WINNT.SIF issues

Hi everyone. I've been trying to activate in the past 28 hours, got some problems with it.

Ok, I have some issues with my winnt.sif file. First thing: I don't want to have an unattended setup. I want the setup to behave just like my original WinXP SP2 CD behaves during the setup. So I tried to make the SIF file to make the setup behave just as the original CD. I want a "attended" installation.

All that I really wanted with this CD was just to put the CD-key in it, and nothing else, and SP3 and 69 updates of "MS Update" of course. There are more than 69 updates of course, but some I install manually, since they only become necessary when installing other MS software, like .NETs 1.1 to 3.5 SP1, "GFW Live", the new messenger, etc...

But other than the updates, only wanted to include the CD-key. So I really wish this disc worked just like the original one. After so many ISOs, I quit. I came for help.

Now, here are the issues then:

1- I don't get the "welcome" screen (press enter to install XP now) and the "Eula" screen (F8 to accept the contract). It is going direct to the partition screen. Is this "bluescreen" the one you call "text mode" ? Anyways, I wish I still got these two screens previously to the partition screen;

2- The "15 seconds" of waiting in the text mode are working again, after some ISOs testing, but I'm also getting a "15 seconds" in GUI mode, after the system finished to install itself (and then these fifteen seconds happen, and just after it is that you get to the boot that will load the system and take you to the "welcome - help protect your PC - create user account" screens). The original CD has 15 seconds just in text mode. Is there anyway to rectify the waiting in GUI mode ?;

3- I'm getting the EULA in the beginning of GUI mode (when you see there's "39 minutes left" for the installation). You already know that I wish it to be available in text mode as is with the original CD, but ONLY in text mode, not during GUI setup;

4- I still have access to "windows messenger 4.7" and "outlook express". Wasn't I supposed to not have messenger installed, and OE and WAB being installed but not being accessible ? (According to the COMPONENTS field ?)

5- "TargetPath=\WINDOWS". Do I really need this line ?

In fact, can you point out to me any unnecessary lines, please ?

I do make some "cosmetic changes" to the CD, like putting "SP3" in the place of "SP2" on the EULA, and also on the EULA, change the last line from "EULAID:XPSP2_RM.0_PRO_RTL_BR" to "EULAID:XPSP3_RM.0_PRO_RTL_BR".

I also create the "WIN51IP.SP1" file manually (since the original SP2 CD does not have it and nLite does not create it), and I also write "Windows" (Windows + a space + an ENTER, to be equal to the WIN51IP.SP2) inside the "WIN51IP.SP3" file, which, again, nLite does not do. But I don't think this cosmetic treatment gets in the way of the setup or the SIF file.

I would also like to take this opportunity to ask if anyone knows a way to save the "non-user HID" update of the "MS Update" site, or an alternative link/site for it. Everytime I try to copy it, it downloads and installs so quickly, the directory is erased after setup. I think it has something to do with screensavers and videoboards (this XP update). Tried the download center, no luck. Don't remember the KB number. But for me it has to be PTB (PT-BR).

And you only get one shot per XP installation. So, trying to copy it again means "reinstall XP", and you have like 1 to 3 seconds to copy the past during the KB installation. It's really annoying, specially when one thinks that XP will have its support lift at some point, and this update will vanish if MS does not let us save it manually.

Thanks for any help.

Here's the content of WINNT.SIF, created through a mix of two single files created by "nLite" and "deployment tools", respectively, and with some manual touches here and there:

"

; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

UnattendSwitch="No"

OemPreinstall=No

OemSkipEula="No"

FileSystem=*

WaitForReboot="Yes"

NoWaitAfterTextMode=0

NoWaitAfterGUIMode=0

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OemSkipWelcome=0

OEMSkipRegional=0

[userData]

ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

FullName=""

OrgName=""

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language= "0416"

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=GRUPO

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off

oeaccess=off

"

Edited by snakejv

hi! i didn't want to start new topic for this as part of snakejv's concern is somewhat related to mine.

this is how simple my winnt.sif looks like:

[Data]

MSDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

this already enables me to skip the EULA during text mode copy but in gui mode @ t-39, i still get the prompt to agree to the license agreement. how can i have winnt.sif skip this? i tried looking in the unattended site but can't seem to find which applies. your support will be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

> All that I really wanted with this CD was just to put the CD-key in it, and nothing else

Situation: You want a generic Windows XP installation CD that has all the screens intact for entering user and computer information, partitioning and formatting your drive(s) and the options for repairing Windows installations, but you are tired of typing the product key in each time you install Windows XP

Solution: Use the following WINNT.SIF files

XP SP2 slipstreamed CD

[Data]MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[userData]

ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

XP SP1 slipstreamed CD

[Data]MSDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

[userData]

ProductKey="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

kind of silly that Microsoft places such emphasis on where you use quotes in an unattended setup answer file... this drove me nuts for a few days, until I finally got it right, with some help from people in this forum. so hopefully, this will save someone else a lot of time and headaches

Minimum needed in WINNT.SIF to insert key - XP SP3

[Data]

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

[userData]

ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

ProductKey and UnattendedInstall can be with or without quotes.

