No Access to Drive C after unattended Setup

I´m desperately seeking for help with installing Win 7 Pro X64 unattended with waik.

The anser file i´m using is a minimal version like the waik docs without any modifications.

The setup works without any problems. When generalizing the PC and activating OOBE the system restarts and asks for user, computername and serial as usual.

But after the first login the system drive© is unaccessible with unknown owner. when i take ownership and grant the user full access rights to drive C, the system initially seems to operate without flaws. But then there are some strange things(Problems with installing updates via Windows Update, MCE is terribly slow between the configuration steps(over three minutes between configuring monitor and speakers...).

It seems that some files in use, didn´t get the access rights applied. Maybe there are some registry keys with wrong access rights?

Does anyone know why i am locked out from my system drive after sysprep?

Many thanks in advance

tomha

• 3 weeks later...

Even without any reply i want to inform this community about my further tests on this problem:

Once again i want do describe the problem:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When installing W7 unattended in audit mode the Owner of Drive C is Trusted Installer an the File Permissions are the following:

Authenticated Users: special

System: full

Admins: full

Users: read, list folders, execute

After generalizing the computer and activating oobe the computer restarts and drive C is not accessible anymore

The Owner of the drive C is unknown and the SID of this owner correspondends to the Administrator account in Audit mode

File Permissions are the following:

System: full

unknown account(with SID corresponding to the Administrator account in audit mode): full

Admins: full

Then i tried to take ownership of drive c and gave the actual user full file permissions. Then drive C was accessible again. Some files on this drive seem to not have set the right permissions so they are still inaccessible. This results in some functions not working properly(Windows Update, EventViewer(security)...). I can set the file permissons manually an so the eventviewer for example works without problems, but i never can be sure that there are not other files with wrong permissions

and therefore some functions not working properly. So this computer cannot be rolled out to my customer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further tests showed:

First of all there is no difference in this problem between WAIK and the Win7 OPK

I tried a simple autounattend.xml file according to the WAIK documentation and all went without problems.

So i tested the differences of my autounattend.xml file and the "WAIK" file step by step and found the problem arising when installing a dataimage in WindowsPE Pass.

The idea behind this dataimage is to inject my oemlogo.bmp since the usage of $OEM$ folders isnt recommended anymore.

The dataimage consists of a folder called windows with a folder called medv in it and the oemlogo.bmp file in the folder medv.

This dataimage is installed to disk 0 partition 1 in the WindowsPE pass.

So when trying to apply a dataimage the owner and file permissons of drive C are messed up after sysprep with /oobe /generalize

Without the dataimage all works normally.

@Brandon:

There is no problem with WU. WU was not working due to wrong file permissions on drive C

I tried W7 OPK with showed the same behaviour

Does anyone know How to install a data image in Windows PE without messing up system drive permissons?

tomha

The idea behind this dataimage is to inject my oemlogo.bmp
Delete the snip with the data image, obviously that is the source of the problem. The easy way is to copy your OEM logo/badge onto your machine before you sysprep, and use the logo registry setting.

Check and make sure your image is showing up at My Computer > Properties. After confirmation, sysprep>generalize and shutdown your machine. Run your image capture software and then install your newly syspreped image on a different machine and report back.

The second sample has a few more common OEM setting in case you get bored and want to go all out.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation]

"Logo"="\\windows\\system32\\oobe\\info\\Dell_BADGE.bmp"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation]

@=""

"Manufacturer"="Dell"

"Model"=""

"Logo"="\\windows\\system32\\oobe\\info\\Dell_BADGE.bmp"

"SupportPhone"="1-800-624-9896 (XPS 1-800-232-8544)"

"SupportURL"="http://www.Dell.com"

"SupportHours"="In the United States, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Start Menu]

"OEMLogoUri"="file://c:\\windows\\system32\\oobe\\info\\Dell_MCE_LOGO.p ng"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winsat\WindowsExperienceIndexOem Info]

"Logo"="\\windows\\system32\\oobe\\info\\Dell_BAR.png"

Just a time saving tip, any of the good imaging solutions will allow you to edit your image offline. That way you don't need to re-run sysprep for minor file changes. Can even make minor registry changes if you mount your HIVE files (for advanced users only)
since the usage of $OEM$ folders isnt recommended anymore.

Question: Who says you cannot use $OEM$ folders ? AFAIK $OEM$ still works fine with Windows 7.

Edited by MrJinje

@ MrJinje

Thanks for your Reply!

Of course i do not use the Dataimage anymore. I know that $OEM$ Folders are still working but since MS said the correct way to inject Files into an unattended Setup would be using a wim file as data image i did so.

The oemlogo.bmp is placed at the desired location but this isn´t very helpful when the os isn´t usable after generalizing.

So i will copy the oemlogo manually to the pc or will use $OEM$ folders

Thanks again

tomha