mup.sys help

rldelrosario

good day to all.

all of a sudden my lenovo y310 with windows xp pro would not boot. when i tried it in safe mode, it hangs up at mup.sys.

i've already reomoved any usb attachements (mouse, ipod) and tried booting it but it hangs on the blue screen and then reboots again.

any suggestions. i'd like to avoid reformatting the thing cause it would mean loosing all my files.

thanks again to all.

ronald

It's not always mup.sys, that's just the last driver that's displayed on that screen. There was a page from Microsoft (or a blog) explaining this, but I am unable to find it now...

My point is, it could easily be another driver, so more information is needed... And/or more advanced troubleshooting techniques, whatever they might be. :unsure:

GL

This is true. Many people think its MUP.SYS, but its actually the driver/library that is being loaded AFTER MUP.SYS. To see what this file is, do a Step-By-Step boot option, then it will prompt you to do a Y/N for each driver, and you can see what comes after MUP.SYS.

Also note that it can be disk corruption (chkdsk /r to fix if you can boot in safe mode) or hardware problems that can cause this, and if you do a step-by-step boot and the hang happens in the same place with no other driver prompt, you don't have many options short of making sure the hardware is ok - you may end up having to do a repair installation of Windows to get the machine working well if the above steps don't help.