microsoft requires reregistration or else

Danbarr

I recently used my XP start up disc to repair my OS. (It worked!) While in the repair process I was prompted for my registration number which I inputed. The next day I got a window on startup that says that I MUST reregister my software online within 3 days because my hardware had changed significantly since the last loadup. It also said that if I did not register my XP software online within 3 days then my XP software would become inoperative. First of all my hardware has not changed significantly since the last formatting. Secondly, what if I was not online. Would I still be asked to reregister online? What about this threat to deactivate my XP OS? Is this a virus trying something nefarious? At this time there is an icon on my toolbar that looks like a pair of keys that. when clicked, prompts me to register my software. Anybody got some info on this veiled threat?

Thanks

Danbarr

I had the "3 days" reminder on one of my XP machines in the last week. All that happened was that I updated the BIOS then reset it to optimized defaults and changed the boot device order back to how it was.

I just activated it online which worked immediately and without problem, but I've gotta say that I wasn't happy that a BIOS update caused Windows to report a significant hardware change.

@Yzöwl

BIOS update in itself shouldn't be the direct cause.

jaclaz

Not necessarily. Granted I am experienced only with Intel and MSI BIOS updates, but have seen sometimes it load Setup Defaults (which can disable or enable devices depending on previous settings) or sometimes changes the date and time as well. So a BIOS update could do it for sure. Also, especially if you bought your PC from an OEM and it came with Windows installed already, and you did a BIOS update using a BIOS file NOT from the OEM's website, it could break the OEM Activation in Windows as well.

Not necessarily. Granted I am experienced only with Intel and MSI BIOS updates, but have seen sometimes it load Setup Defaults (which can disable or enable devices depending on previous settings) or sometimes changes the date and time as well. So a BIOS update could do it for sure. Also, especially if you bought your PC from an OEM and it came with Windows installed already, and you did a BIOS update using a BIOS file NOT from the OEM's website, it could break the OEM Activation in Windows as well.

Sure :), but actually:

All that happened was that I updated the BIOS then reset it to optimized defaults and changed the boot device order back to how it was.

it seems like the change to optimized defaults was performed manually by Yzöwl.

I suspect that change more than the actual BIOS update, but it could well be one, the other or both.

jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

I don't remember if this tweak will stop that registration crap or not. It's been buried in my regtweaks file for ages. It's worth a shot.

; Make XP Register with Microsoft Unnecessary (Windows Update)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion]

"RegDone"="1"

The OP said he had to register online within 3 days because of a hardware change (but in this case triggered by an OS reinstall), and given that registration is indeed not mandatory, the OP meant activation and we were responding in kind.