Win7 + Ubuntu dual boot + backup (FYI)

seamuso

I recently noticed that my win7 backups were not working, event viewer error 0x8007002 .. I initially believed it to be something I had installed along the way so I decide to reinstall (win7 x86_64 OEM) this past weekend and perform step by step tests to see when it began failing.

On Tuesday night, I got around to reconnecting my ubuntu (karmic) drive and set my mb default boot to that drive and kept going as normal. Then I decided to try a win7 backup and it failed.

What I've determined per my system setup is that when I boot win7 from grub, backup fails with the 0x80070002 error, but when I boot directly from the win7 drive using the installed win7 MBR, backup works correctly again.

I know I can get this to repeat on my system, secondary confirmation would be great. I use separate drives for my operating systems so for me, it's as easy as hitting my esc key during bootup and choosing whatever boot device I want.

I also wanted to make sure this is at least in some small way documented somewhere in the event there are others running into the same thing.

What this affected for me -

Macrium Reflect fails backups (needs working VSS)

Windows backup fails

Windows backup system image creation fails

Windows system restore fails to create new restore points (restored to a previous time, the system restore point to revert back to original failed to create during the restore process)

• 1 month later...

Hi. I'd just like to confirm the above. I have been running into the 'system cannot find the file specified' 0x80070002 error consistently when running backups in Windows 7 Professional x64, after trying pretty much every suggestion I could find from MS or others on the web, and pretty conclusively ruling out disk error. As the very last thing to try, I went with the option of booting directly into the drive containing Windows 7, bypassing Grub, and...it worked !

Not sure I'm too happy about that actually: Permanently bypassing the boot-loader is not a desirable option for me, and as the whole point of backup software is to automatically run in the background, on a set schedule, having to manually boot up Windows this way just to run backups is impractical.

Still can't figure out *why* it works...or for that matter why Windows won't play nice with other systems in general (sure, just overwrite the MBR, who cares what other OS the user has installed...), but greatly appreciate someone pointing the issue out -- I'd never have guessed that dual-boot had anything to do with it. Thanks seamuso !

Now back to 3rd-party s/w for backups...

I remember having read that vss was changed with server 2008 and later, so it must have all partitions ntfs formatted. Cannot find the source though, but believe no partition can be FAT*. Linux fs should be ok as it is seen as unallocated to windows.

If it works fine when booting directly to bootmgr, why not install an nt6 bootsector in your mbr and chainload grub with a pointer to a bootsector in your BCD?

Joakim