problem with my nvidia riva display adapter

xionxinks

Hello I have been having trouble with my nvidia riva tnt2 model 64 pro display adapter. Whenever I enable hardware acceleration my screen will go black for a couple of seconds then go to normal then it will do it again, it does this until I disable hardware acceleration. Please help.

Which OS?

What version of drivers?

From memory, (it was a long time since I had the card), ForceWare drivers would allow to be installed on that card up to version 7X.XX, but there is no benefit in doing so (they had only optimizations/functions for later generations of Nvidia cards), the best (fastest and most compatible) version of the drivers for that card was Detonator 2X.XX (26?). I write this from memory, so it might not be so accurate.

GL

It should say what version it is in the nvidia tab in display in the control panel.

Besides 98SE doesn't include a driver for the TNT2 and you should have installed the driver unless you used a driver CD?

I got the pc from a friend and didn't install any of the hardware myself so I wouldnt know how he installed it. But the driver I think is Nvidia Riva TNT2 model 64 pro version 4.14.10.7184 I think that is it I don't know sorry. So I guess its software version is 4.0, I cant get to the nvidia tab unless I enable hardware acceleration and that makes the screen not work correctly

That's 71.84 (recommended by NVidia if you search on their download page), but I still think it's better to find older version (archive).

Even downloading and reinstalling the same version might help. I remember drivers of that time were somewhat difficult to uninstall, so proceed with caution.

If it's properly installed, it should at least work, but if it doesn't, that indicates some other possible problem with computer that old. Also, maybe DirectX should be updated?

And this topic better be moved to Windows 9X forum, someone there might provide better help?

GL

*Edit: typos

Edited by GrofLuigi

I have the NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro running on a W98SE box with hardware acceleration set on FULL and no problems. Driver version is 4.14.10.4403 dated 05-02-2003, Forceware version 44.03, DirectX 9.0c

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....php?p_faqid=199

The last Forceware unified display driver which supported the Riva TNT family was driver version 44.03. You may download this driver from our driver archive page from the links below:

For Microsoft Windows XP/2000:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_44.03.html

For Microsoft Windows 98/Me:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_44.03.html

I remember drivers of that time were somewhat difficult to uninstall, so proceed with caution.

NVIDIA drivers do not uninstall well with their own uninstallers or from the Add/Remove Programs.  Use Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 to remove them completely before reinstalling any other version.

Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 does support 9x and is freeware but finding a download location seems to be getting more difficult. It is still available from the following link.

ftp://files.3dnews.ru/pub/drivers/DCProSetup_15.zip

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger

Thanks for the unistall cleaner program but I already downloaded the driver for 9x and when I go to install it a message comes up saying it couldn't detect any nvidia display chips so I don't know what to do about the driver.

The only thing the installer does is create an Nvidia directory (C:\Nvidia) and put the files in it. You have to install the driver.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Adapter>Change

Choose Search for a better driver and click Next

Choose Specify a location

Browse to C:\Nvidia\Win9x\44.03 and click Next

If it asks for "Disk 1" or anything else, keep pointing it to

C:\Nvidia\Win9x\44.03