Running win 7 advisor on old msoft OS'

mikesw

I have an old IBM netvista 6794-21U computer running windows 2k pro sp4.

When I try to run windows 7 adivsor v2.0 on it, it complains that it isn't a valid win32 application.

I realize w7 advisor doesn't run on w2k based on msofts site; however, how can I determine if my

old computer will run win 7.

Thus, is there a way to make win 7 adivisor run either from an MSDOS command prompt floppy

or to load as a standalone from a CD/DVD disk which makes it independent of what OS is loaded

on the computer since I wouldn't have to boot into any particular OS that the w7 advisor doesn't like?

:wacko:

Edited by mikesw

No, it must run from an XP system or a Vista system - however, given the specs on your PC, you may want to make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM (your system ships with 128MB by default unless it was upgraded on purchase, and can accept a max of 1.5GB, 512MBx3) and a larger hard disk than the 40GB IDE drive that initially shipped. Also, if you want Aero Glass effects and the DWM features, you'll need a newer video card that is capable of running these (that system shipped with an nVidia Vanta 16MB card initially). The P4/1.8GHz CPU won't be blisteringly fast, but it is enough to run Win7. Just don't expect to multitask with speed as you do on Windows 2000 (or even Windows XP) with that CPU and even 1.5GB of RAM.

No, it must run from an XP system or a Vista system - however, given the specs on your PC, you may want to make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM (your system ships with 128MB by default unless it was upgraded on purchase, and can accept a max of 1.5GB, 512MBx3) and a larger hard disk than the 40GB IDE drive that initially shipped. Also, if you want Aero Glass effects and the DWM features, you'll need a newer video card that is capable of running these (that system shipped with an nVidia Vanta 16MB card initially). The P4/1.8GHz CPU won't be blisteringly fast, but it is enough to run Win7. Just don't expect to multitask with speed as you do on Windows 2000 (or even Windows XP) with that CPU and even 1.5GB of RAM.

I've maxed out the memory to 1.5gigs, added a 1 terabyte drive and have an nvidia TNT2 64 meg which according

to Msoft requires at least 128megs of video memory. I believe the other requirement is to have at least directx 9

capability on the video card, which the TNT2 isn't spec'd for.

So at least from what you've said, I stand a good chance of running win 7 if the video card is upgraded.

Correct - the hardware is capable (again, short of Aero/DWM, but you already know that), although I would check your software packages as well that you plan on installing for compatibility there as well (again, since the tool won't run, you'll have to do some of this on your own).