[Data]

MSDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

this already enables me to skip the EULA during TEXT MODE

Thanks -X-, but, as Kiki stated, if I follow your suggestion, I will have the EULA skipped in text mode.

But, as I said in my very first post in this forum, I really wanted a CD that has my CD-Key and updates from MS, but that behaves just like the original CD.

And the original CD has the EULA in text mode.

I'm also having an issue of seeing the EULA just in GUI mode, which is wrong in comparison to the original disk. So my SIF may have the right string (OEMSkipEULA=No), only it is working for GUI mode, not for text mode.

I'm also having issues with the 15s thing. You see, the original CD has 15s waiting in text mode to restart the PC, but not in the GUI mode. My current SIF makes both modes having 15s of waiting, and I don't know how to make it behave like the original CD.

So my case and Kiki's are totally different.

I would like to ask a favor for any newcomers to this topic, read my first post (the opening one). It is very clear, I think. I've spent all november trying to make this disc, tossing many CDs away test after test, and since I'm almost close to perfect it, is why I reached out for some help.

Thanks.

Edited by snakejv

Kiki_Burgh

[unattended]

OemSkipEula="Yes"

hey thanks Sp0iLedBrAt! i'll put this in but is this not for the text-mode phase?
Setting this option to Yes will skip the EULA screen which you already read when you used Setup Manager. Setting this option to No will mean you have to press F8 on the keyboard to accept the license during text-mode Setup.
i don't get the EULA during pre-GUI mode anymore & didn't get EULA before during the GUI-mode phase (at t-39) either with my simple .sif ... haven't done any changes to it since. could there be changes from sp2 to sp3 that might have led to this? thanks again. cheers! Edited by Kiki Burgh

hi! in relation to some winnt.sif settings that don't seem to apply as expected, i have another 2 settings that might need corrections, namely:

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates=[b][color="#0000FF"]Yes[/color][/b]

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
Yresolution=768
Vrefresh=60
AutoConfirm=[b][color="#0000FF"]1[/color][/b]

for the 1st, i still get the mini setup (Help Protect Your PC Now) while for the 2nd, i guess the dimension settings do not take effect because the confirmation prompt still comes up abt my current resolution isn't correct for Windows XP. your feedback will be greatly appreciated. cheers!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

For the first I think you need this, but if I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

[GuiUnattended]

OemSkipWelcome=1

For the second, well..., are your graphic drivers installed BEFORE the resolution comes into effect? Since the default resolution is 800x600. What you want to do works for me, but I use nLite and integrate drivers.

[Display]

Xresolution=1024

Yresolution=768

BitsPerPel=32

Vrefresh=60

once again thanks Sp0iLeDBrAt! :D i'll modify my winnt.sif & try your suggestions ... as for the 2nd 1, i suppose you're right. i didn't run DRVCOMP/DRIVERBACKUP79 to gather the inifs & put them back in there. btw, i already got rid of the license agreement at t-39 based on what you suggested. truly strange though, that never popped up in my runs using my old answer file. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

First off, sorry if someone thinks I'm trying to "hijack" this topic.

Second, I would like (more or less) the same as snakejv, only with this difference: The ONLY thing I want winnt.sif to do is "DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore" thanks do this: http://www.msfn.org/board/battery-hardware...up-t112054.html

Everytime I try to modify the winnt.sif, the text part of the setup skips to the partition selection.

Even when I add OemSkipEula=No, still skips ahead....

I thought this would work:

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=GuiAttended
OemSkipEula=No
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

but it's not.

Any idea's?

XP Home SP3

Edited by bartgrefte

• 2 weeks later...
[Display]

Xresolution=1024

Yresolution=768

BitsPerPel=32

Vrefresh=60

hi Sp0iLedBrAt! didn't work even after slipstreaming drivers :( posted my issues here & here too (i.e, vid resolution, vid driver + dx)

btw, has snakejv addressed his concerns? i wonder what happened & it'd be informative to read about how he resolved it.

Edited by Kiki Burgh