How to minimize office 2007 install footprint

Patosan

My copy of office 2007 Enterprise does a complete install, I can remove all but excel, word and powerpoint post install, but the hidden Installer folder of WINDOWS is 897M ... almost defeats the purpose of removing most components. How can I get the install size to reflect what I'm using ? Or is there a way to modify the office iso to show an install menu, which could then reduce the install for the 3 apps only that I want ?

I've been trying this in vpc 2007 so far, here is a pic of the folder tree.

post-232949-1259596697_thumb.jpg

Ok not much luck with reponses thus far, so here's a slightly different question.

How many Meg does ms office 2007 excel, word & pwerpoint usually consume ?

Or how much do the various flavors of office use ?

Is there some place I can find this info ?

Not the system requirements, since these are usually quite rubbery ... I'm after your experience on real usage.

Also : If you use the install menu to not install all apps in the ms office suite, does the whole suite still get copied to MSOCache or LIS folder ? Is that the way it usually works ?

My point is I'm trying to minimize the windows and office footprints in C Drive, if as I suspect the whole lot gets copied to C Drive anyway, then it would be better for me to get hold of a student version of office, since the whole must be MUCH less than professional, enterprise, etc. Any advice, comments welcome.

While I'm in question mode here's another, has anyone slimmed down office ?

Not shrinking the install iso size, rather reducing services, etc as in nLite ?

Edited by Patosan

The main disk space usage is due to 2 places which cache install information, these are:

1) MSOCache, which is almost a complete copy of the install files, which contains the data for parts of the suite you haven't installed too (in my case, Outlook is stored here, even though I don't have it installed)

2) Service pack MSP/MSI packages in the Installer folder (the Office 2007 SP2 MSP is 327mb! In total, mine come to 387mb

For me, the usage in MSOCache for the standard edition of Office 2007 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) is 300mb. Altogether, the cached files amount to approximately 700mb

For office 2003, I read that you could remove the MSOCache folder, but you'll likely run into problems by removing the folder for 2007, as I did.

If you did delete the source MSOCache folder & Installer files, I think you'd also have problems upgrading the suite to any later service pack, and the same might apply with hotfixes... :(

FYI, it is worth looking at this post, which has a guide on administrative installs etc: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=493938

Edited by TronBoRG