NT4

Hey guys I'm new to this neck of the woods. This is what i would like,

I have a old compaq armada 7380dmt and i'm going to install NT4 on it.

The specs are 4gb hdd, 128mb 233mhz. This is the hard part what i want to do is only install

the core system files meaning no IE, Direct X, Media Player etc... But i would like the updated system core files.

I know there is no nlite or something for this particular version.

Now i'm going to attach a USB HDD/DVD drive through

a USB PCMCIA because it don't have usb. And this will be my server. The only thing that will be shared is the external

devices. Thanks for the heads up.

Usually when you install NT4, it will be NT4 SP1 which comes with IE2 and no DirectX or Media Player.

Once you install SP6a you will have DirectX3.0a but don't think you will have Windows Media Player 6.4, you might have an older one mplayer.exe

I think it is possible to stop IE2 from installing but I haven't done it. If you install the network driver after SP6a and put the NT4 CD back in to copy the Networking stuff over this usually breaks stuff or means you have to install SP6a again

If you want FAT32 here is the R/W FAT32 Driver for NT4

http://www.winprj.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=84

USB Drivers for NT4, I have no idea about PCMCIA though

http://ftp1.us.dell.com/utility/R62200.EXE

Thanks for the input. Also i want to remove anything that is not used by the system core files etc....

Is anyone interested in creating a un-official pack?

Sorry if i'm not clear in my post but this is my first server.

I just want a server in tip-top shape without all the extras. Just system core files and all updates for them thanks.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Theres a little bit of selection in the installer so you can make sure you don't install stuff like Windows Messaging (think thats what it is) and other stuff you don't need but that only goes so far

... and in case you didn't know, here's the MS fixes (all of them) -

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winn...fixes/usa/nt40/

edit - err, not quite... but browse ennyhoo.

edit2 - brain-fart -

http://www.msfn.org/board/nt4-sp6a-gone-t130993.html

(dang - wasted a post... oh, well, maybe useful to someone else as a "pseudo-bump")

Edited by submix8c

Bearwindows made a slipstreamer. Referenced here or in the HFSLIP subforum, I forget which.

Wendy was working on an unofficial SP7 too.

Somewhere in the HFSLIP subforum is a slipstreamer that Tomcat76 made... we don't support it and don't encourage questions about it but if you do a search on nt4 sp7 it will probably come up.

I forget the exact file but sp6a replaces an NT4 system file with a driver. This was an error on MSFT's part and simply requires care if not using Tomcat's slipstreamer. We did it as a curiosity mainly and did not intend to merge it with HFSLIP.

I think it is possible to stop IE2 from installing but I haven't done it. If you install the network driver after SP6a and put the NT4 CD back in to copy the Networking stuff over this usually breaks stuff or means you have to install SP6a again

You joking right? :blink:

NT4 has NO IE "forced upon".

That was most of the work FDV :thumbup did, removing it ALSO from 2K.

jaclaz

Well IE2 is included in NT4 but I guess its not forced so much I thought there was supposed to be an INF file that could be deleted so that it wouldn't be there at all.

But yeah I have broken networking by installing with NT4 SP1 source, you get problems like the server service could not start.

AFAIK, NT4 is very specific with its driver support; if it was designed for NT4, it'll work, if not, it won't. I do know that NT4 does NOT support the WDM driver model used by 98/2000, but if my memory serves, WDM was based on NT4's. Still, I don't believe the two standards are compatible.

Edited by Sl@y3D for my n@me