Windows 7 install problem

weardowar

Interesting problem emerged today I just downloaded Windows 7 86x bits from Microsoft official page, it was a ISO image... nothing special there... however after burning it to a DVD and booting from it.. it gets stuck in "Windows is starting" screen.. and i mean stuck.. even after 10 minutes the **** thing still sits...

So i tried re-burning a new dvd... same **** story... it stops in the "Windows is starting" again... so i deleted my entire C: partition and tried again (thinking that my old windows install might be the problem) no.. still stops...

I know for a fact that being a Archive the information downloaded cant be corrupt.. can it?... should i try reinstalling windows xp and re downloading it? or the problem appears for what reason....

It's usual practice to verify your download using its 'file hash', these are provided in order for you to ensure that your download is not corrupted.

7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso

MD5: D0B8B407E8A3D4B75EE9C10147266B89

SHA-1: 5395DC4B38F7BDB1E005FF414DEEDFDB16DBF61

That said there's also the likelihood that you're having this problem due to a hardware conflict during the installation. In order to minimize this it may be worth checking that your system would be capable of running the new OS, the best way to do that is to use the upgrade advisor. I'd also suggest that it would be prudent to install one OS along side the other so that you're not faced with an alternative OS reinstall in the event of problems during the installation of the new one.

In all cases it appears that the problems from which you are suffering are of your own doing not Microsoft's

So let me pore in some more bad news... i mindlessly obeyed those instructions, started with installing a clean Windows Xp 32 bits.. and running the adviser... and as expected gave me a clean bill of health.. or what ever computers have, anyhow the **** thing recommended me to upgrade with no problem.

Right, after that i checked the file and it seems its not corrupted, fancy that (lets just say now i got 5 copies of it on dvds for no reason what so ever)

Therefore the last thing i can possibly think about is Hardware conflict... Hardware conflict? with what? and how... how can i possibly check that.. is there a hardware windows adviser?

Well then.. this sounds potentially bad, and by bad i mean catastrophic.

In hopes of actually understanding something i posted my computer configuration in hopes of a miracle...

Well then.. this sounds potentially bad, and by bad i mean catastrophic.

PS: When installing Windows 7 even with windows xp already installed i cant revert to it back.. every time you start the computer it quickly fast jumps into Windows 7 install not allowing me to choose any Previos installments.. the screen of choosing only last for 0.1 sec... so i need superman on the keyboard therefore the only way to access my computer again is to install xp all over >_>

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/4/2009

Machine name: The Machine

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 221MB used, 4734MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

-

Edited by weardowar

First things first if you are unable to access the boot menu then you should be able to use your XP installation disk and do a repair without having to reinstall XP.

You need to make sure that you are burning your ISOs correctly on suitable quality media and at an appropriate speed. Using the VM as suggested by cluberti, and firstly mounting the ISO to see how it installs, then repeating that with your burned DVD will go some way to ruling out the bad burn scenario.

You could then try typing the result of those tests in your next response without using expletives.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got the same issue on a machine that has no problems whatsoever. she currently runs XP and vista on twin hard drives and im attempting to overwrite the vista drive with the identical .iso file, ive burned 2 dvds so far at max speed (dvds are standard DVD-R quality, not knock offs/rewriteables etc)

ill try one at a lower speed and report back in, hopefully that works. also for those of you more savvy in microsoft error reporting gibberish this is the error produced by my tower when it installs.

"Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017"

This is the only thing holding me back from giving windows 7 a test and making full use of my shiny comp that ive got >.<

Any further insight would be swell (the problem isnt hardware or any other things wrong, i run both vista x32 and XP x64 on this tower at present and ran the x32 windows 7 beta last year for a while on the same tower, this is a file image problem)

[...]"Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017"

That is exactly the erros seen when using media burnt at high speeds. As previously suggested, try burning the media at 1x - 4x and you'll see the issue will be gone. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip nitro! I actually just successfully installed using the .iso through poweriso, but now i have the key for an enterprise version, but its not suggesting that it runs the upgrade for ultimate to enterprise.... any new suggestions? ^^

Edit: i ran the setup process through, on the upgrade setting this time, and entered the respective key for the edition i had... but it still didnt like it :/

Anyone have a link to a ~7~ enterprise edition .iso to download? that might shave some time off the troubleshooting

Edited by Cynincomic

1.b Respect the requests of companies who do not permit redistribution of their products without express permission - including unmodified hotfix/feature pack packages. Download sources for official software should be from the vendor directly where possible. Posts made containing this type of content may be removed immediately without warning, and offenders may be banned on first violation.

The only valid links to downloading an ISO of Windows 7 Enterprise would be from Technet or MSDN for subscribers, or from your Volume Licensing software page (since you have an enterprise key, you do have a Microsoft volume licensing agreement... right?).

Otherwise, links elsewhere would be links to a product that Microsoft does not provide the rights to redistribute, and that would violate rule 1.b here.