted about them two already.

Well, with all due respect to both you and awergh :), this:

QEMU: I installed 98SE in this I think a long time ago but it was a bit slow I didn't use any of the accelerators though, I think 98SE was the host as well.

does look a bit "vague".

QEMU, being NOT an emulator, will tendentially be slower than "pure" virtual machines, but latest versions are not that bad, mainly because real hardware has improved so much in speed.

I mean, if we assume that a QEMU VM will run (very approximately) at 1/3 or 1/4 the speed of the hosting system, if you have a >2.8 Ghz processor, it is likely that the Win9x in it will run with the same feeling you would have on a 700÷900 Mhz machine.

If you put the virtual disk on a ramdisk, file I/O will fly.

Video won't work very fast though I haven't played at all with the different cards available in lates QEMU (0.10.x) or with alternative drivers like the bearwindows ones.

jaclaz

maybe was a little bit vague so since I already had qemu on here for something else I install 98se and it was ok except I got a BSOD near the end of the setup but I was able to restart and it was ok.

The problem I see is I can't seem to get over 16 colours because when it restarts it goes all funny so I restart the VM and I'm back to 16 colours again.