How To Create A Bootable Windows 7 USB From Ubuntu.

alrichdesa

I believe this topic is out of place but since it involves Windows I decided to ask for help here. I decided to try Linux Ubuntu as my only OS. Now I have Linux installed and I want to switch to Windows 7 (which I used earlier)...There seem to be so many tools to create Bootable USB's for Linux (From Windows/From Linux) but there seem to be no tools for Windows (from Linux)...

I have a Windows 7 ISO and I wish to create a bootable USB stick. I have a 4 gig USB drive and a Windows 7 x64 ISO...

Can someone please show me how to create a bootable WINDOWS 7 USB FROM WITHIN LINUX?

Sorry my English is horrible.

I believe this topic is out of place but since it involves Windows I decided to ask for help here. I decided to try Linux Ubuntu as my only OS. Now I have Linux installed and I want to switch to Windows 7 (which I used earlier)...There seem to be so many tools to create Bootable USB's for Linux (From Windows/From Linux) but there seem to be no tools for Windows (from Linux)...

I have a Windows 7 ISO and I wish to create a bootable USB stick. I have a 4 gig USB drive and a Windows 7 x64 ISO...

Can someone please show me how to create a bootable WINDOWS 7 USB FROM WITHIN LINUX?

Sorry my English is horrible.

Let's separate the chores:

1. create a bootable USB from Ubuntu <-your problem
  2. make the already bootable USB boot Windows 7 <- this topic

With reference to #1 above what "linux" loader are you currently using on the USB stick (Syslinux or GRUB)?

With reference to #2 above are you wanting to have a Windows 7 running from a USB stick? Or are you wanting the USB stick to boot to a Windows 7 setup (in order to install Windows 7 on an internal hard disk)?

jaclaz

In Response To MSFN dev jaclaz

#2 I Wish to use the USB stick as an install source and not as an install location. Hopefully to speed up the installation process. I plan on making Windows 7 my only OS on my computer. I have done it before using Windows(many times for friends)...But I just don't know how to do it in Linux.

#1 I'm new to Linux...I have absolutely no clue about #1. I believe its a GRUB. But I wouldn't know for sure...All I want is my dear Windows back...So simple so easy to use.

Even though this may not be a Linux forum I plead...you help me get Windows up and running. Please understand my situation...

Well, you can check the contents of the stick as is, I get that it is already bootable.

you could have in either ROOT of the stick or in a /boot folder files like:

menu.lst

or

syslinux.cfg

or

syslinux.conf

First one "means" GRUB, either of the latter two "means" syslinux.

The easiest in your situation would be adding if it's GRUB, grub4dos to the stick and the Windows 7 files, if it's Syslinux you may need to update to a later release.

From either grub4dos or latish syslinux you can boot the Windows 7 BOOTMGR.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz