[Fixed] OSCDIMG corrupting .WIM file

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the previous help.

Right now I'm having an issue with OSCDIMG corrupting my wim files when I make the ISO's. ??? I'm copying the WIM files to a new PC running win 7 also and see if something is messed up on my developing box.

I've tested my WIMs with imagex /info and they are fine but once I make the ISO files using OSCDIMG I can then mount or check the DVD and the WIM files are corrupt. I'm using the same imagex.exe file to create and check/deploy the WIM files with.

If I apply my wim files manually from a HDD they work fine, it is just once created an ISO using OSCDIMG the Win7.WIM becomes corrupt. I should add that the BOOT.WIM is fine.

Has anyone see this sort of thing?

Thanks again guys,

Randy

Edited by randalldale

Mr Jinje,

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I have to use Microsoft tools as I work in a corporate environment that requires correct licenses. I will say that my boot structure is not an issue as the BOOT.WIM works fine, it is just my WIN7.WIM is corrupt after ISO creation.

I posted last night before I left for the evening to see if anyone was having the same issues. Since no one posted that they were I will try a clean install and recreation process and let everyone know.

Randy

Ok Guys,

It appears that it I did not fix it. The image is working fine using OSCDIMG up until I sysprep it. Once sysprep the image is fine if I do an image.exe /info. When I use oscdimg to create the ISO file and mount or burn the DVD when I use image.exe /info the file is now invalid. Here is the oscdimg tag I used.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>oscdimg.exe -bx:\Win7-EA\iso\boot\etfsboot.com -n -m -lWin7-EA -D1 x:\Win7-EA\iso x:\Win7-EA-disk-1.iso

Note: the Boot.wim works fine as the system boots without issue. Also I have tried this on two seperate development PCs and both fail at the same location. I'm syspreping a Windows 7 Enterprise build.

Got to say it has me stumped... :blushing: No one has experienced this? I would suspect the development PC or the imaging PC but the install.wim file works fine manually applying from my HDD from any of the 6 indexes.

I think I just figured it out.... :lol:

I need to split the file because it is larger than 4.0 GBs... that is why the iso is failing, limitation of the DVD ISO 9660.

Really bad part is I've deleted several nice WIM builds. :thumbup

Boy was that a wasted two days. :w00t: Just loaded it in VMware and it is working fine.

Edited by randalldale

The 4GB limit only when talking about ISO's of 9660 format. As Gosh said you could have used UDF without the need for splitting. Either way works as long as it gets the job done. Below is some info for future readers.

9660 - UDF - Comparison - About halfway down the comparison, you'll find ISO 9660 is limited to 4GB while UDF can handle 16 Exabytes. (16 million gigabytes)

Oscdimg Command Line syntax - Set the ISO UDF only with the -u2 command.

-u2

Produces an image that has only the UDF file system on it. Any system not capable of reading UDF will only see a default text file alerting the user that this image is only available on computers that support UDF. This option cannot be combined with the -n, -nt, or -d options.

AFAIK Windows 7 has the UDF driver built in Edited by MrJinje

I guess I could try it but I was going from the OSCDIMG.EXE /? ... 'This option cannot be combined with the -n, -nt, or -d options.'

Yep, but it doesn't say "WARNING: if you use -u2 you can use only 8.3 names". :whistle:

The ISO9660 NEEDS the "-n" to add the ISO9660 extensions for long file names, UDF should have "long file names" since the very beginning.

FYI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/oscdimg-error-t111776.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz